+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fury Warrior help & advice

Fury Warrior help & advice

So my main spec is Protection but I'm joining a great raiding guild that runs 25 and 10man ICC. I will be probably tanking 10mans and going in as there only dedicated fury warrior in 25mans.

but I don't have a lot of fury or any dps experience i looked at the fury guide here on the site and it confused me a little.

For Rotation:
    Whirlwind
    Bloodthirt
    Instant Slam if proced if not execute if you can
    Wait untill whirlwind is up then hit that
    bloodthirst

and keep going over and over again untill fight is over..
    Is this right?

I'm pulling in the 2k`s in the last heroic I was in(but I don't have full dps gear)

I'm working towards getting my 245 helm for triumph and then going for the full 232 set so Ill be having a good mix of 200`s to 232`s and some 245`s.

I'm basically going to be getting every single piece that I can with emblems and down grading and with some made(226).

What are my enchants that I should be putting on my gear? I have mining and working on maxing Blacksmithing. so nothing special. what factions am i getting rep with and what enchanter enchants will i be putting.

also what Am I gemming? I have no idea.

I will basically be getting my dps gear when I go into raids because a lot of the 25 man team players don't need any of the melee dps gear in 10 mans. So I get the gear that no one needs until my month probation is done.

help me out here thanks!!

EDIT: I'm not linking my armory because I'm in my main spec gear and talents. but here is my current fury build.

http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc...00000000000000

Slam only if BT and WW are not up. BT>Slam when you hit ICC, so you fit insta-Slam in around BT and WW CD. WW > BT. Never wait for BT or WW because of Slam. Or at least very soon. For an example, right now my weps deal 800-1000 damage, so slam hits for ~1100, while BT hits for 2500 (all # unbuffed, with raid buffs BT hits for more as it's AP based). By comparison, right now Execute does ~2200, so BT is always used over Execute, even with 30 rage avaialble (glyphed it would be ~2500, so almost to BT level, but that would be a glyph spot I can't use for something else, so by 5000 AP Execute sorta falls off the map.

(*note* I'm basing damage on Wowhead's descriptors of the abilities, not log files. If they're out of date then the math is wrong).

My rotation is WW --> BT with Slam on proc and HS as rage allows.

Link your WoW-Heroes. It stores both specs (make sure to log out in your DPS gear, then visit wow-heroes so it has a cached copy of your Fury).

You're probably better off going with all triumph 245s rather than 232s where you have the option except shoulders. I think the shoulder 232 triumph items are better than the 245s if you don't need the hit.

I think if you're trying to gear quickly, you'll want something like this for gear (this assumes NO raid drops, just heroics, crafted, Triumph and below emblem gear)
    Head - Triumph 245
    Neck - Conquest 226 (Trading triumphs down)
    Shoulder - Triumph 232
    Back - HOR 232 is best but otherwise FOS 232 or Valor 213 if you need to buy
    Chest - Crafted 245 or Triumph 232 if you can't afford.
    Wrist - Crafted 245 or 232 wrists from POS if you can't afford (though you need it drop, which can be frustrating)
    Hands - Triumph 232
    Belt - Crafted 226 or if you need to buy, Conquest 226
    Legs - Triumph 232
    Feet - Lots of options here, but running HoR until you get the 232 boots would probably be best (or H ToC5 219 or crafted 226 if you have $ and bad luck on drops)
    Rings - Triumph 245s x2 (but if the 232 ring falls in HOR don't go after the Str Triumph 245. THe Agility Triumph 245 ring is better unless you need the hit)
    Trinkets - Banner of Victory (Regular ToC5, farm it) and NES if you can get it to drop from FoS
    Weps - x2 POS 232
    Range - Triumph 245

I don't think its worth going for any set bonus here, your goal is to be out of this gear soon anyway.

Maxdps.com is a dirty word around here but I think their suggestions for Fury enchants are right on the money unless you need a different enchant for something specific (e.g. the boot +hit enchant rather than +AP). And Beserking for your weapons.

HTH

thank you, I've already gotten some of these to drop and some I bought.

WW
    BT
    Slam if BS is proced
    BT
    Repeat

So that is basically my rotation? And Heroic strike when ever over 50 rage but no spamming it.

And What Am I Gemming?

Gemming is much more complicated for Fury than Prot. I've yet to find a definitive guide on gemming Fury.

From what I've gathered, Gem STR (or +Str/+Crit for almost any STR bonus) until you're within ~150 of being soft/hard ArP capped, then Gem ArP till capped, then back to Str or +Str/+Crit

SoftCap is roughly 53% of 1400 or ~742 if you Needle Encrusted Scorpion - other +ArP procs will be different, NES is the most common. So if you're around 500/600 ArP rating, Gem for ArP till you hit ~742 (I don't know the exact number, basically 1400 - NES proc #).

Eventually you'll have gear that will get you to 1200 or so ArP without a proc from NES (passive ArP), at this point you'll want to Gem until you hit 1400 without relying on a proc.

At some point, your gear will give you ArP to the point that you're sitting at 800-1200 ArP, meaning you're over ArP capped when NES procs, some people switch gems out back to Str during this time period until they are close to being hard capped, keeping their "passive" (non-proc'd) ArP at ~750. The idea being you're losing the overcapped ArP stats while if you switch them back to Str you'll always have them.

The guide posted above does a much better job of explaining the Fury rotation, so look at that section (it even has nice pictures :-)

You'll also get to the point that you're almost spamming HS as you rise in gear, so HS is all about the rage management.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivein View Post
    WW
    BT
    Slam if BS is proced
    BT
    Repeat

So that is basically my rotation? And Heroic strike when ever over 50 rage but no spamming it.

And What Am I Gemming?
    Don't forget to replace HS with Cleave in AOE packs. You're spec'd into Improved Cleave and you could have the Glyph of Cleaving to add an additional target.
    Last edited by Gutfang; 05-11-2010 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Quote malfunction.

wow that was the most confusing thing i've ever seen there for gemming lol.

I have the needle encrusted scorpion btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutfang View Post
    Don't forget to replace HS with Cleave in AOE packs. You're spec'd into Improved Cleave and you could have the Glyph of Cleaving to add an additional target.
    Yeah, Cleave on Trash. Forgot that.

I'd argue against using a Glyph on Cleave unless you're a glyph swapper. Cleave is a trash ability and not worth spending a glyph spot on. If that glyph is the difference there are bigger problems. Your glyphs should be for boss fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgivein View Post
    wow that was the most confusing thing i've ever seen there for gemming lol.

I have the needle encrusted scorpion btw.
    I didn't do a very good job of explaining it...

ArP Cap is 1400

So with NES you have 678 ArP on proc, meaning you need another 722 ArP to hit the "Soft" cap (meaning you rely on a proc to hit 1400). Once your gear get to a point that if you gemmed all ArP you can hit 722, you swap your Str gems for ArP gems.

However as you get better gear your 'passive' (non-proc) ArP rating will continue to increase. So say you add another 200 ArP on gear upgrades, your NES is now 'proc-ing' for only 478 ArP because all ArP > 1400 is not used. In this situation players may choose to swap out their ArP gems for Str gems again.

Then as your gear gets to the point that if you go all ArP you hit 1400 without relying on a proc, you've hit the hard cap (passive cap). Any additional gem slots should be filled with Str gems.

The target is 1400 ArP. If, with gemming, you can hit it via a proc or via just having 1400 ArP when standing still, that's your goal to maximize DPS.

If you can't, then you should gem Str (or +Str/+Crit - there's a small debate on if it's best to go +20 Str or +10str/+10crit to hit even a +4 Str bonus).

Hopefully that makes it a little clearer. Certainly more complex than tanking. +30 sta unless it's >= +9 sta socket bonus then +X/+15 sta, trying to pick hybrids needed by your meta.

much better its pretty much like hitting D cap but larger number. I wan VoA 25man with my new guild and started to run ICC 25man. It was late so I could only down marrowgar but I did trade one of the tanks 251 pvp hands that I wasn't really going to use for the 264 dps chest that droped so I'm pretty much going to have that chest for awhile. I still do have tanking gear used in my gear set and with low level 200 and 219`s I've been running some heroics and been getting emblems from raids so Ill be getting rid of my two tanking rings for the 245 dps rings. and then Ill be getting a 5 man group together from my guild to go farm heroics.

I kept switching back and forth from the beginning of the raid up to first boss tanked a few and got to around less then 300k and it was a wipe on the second or third try but I switched to dps and we downed him no problem. I REALLY don't think I'm ready to dps for ICC right now but I do love getting this gear because like I said I'm probably tanking 10man ICC and dpsing 25man. So if we keep going into PQ and more I'll probably be dpsing.

