+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ICC Festergut encounter - Prot warrior tanking, help!

Quote Originally Posted by Bodasafa View Post
    Festergut 3rd Inhale is what kills tanks.

Tank Rotation and CD's:
    During the 3rd Inhale the current tank must chain cool downs (personal or external) for the entire duration, or they will die. The damage is just to great.
    Not true.
    I never once touched my CDs during the Festergut fight, and I tanked him through the 2nd and 3rd inhales.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    Not true.
    I never once touched my CDs during the Festergut fight, and I tanked him through the 2nd and 3rd inhales.
    Right, I've done it too. But if he's wiping the raid due to getting shit on in the 2nd and 3rd, he needs it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Big question is how is the dps in his raid.
    From my understand Festergut is more of a gearcheck than Saurfang is.

I know with the two groups my guild runs. We have the weaker tank start off, and the better geared tank have him on the 2nd and 3rd inhales.

Big question is how is the dps in his raid.
    From my understand Festergut is more of a gearcheck than Saurfang is.

I know with the two groups my guild runs. We have the weaker tank start off, and the better geared tank have him on the 2nd and 3rd inhales.
    If the tank dies, it's not a dps problem. True, there can be a DPS problem as well, but that'll cause a spectacular enrage, causing everyone else to die before the tank.
    Festergut is (or used to be) a check for many aspects of the raid - you need good dps, aware healers that can role-change and some decent awareness. He hits hard enough to threaten a tank when he has three inhales, but the 15% buff does a lot to alleviate that. Still, it's highly advisable to have cooldowns running during that time, the damage is quite high in 25mans.
    One of the things people forget is that, when properly executed, tank damage on festergut is highest during the two-inhale phases. That's why I usually tank him first in our raids - I have the best gear, so I can handle the high damage periods best. The initial swap is a minor problem, though - it happens at the end of the first 2stack phase, so the other tank will take some hefty hits before he starts chaining cooldowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Not true.
    Just because us tanks in 25 man gear with a 15% buff can chez the encounter does not mean that was they way it was intended to be done. I can do it too, your not special.

Plus these guys are working on a first kill. So what I suggested is true for people still learning how to do it right, especially if they are a 10 man crew that only has access to 10 man drops.

When I hear people are struggling on this fight and they don't say its the enrage (clearly indicating a lack of DPS issue) its 99% of the time a CD or healing issue.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Just because us tanks in 25 man gear with a 15% buff can chez the encounter does not mean that was they way it was intended to be done. I can do it too, your not special.

Plus these guys are working on a first kill. So what I suggested is true for people still learning how to do it right, especially if they are a 10 man crew that only has access to 10 man drops.

When I hear people are struggling on this fight and they don't say its the enrage (clearly indicating a lack of DPS issue) its 99% of the time a CD or healing issue.
    You forgot to advise another change that works for a lot of groups too though. Changing the order of the tanks.
    Yes I am at about 6k gs with my tank set, but my OT was about 5k gs. I don't use gs so just using estimates.
    We wiped twice with me Tanking Festergut first, because he kept going down like nothing during the 2nd Inhale.
    We swapped to the OT Tanking Festergut first, and myself tanking him for the 2nd Inhale and through the 3rd one, and we nailed it.

You forgot to advise another change that works for a lot of groups too though. Changing the order of the tanks.
    Yes I am at about 6k gs with my tank set, but my OT was about 5k gs. I don't use gs so just using estimates.
    We wiped twice with me Tanking Festergut first, because he kept going down like nothing during the 2nd Inhale.
    We swapped to the OT Tanking Festergut first, and myself tanking him for the 2nd Inhale and through the 3rd one, and we nailed it.
    Well gosh that sort of made all the sense in the world, didn't it? Why wouldn't you start out with the worse-geared tank from the get-go?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

While I agree with what you're saying for the most part, I think you're exaggerating a bit here. You don't have to be decked out in ilvl 264 loot with a 15% health buff to survive it without popping cooldowns. I've not had (please note the emphasis placed on the word 'had'. I still pop my cooldowns (usually) just because it's the right way to play) to pop cooldowns for this in quite a long time, which was long before I got into a 25 man group so I only had access to 10 man loot, was only in a handful 251 pieces, and well before any of the % buffs. Half decent healers can work wonders.

Yeah I figured that would be a given beyond how to use CDs or dictate healers. Grats on the kill though!
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Thanks everyone! I had my OT change his armor, glyphs and gems and had him use his CDs and an indestructable potion. Also switched tanking order - our communication has always been good so that wasn't a problem, nailed it second try with him tanking first, with my 6k gear I had no problems at all dealing with the two inhales which made the whole thing go very smoothly... Don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks again all, after that we were able to go 9/12 pretty easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Souls Wings View Post
    Thanks everyone! I had my OT change his armor, glyphs and gems and had him use his CDs and an indestructable potion. Also switched tanking order - our communication has always been good so that wasn't a problem, nailed it second try with him tanking first, with my 6k gear I had no problems at all dealing with the two inhales which made the whole thing go very smoothly... Don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks again all, after that we were able to go 9/12 pretty easy!
    Congratz!!!

