+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boomkin DPS - Looking to push for more dps

Boomkin DPS - Looking to push for more dps

Currently on LK 25man Attempts i'm doing 8-9k dps and for most of ICC i'm about that range. I've been trying hard to push the 10k dps mark but just can't seem too.

My rotation is: IS, Wrath till eclipse proc, MF, Starfire till eclipse proc, IS, Wrath till proc, MF, Starfire till proc. Basically fit in Starfall whenever I can. (Also FF bosses at the start)

Was wondering if anything I could change in my spec, gemming or gear that I could change that would improve my DPS as i'm struggling a little to keep up with the rest of the guild.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...cn=Purepackage
    PS: I know my hit is a little low but with raid buffs and that i'm fine.

Your gemming seems fine though you are sub hit capped currently. I can't actually see your spec currently because the armory is down and can only view your cached data on wow-heroes so I can't see spec and glyphing selections currently.

There is a minor issue with your rotation however, you should be renewing your DoTs during post-eclipse or no eclipse. Post-eclipse is the last global cooldown of an eclipse where there is no longer sufficient time to cast the buffed spell (the buff only benefits you if you complete the cast while it is up). This is the ideal time to renew DoTs. You shouldn't renew your DoTs at the start of an eclipse because you effectively reduce the number of buffed spell casts you can complete. Say for instance you Starfire had a cast time of 2 seconds (and GCD was at 1 second). During 15 seconds, you could cast 7 Starfires. However, because you can't tell when to start casting until you see the buff, you will spend at least one GCD casting one more Wrath, this lowers the time buffed to about 14 seconds, still enough time for 7 casts. However, if you cast an instant cast then, you consume yet 1 more second of the buff duration. Now you only have 13 seconds of buff duration left, and that's only time for 6 Starfires. By casting that extra instant cast, you effectively reduced the number of buffed casts you can complete during the duration. The same rules apply to Wrath Eclipse as well.

Now lets say your Starfire cast time is 1.99 seconds, you proc eclipse and have 14 seconds left after your next Wrath. That gives you time to cast Starfire 7 times. If you cast Moonfire at the start, you would only have time for 6 Starfires. Now here is where the "post-eclipse" phase comes into play. Instead of casting Moonfire at the start of your eclipse, you only spam the buffed spell. You get your 7 casts in, but have 0.07 seconds of eclipse left over, since that little bit at the end of the eclipse is no longer enough to cast another Starfire, it is the ideal time to cast one of your instant casts instead of casting another Starfire and risking going directly into your next eclipse. Ok this example is a bit oversimplified but hopefully you can see the point. By renewing your DoTs, or using other instant casts, at the end of eclipse instead of at the start, you actually have more casts that are benefited by the buff. So in this case if you had 0.07 seconds left on a Starfire eclipse, you're likely to cast Moonfire if it is down (because you will cast at least 2 Starfires to proc Wrath eclipse, at least one to proc it and one extra because you didn't know it proced on the cast until you already began your next) and also Insect Swarm if it is down since you will be going into a Wrath eclipse. Moonfire you will generally renew after any eclipse if it is down because you are either going into a Starfire eclipse or will cast a few Starfires to get into Wrath eclipse. Insect Swarm is devalued since the Starfall buff, so Insect Swarm you would only renew going into a Wrath eclipse or during forced movement.

You are over the Starfire soft crit cap, so renewing it at the start of your eclipse is counter productive, you only gain the benefit of more damage on that Moonfire, where as if you cast another starfire you would have another big hit that is guarenteed to crit (that Moonfire gains less damage than a guarenteed crit of Starfire, and also if you cast Moonfire at the correct time, you'd still have it being fully extended the majority of time anyway). Moonfire benefits from Starfire, but the opposite isn't always true. During eclipse, if you can avoid casting other spells you should, only cast the buffed spell.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 05-10-2010 at 12:32 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Moved to HALP!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Now that the armory is working had an opportunity to check your spec. Your spec is fine however you need to change your glyph selection. Insect Swarm is no longer a high priority, Glyph of Starfall is the best glyph now that the 3.3.3 Starfall buff is live. You should replace Insect Swarm with Starfall because it is a much larger DPS gain, provided you use your cooldowns frequently. Also you should get your hit rating capped again, replace two of your Potent Ametrines with Veiled Ametrines (assuming you are going for the with Heroic Presence cap of 237). Fixing your hit rating and glyph selection will help a little, though I suspect my prior message will help more as the problem appears to be rotational, renewing your DoTs at the wrong time.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

+ Reply to Thread