+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does a new tank survive

How does a new tank survive

Hi i just hit 80 today got my defense cap up to 540 but the healers are telling me i'm to hard to healer the dps are complaining i'm to easy to pull aggro off of..so what do i do to surive and gear up my lil baby warrior tank?

Yell at the dps for pulling agro and tell the healers to suck it up.... Don't do massive AoE pulls like an T10 can do. Mark targets for single target dps instead of AoE. Practice crowd control for Cataclysm!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    the dps are complaining i'm to easy to pull aggro off of..
    My DK tank is at the point where all but 3 items are 264 (neck/bracers/trinket) and I have that issue... mainly it is dps not attacking marked targets or attacking before the tank even gets to the mobs.
    I have had it in Gundrak in the room after the snake boss, where I have pulled the first group of snakes and am waiting for hte trolls to pat to me, when I see a ranged dps already hitting the trolls, before I even taunt them or anything.

As to how to handle dps that won't throttle their threat, hard to say, since when my pally ends up tanking is usually when the tank bails or is so bad that he gets voted out. But I tell people that I'm still getting used to paladin tanking and go easy, and it usually works....

So maybe try something along of the lines of "hey guys, could you throttle the dps down a bit, I'm still trying to get my gear up to snuff, so bear with me"

True they get impatience easily since i'm a cautious tank and since new i only wanna pull one group of mobs at a time because i don't want to shellshock the healer

I just hit 80 as well 2 weeks ago. my gear is slowly getting better 4300 gs,but the best thing i found out to help with aggro is to get your rotation in order and do it consistently. I take it your having problems with group aggro and not a single target? I usually charge in, TC, take a step back as this will usually funnel them in and then i shockwave,cleave, then start the tab'n shield slam, devastate, revenge...more cleaves. So far i've been holding aggro pretty good doing it like this, even when my dps out gears me. If you do mark your targets you'll have to start your shield slam/dev/revenge on your primary. If your dps does its job and hits what they are suppose to then the TC and cleave will hold the rest on you until you've pissed off the primary enough to start tab'n through the field.

also don't let the "GO-GO-GO" guys rush you into anything. If they are in a hurry and start pulling for you don't rescue their asses. They will only do it once or twice before they learn or quit the group. For every dps in a dungeon there's 10 more waiting in que to take their place.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ur-Tank-in-LFD

Gear guide is there.

A link to your armory plus a roguh break down of multi mob and single target rotations will help us pin down areas to improve. Tanking is a hard job so it takes time to get good.

Learn to prioritize your targets, healer and caster mobs are usually really weak and most of the time DPS can overaggro them without causing any strain on the healer. There are exceptions and in ICC 5men instances you should try to hold aggro on everything because even caster-mobs are significantly stronger than in 3.0 heroic 5men instances. Also some of the casters in Old Kingdoms deal relatively large amounts of damage.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Here my tank thus far as i get new good items with badges i enchant and gem them

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...od&cn=Gearhand

Daunting Handguards are crafted by blacksmith, cheap mats and definately better than whatever green stuff you have.
    Zul'Drak also has some rare quality tanking weapons that you should consider getting until better drops from heroics.
    Last edited by Crommi; 05-18-2010 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Zul'Drak..Zul'Farrak, damn trolls and their names...
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

^^ I think he meant Zul'Drak
    Check wow-loot.com

There are some quest based tanking rewards in that zone.

If you're not making major mistakes, a healer who has trouble keeping you up is either

a) undergeared himself, or
    b) he's bad and/or lazy.

Get the Glyph of Shield Wall and take 2/2 Improved Disciplines. Use Shield Block to small pulls and Shield Wall on larger ones, and use them early, because that's when you're most likely to get gibbed. Use the Glyph of Cleaving and spam Cleave for all it's worth. Remember that your goal is not to get to where you can tank Icecrown; it's to get to where you can tank any five-man without whining from four random people.

Farm the living daylights out of ToC regular. You can do a lot with ilvl 200 epics and the stuff that drops in there is itemized beautifully. Grind regular FoS and PoS as soon as you can get away with it -- even if it takes forever to get the drops you want, you'll be collecting badges at the same time.

Regular ToC, FoS, and PoS will tend to group you with players who aren't horribly overgeared, since those are usually only farmed by people who are just starting to gear up.

Wait for AV weekend, you can farm full 264 plate parts. Socket em with 30 stam gems and you'll have insane EH that surpasses the loss of avoidance from t9 level gear available from badges, replace them once you get some icc gear.

You can also do random Bgs but its slower, especially as horde.
    Last edited by gacktt; 05-18-2010 at 02:05 PM.

buddy...ur the tank... YOU control the pace..dont let dps control HOW you pull WHEN you pull....if they die ...its because they werent healed...and they prolly attacked the wrong target...as a NEW tank there isnt much you can do...even as a holy pally...they expected me to keep agro 24/7 during the whole time even tho i just started tanking...keep at it and just practice keeping multiple agro. and possibly glyph for AOE tanking...ive never ever tanked as a warrior so i wouldnt know but just try to glyph for aoe i guess. and if healers are having problems...its THHEIRS not yours...u acchieved your def cap now its their job to keep you up....all u need to do now is get more stamina and more avoidance...WHICH you will get from gears. keep at it bro...

love and peace TANK/HEALS FTW!

When I see a healer tell a tank he/she is hard to heal, 9 times out of 10 it seems what they are really saying is, 'this tanks harder to heal that that uber geared guy that tanked my last run'. if you are talking about random dungeons, IMHO, a lot of people are getting lazy/spoiled by running with people who way over gear the instance to the point where they've forgotten what it was like to run the dungeons in gear appropriate to their difficulty.

As for DPS, as far as I know, every DPS class has a way to make sure they don't pull aggro. Some of the responsibility has to fall on them. If they are blasting away before they've given you a chance to build some threat, that's their fault.

Your the boss in 5mans not the dps. I regulary get dps shouting at me to "go faster!" this just pisses me off and results in my doing the opposite. I just say if u wanna go faster you fo pull those 5 mobs and we will see how u do! You set the pace and tell em that from the get go. I've got to stage now where I can ask a healer can u keep up if I pull the hole room so it's nice and quick but yeah if I see a dps shooting something further on I let em die once and that kinda sorts em out^^
    Plus this supposidly random tool putting u with similar geared players is baloney IMO I'm at 6k GS now and most of the time rest of group is 3-4 dosent bother me as I've got the threat that I know they won't catch and the health pool so the healer will be fine.
    Just set the pace let know this and if you still got a aggro monkey in group just let die a few times no one likes repair bills so they should get message pretty quick. Your a tank so queue time is seconds not the 10-12 mins that the dps get stuck with.
    Good luck :-)
    So long and thanks for all this fish

Your the boss in 5mans not the dps. I regulary get dps shouting at me to "go faster!" this just pisses me off and results in my doing the opposite. I just say if u wanna go faster you fo pull those 5 mobs and we will see how u do! You set the pace and tell em that from the get go. I've got to stage now where I can ask a healer can u keep up if I pull the hole room so it's nice and quick but yeah if I see a dps shooting something further on I let em die once and that kinda sorts em out^^
    Plus this supposidly random tool putting u with similar geared players is baloney IMO I'm at 6k GS now and most of the time rest of group is 3-4 dosent bother me as I've got the threat that I know they won't catch and the health pool so the healer will be fine.
    Just set the pace let know this and if you still got a aggro monkey in group just let die a few times no one likes repair bills so they should get message pretty quick. Your a tank so queue time is seconds not the 10-12 mins that the dps get stuck with.
    Good luck :-)
    So long and thanks for all this fish

+ Reply to Thread