+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot warrior in need of advice

Prot warrior in need of advice

I just recently joined a great guild, they have designated me as off-tank because they already have two good tanks. Anyways, i look at the warrior tank and can't understand how he's so good in comparison to me.

I only have like 20% parry and dodge (a little over on both but close enough) and my gear is really nice but i gem stam most of the time.... should i start gemming parry and dodge???

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ical+Imbalance

this is my armory page. I also do my talent build a little differently than most, if anyone has comments on the differences between mine (5/14/52) and the supposedly better 14/4/53 build please let me know!

If you notice anything else that would help I'd love to hear your feedback!!!!

Time to spend some gold! Take out all those parry gems and green gems and replace with 30 stam, except the one in your head that should have 10 dodge/15 stam. Glove chant should be armor or stamina, 2% threat and 10 parry is marginally horrible considering the insane threat you're capable of. Those specs are both non-optimal.

Use: http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12521030113321 for max threat
    or
    http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...12521032113301 for max survivability.

Also, weapon enchant should be Mongoose or Blood Draining.

EDIT: Whatever you do, don't follow Crickle's gemming/enchanting/speccing strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

You should really be looking to put stam in every gem slot. Also can we see his armory a comparison is always nice. Your pretty well off at this point really you are just low on armor and stam for 25 i believe most people are looking for 40k hp and 30k armor so praying for a neverending winter off loot ship and climbing out of your last peice of tier 9 shuold be a focus. Dont worry about avoidance Here is why Just gem stam and match socket bonuses in 2 slotters that have 9 stam.

dreador had it right, crickle is the tank i was comparing myself to, his armory is

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...non&cn=Crickle

Also looked at your two suggested talent builds and it seems i have a decent "in-between" on them both, so i am happy with my talents, i just needed to know that crickle's build was not better for what i wanted, what i have seems to fit my play-style better.

on the enchanting, what are those two weapon enchants? i don't have an enchanter so i don't know what they do by seeing an enchant name

Tinytankz tyvm for the great link as to why i don't need to gem avoidance

just looked up the two enchants you said to use, lifeward (what i have currently) heals 300 to 1629 when it procs and it procs pretty often, from what i've read on blood draining you can get up to a 2k heal after you drop below 35%..... not saying your wrong but wouldn't lifeward be better than blood draining????? probably gunna switch to mongoose though so it doesn't really matter, just making a point

I would think there is likely a reason that none of the top tanks in raiding are running lifeward. I would ask for a combat log on WoL if you have one so we can see how much it procs, and how much it procs for... as "pretty often" doesn't mean much.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

If Lifeward just heals you randomly, then it doesn't really matter, especially since it's such a small heal. But a heal when you need it (aka below 35%) is much more valuable, even if it is small (and it's bigger than lifeward).

If you want to look at an armory, check out mine (link is on the picture in my signature). Both you and Crinkle should read both the link already provided and the prot war guide in my signature.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

The problem with your spec is that it's centered around trying to be a better AOE tank. Which you won't be. You need to optimize your spec for boss tanking (because, trash is called trash for a reason, especially in this expansion) to be the best tank you can be. That's what the two specs I linked will do for you. Additionally, you don't need to stack hit or expertise, since your threat relies primarily on your rotation and the specific talents you choose. Parry, while not a bad stat by itself, is bad to gem for because it's got ridiculously higher diminishing returns than dodge, even factoring in Chill of the Throne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread