+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not happy with my TPS and Playstyle

Not happy with my TPS and Playstyle

Alright so tonight I was raiding and I was not performing at my normal level as a tank.

My TPS on bosses were horrendous and I was often below the MT, #5 on threat easily and it would take a lot of effort for me to get up to #2 in threat. On Rotface for example the #2 person in threat was hunter and he was about 100k threat below me, I find this as an issue since the tanks in the guild I'm in easily pull 10x more threat than me (all DKs btw).

I'm thinking the issue I'm having might be a playstyle issue, perhaps I need something to help notify me when something is up etc (Power Aura string would be awesome!), or maybe I need to get the expertise food buff.

My rotation for tanking is:
    Single/Boss:
    SS -> Rev (if up) -> Dev -> HS if rage permits -> TC -> Demo Shout -> Conc Blow, Heroic Throw, SW (when available)

AoE:
    Charge (if possible) -> TC -> Shockwave -> Cleave -> SS -> Dev (tab targetting of course).

I'm not sure if my rotations are correct but I will take a look at a few of the guides here for review.

your a warrior u wont pull much tps at all if your not the MT or the tank taking dmg, if ur not taking main dmg it doesn't matter what tps your pulling ... warrior tanks just cannot pull threat unless u have rage which if your prot basicly means you have to be getting face smashed by a boss.

easiest way to tank as warrior is spam the shit out of devastate the whole fight and only hit your other abilities as they come off cool down (binding ur HS to devastate while doing this will get u tons of threat)

If you spam skills (eg heroic strike) as an OT on something like Icehowl or the like, you will be rage starved very fast.

Basically all you can do, like the previous poster said, is be frugal with your skills.

Start building rage with auto attacks. Your go-to skill will likely be devastate, if it's off CD and you have nothing better available, use that. Use SS if you get S&B, or if you have high rage, be wary about using if you have low rage. Don't spam TC as much as you might normally, use it to get the debuff up and that's about all. Revenge is cheap and strong, use it when available. Heroic strike only if you are rage bloated.

You can also do other things to help like throwing down a shattering throw occasionally.

Alright, so I guess I was doing something wrong then since I seem to rage starve myself when I'm not supposed to, I will try the auto-attack with Dev and S&B procs thanks for the suggestions guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitochi View Post
    Alright so tonight I was raiding and I was not performing at my normal level as a tank.

My rotation for tanking is:
    Single/Boss:
    SS -> Rev (if up) -> Dev -> HS if rage permits -> TC -> Demo Shout -> Conc Blow, Heroic Throw, SW (when available)
    I don't use Conc Blow, Heroic Throw, or SW at all on a single target. I'm still working on getting a clean rotation, but for a single target, Dev/SS/Rev/HS are all you need.

As OT unless there's AoE damage, you always will be low on threat until it's your turn to taunt (which takes you to #1) and you get hit generating more rage. You simply won't have the rage to use your rotation.

What's your Exp/Hit? I found in ToGC and ICC that even when I was low on Exp and Hit (~16 Exp, 140 hit) threat wasn't an issue - it was the taunt misses that were problematic.

Maybe if you link your armory too?

Getting the Bone Scepter (I think that's it) off of Marrowgar was a huge boost to TPS as well.

Below poster is right , on singles go with Dev/SS/Rev/HS ( i actually have a DEV/HS macro ), and wait for SS and Revenge to be off cooldown to use at will.

For AoE, i normally throw my mace, thunderclap, shockwave cleave, then break my pinkie TAB'ing thru targets ( throwning auto attacks and cleaves in ) .....

That said, if you're finding that some TAUNTS are ineffective, glyph for it. I've never felt good dropping EXP below 23 and HIT below 160, but other say it's fine.

And don't forget VIG up on the other tank ( every hit give you some threat and resets taunt )

After browsing to your armory i can say that you should probably swap glyph of taunting to glyph of devastate the added threat from the extra sunder is noticable. Also hello zaitochi your on my realm

Actually the taunt glyph I have on for LK attempts since missing a taunt is very bad even though I am way over hit cap for melee but I'd still keep it. The one glyph I may swap out for Devastate is Blocking, something about hitting the Devastate button 5 times isn't as efficient as hitting it 3 times per target.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitochi View Post
    Actually the taunt glyph I have on for LK attempts since missing a taunt is very bad even though I am way over hit cap for melee but I'd still keep it. The one glyph I may swap out for Devastate is Blocking, something about hitting the Devastate button 5 times isn't as efficient as hitting it 3 times per target.
    Do you really need it on trash? 5 times on a boss is easy enough to do and on trash, I'm not sure you need it.

+ Reply to Thread