+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My tank gear upgrade plan

My tank gear upgrade plan

Fairly recently I picked up tanking as a hobby when not raiding on my main. Tanking has grown on me and I started enjoying it. I would like to start tanking 25 man Icc but I feel that I still need a few upgrades to enhance my survivalbility. That brings me to the reason why I started this post in the first place. I am trying to come up with some kind of upgrade plan.

I know that I need to upgrade my weapon. I killed Lord Marrowgar on ten man three times now and so far no luck with the mace.

I can't do much about the weapon, just keep trying. The same goes for one of my rings, just keep trying and something will drop sooner or later. That leaves my trinkets, gloves and helm to upgrade. I want to upgrade Ick's Rotting Thumb with the Corroded Skeleton Key trinket. The other trinket I am unsure about. I want to get the Gauntlets of the Kraken to replace my T9 gloves and finally I want to get the T10 helm for the 2 piece set bonus.

This brings up my questions. In what order should I upgrade these items? Are the proposed items going to give me the best bang for the buck? Or are there better choices that I should be looking at? And finally, will these upgrades be enough to get me into tanking 25 man Icc?

Thank you all for looking and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Linky: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...t&cn=Freiin&gn

Last edited by Freiin; 05-11-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Rings and Trinkets, you'll notice some tanks run with 3 of each. 1 'standard' always in use and the other two are swapped depending on the fight - for example, in a magic fight, Black Heart and Corroded Skeleton Key, in a melee fight Corroded Skeleton Key and Glyph of Idom (1800 armor = awesome). Sort of the same with Rings.

Kraken Guantlets should be the first upgrade probably. Black heart from HToC5 is a good replacement for Ick's and you'll want it anyway unless you get a better stam trinket drop from ICC.

Don't ignore Cataclysmic Chestguard, 1300 more armor.

The head and shoulder upgrades, unless you're in love with the 2pc bonus, should be last in terms of upgrades. Or just grab one of the 2 if your raids require you to have an item before you can roll for the upgrade tokens.

*Just a note*
    The Black Heart actually drops from normal ToC 5man rather than heroic.

Do a little searching and you will find the EH formula. (Hint, Theory and Mechanics "Why We Do What We Do", thx Agg) Use that formula to find out which upgrade gives you the most EH. That should be your next upgrade. I believe starting with the belt and cloak are the most typical first upgrades.

I agree with Loganisis about having trinkets and maybe rings/neck to swap out for certain fights. Unless you are getting tokens for the tier upgrades, the non-tier will be more EH across the board. With upgrade tokens, they are more comparable but non-tier still often wins out over 264 tier.
    Last edited by sifuedition; 05-11-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Formatting (no want centered!)

Thank you both for the help.
    I have read the EHP formula writeup. To be perfectly honest, all the formulas and theory made my head hurt and I probably did not understand half of it. But, and correct me if I am wrong, the gist of the article is that with current fight mechanics, in the long run it is better to mitigate/soak damage versus avoidance. Therefore I should be looking for gear with the most armor and stamina that I can get my hands on.

Right now I put the Gauntlets of the Kraken at the top of my shopping list. My main being a rogue, having situational trinkets and rings is a new concept for me. I will pick up the Corroded Skeleton Key next and hopefully get lucky on some drops for the other trinket. I did look at the Cataclysmic Chestguard before but I put it at the bottom of my must have list because in my mind the upgrades I listed would have more significant impact (I could be totally wrong). Right now I am focused on gearing up for tanking 25 Icc. I plan on getting the Cata Chest but it will be later.

As far as the tier pieces go, you hit the nail on the head. My guild will not hand out upgrade tokens to you unless you are wearing a piece that is upgradeable. I think the tier helm and shoulders, when upgraded to 264 are the closest to their off tier counterparts. So I thought that if I was to go for a tier set bonus the helm and shoulders made the most sense.

If you are able to do 25m ICC, then that changes matters a bit. The 264 tier plus bonus may be more to your liking than the 264 non-tier. The non-tier will still be better EH from a "math" point of view in most slots, but the 4p bonus may be better EH "on demand" and from most accounts, is more up to preference. As a paladin, i am unimpressed with the 4p and would wear the non-tier, but that's me. I was at work earlier and couldn't armory you. With your current gear, I would run normal ToC for The Black Heart until you have 60 frost emblems. If you get the emblems first, get the Corroded Skeleton Key. If you get the Black Heart first, I would get the Kraken Gloves with the emblems. Then work for the CSK next.

Yes, you have the idea of that article right. I am in a similar situation that I am not in a postition to verify the math in that article, lol. I also think you are generally right that you want armor and stamina and you can't gem for stamina. It goes a little deeper than that without having to have a math degree, however. Plug in your stamina and armor after a potential upgrade and find the EH. Do that again for the other upgrade you are considering. Whichever comes out to be more EH, should probably be your next upgrade.

P.S. I am jealous of your Pillars of Might.

Thank you again.

I was actually thinking of a compromise as far as the tier set bonus goes. Initially I want to go for the two piece set bonus and fill the rest of the slots with non-tier gear. In my mind the two piece set bonus could be useful for the trash group pulls where every dps with an aoe attack just goes nuts.

For now I will focus on replacing Ick's Rotting Thumb with either the Black Heart or the Corroded Skeleton Key depending on if I can get the trinket to drop or I save up enough frosties. Whichever may happen first. Then I will work on the gloves. I could get lucky in 25 VoA (Yeah right! ) and get the 264 T10 gloves to drop. More likely I will end up with the Gauntlets of the Kraken as my next upgrade.

I believe once I am finished with the upgrades I stated above I should be ready to off-tank 25 Icc.

P.S. It helps to have a character with more frosties then I know what to do with to buy me mats for the Pillars of Might.

+ Reply to Thread