So in 10mans if i'm running with people in my 25man team Ill be getting mostly all tanking gear and dps gear because all dps only need 25man stuff. and Ill be tanking with two of the tanks that are in my 25man. a DK and a Paladin there is a another warrior but we are trying to split us two warriors up.

So basically I'm gearing up going into raids that I shouldn't be lol.

FURY
    So I should be gemming all my gem slots with STR and STR/CRIT.

I logged out in my dps gear so here is my armory.
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Unforgivein

This might be easier for gemming:

1400 is the ArP cap.

A) Softcap. If your passive ArP (gear) + procs from items like NES = 1400 - 20 * X (where X is the number of gem slots you have you don't need to activate your Meta) then you gem for ArP.

B) Hardcap. If your passive ArP (gear) = 1400 - 20 * X (where X is the number of gem slots you have you don't need to activate your Meta) then you gem for ArP.

I'm not sure you can hit the ArP from gear to make gemming ArP worthwhile. I see Khilbron reading the thread, he'll probably explain it much better.

Run, run, run randoms to upgrade your slots you can use emblems for.

alright, I am hard headed so something that I've never dealt with will take some explaining for me to do.

Can anyone explain it a little easier? would really appreciate it.

go to your character sheet
    highlight over your hit , it says how much % arp you have
    if you have around 15 gem slots, that means you could technically get around 20-21% from just purely gemming arp gems from str.

so the first thing you ask yourself

1) do you have an NES? a Grim Toll, or a Mjolnir's runestone?

a) if yes, check your current ArP, if it's 35% you can regem to 55% and have any of the above trinkets above, "proc" you to 100% the rest of your gems can be str

b) if no, check your current ArP, if it's > 65% from gear alone, you can regem to over 85% and if you have any static ArP trinkets (banner of victory, Deathbringer's Will), this would be a good time to make best use of them, and try to get yourself as close to 100% as possible, the closer the greater the gains from ArP

c) if no, and your arp < 65% from gear, just stick to str gemming until you fulfill one of a) or b)

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

are you talking about the % of what your ArP is or the % of how much it reduces the enemies armor?

Armor Penetration rating 437 and enemy armor reduced by up to 31.22%
    Last edited by Unforgivein; 05-12-2010 at 11:49 AM.

The raw rating may be easier to calculate. The hard cap is 1400. This is the number you're striving to reach.

With your avaialble gear you can't reach 1400 passively (without a proc) so you'll be gunning for the soft-cap.

1400 - 678 (NES proc) leaves you 722.

Count up all your gem slots, remove the gem slots you need to activate your meta, multiple that number by 20. So if you have 15 gem slots, need 2 non-reds to activate the meta, you have 13 available * 20 = 260.

Subtract 260 from 722, reaching 462. 462 is the amount of ArP you need on your gear in order to hit 1400 with the assist of NES procs. If you choose to eat the ArP food, you'd need 422 on your gear.

I'd also suggest reading Khilborn's comment here http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ady-to-gem-ARP

I understand the process but as a Fury Off-spec and several extended absenses from WoW since ICC dropped, I don't have the passive ArP to have actually made the switch yet.

I was personally referring to the % of armor reduced... but yes as Logan has pointed out you can use the rating as well.

I have 9 gem slots because I need two blue gems for my socket to work but that is covered by my tanking gear that I haven't replaced with dps gear yet so that has two +30 stams in it lol.

So that is 9 x 20 and that is 180 and then you subtract 180 from 722 and thats 542.

So I need to get 542 ArP to hit soft cap by gemming correct?

Also heres another question..

Sense I'm kinda in an awkward position with still trying to get my gems/gear going right and raiding ICC 25man with not full dps gear/gems its just a simple question with all the new gear ill be getting and the 264 chest I go what Am I gemming? str or ArP? and do I use nightmare tears for the blue sockets for my meta gem?
    Last edited by Unforgivein; 05-12-2010 at 12:22 PM.

you need 542 arp from gear alone, assuming you swap out the gems, and have NES. depends on the meta you use, you can only use 1 nightmare tear, so if you use the agi one, then yes, that's all you need, if you are using the crit one, then you can use 1 nightmare tear and 1 10str or arp/15 stam

going forward like we said, it depends on what your new gear does in terms of your arp levels and other stats. it's not just a clear cut, "do this" answer, you constantly need to re-evaluate your gear changes.

+ Reply to Thread