Okay, lets see here.

Spec is fine, do
    this. Change Glyph of Devastate to Glyph of Last Stand if you find yourself struggling to find options for bloats.

• Helm - change the Hit / Stamina gem to +30 Stamina, and meet your META requirements elsewhere.

Cloak - change the Enchant to +225 Armor, it provides a lot more mitigation than +22 Agility, and you don't need the tiny bit of Crit or Dodge from +22 Agility.

Chest - change the Expertise gem to a +30 Stamina gem, you're above the Expertise Dodge cap (6.5% or 26), so you're wasting a gem slot by using the +20 Expertise gem here - you don't -need- Expertise in any of the current boss fights, and if you ever do, get it from gear, not gems.

Bracers - change the Expertise gem to +30 Stamina, see point above this point for reasoning.

Gloves - change the enchant to +240 Armor, you shouldn't -need- the threat from Armsman, and the Parry is horrible in any situation anyway. If you do need the threat, keep Armsman, but as soon as you don't, get the enchant I recommended, it's made by 375+ Leatherworkers.

Belt - change the Expertise / Stamina gem to Dodge / Stamina, it's called Regal Dreadstone - the reason for this is cause it's more valuable than your current gem, cause you're already over the 6.5% cap and because even under the effects of Chill of the Throne, Dodge is still a Warriors' best form of avoidance.

Legs - change the Hit / Stamina and Expertise / Stamina gems both to +30 Stamina, you don't need the Hit or the Expertise for reasons listed above.

Boots - change the Enchant to Tuskar's Vitality, you gain a lot of mobility which will help a lot in the long run, see for yourself, if and when you decide to change to the enchant.

Shield - change this Enchant to +18 Stamina, Shield Block Value is our least-most needed stat, as Armor provides more of a mitigation boost, and more than 1 Misdirect & Tricks of the Trade from each of the Rogues' and Hunters' in the raid shouldn't be required, so the threat-aspect of SBV becomes inferior.
    He is dying because he has a very low level of Armor. Armor is king for Warrior tanks, and as far as I know, it's very close to #1 for every other tank too. Personally, I raid with 45k Armor raid buffed, and I never drop below ~ 45% health during Festergut, even on hardmode.

I'd suggest your OT get Glyph of Indomitability to replace his crappy Onyixa's Head quest item Trinket, it's amazing considering where it's from. Tell him not to bother going for the Putricide Armor trinket, as it's uptime is horrible, and makes the trinket rather iffy for fights where his health will be fluctuating, and because he's not overly geared, I dare say that'd be the majority of fights at this stage.

That's really it. Let me know via. these forums if you or him need anymore help regarding the matter - the reason why I say you or him is cause I'm not sure if you're posting on his behalf or if you're asking for yourself.

Let me know how you go.
    Last edited by dgen; 05-25-2010 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dgen View Post

Let me know how you go.
    He has already posted they managed to clear Festergut with advice from previous posters.

My thoughts on this (I play a prot warrior myself):

We use a pally MT and myself as OT on this fight. Pally takes it to 8 stacks and then I taunt off him to take the next 9. After me taunting off the pally Fester will quite quickly do his 3rd inhale and start doing massive damage. The moment he's inhaled I pop Shield Wall and once that has run out we have a priest put Pain Suppression on me.

These 2 CDs combined are more than enough (for my war) to survive the 3rd inhale without dropping dangerously low on HP.

Cheers,
    Bel*.

Okay - I'm having sort of the opposite problem here. I'm MT, best geared in an alliance 25 man ICC raid. We have our DK OT take him to 8 stacks, when I taunt him at that point (mostly for the wiggle room).

The problem is I die before ever hitting the 3rd inhale. If I can make it to the third, I'm fine, but it's getting to it that's the problem.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...r&cn=Loganisis

33,750 armor + 750 GotW + 1205 Dev Auora + 3500 Indestruct Pot (gulpped right before taunting) puts me at 39,200 armor given (+2400 if ICC tank ring procs)
    44,266 unbuffed HP - buffed was sitting at 66,000 with a little change (stoneblood, command shout included).

Announced in vent a 3 second taunt switch countdown (3... 2... 1... taunting)

Usually for phase 3 it's Last Stand + Enraged Regen with 1 sec left on 3rd inhale, SW with 1 or 2 seconds left on Last Stand, and Shield Block with 1 or 2 seconds left.

Usually I'll pop glyph as a throw away helper (not really expecting it to help but glad if it does) if I notice things getting a little crazy. And always try to keep TC and Demo shout up.

Any suggestions (besides the the Draedor comment on the +30 sta instead of enduring zul to hit the +12)

As swappable gear, I have Black Heart and Abom's Blood Ring (10N version) but I think I'm still in the range where the armor from Glyph and Clutch of Fort outweigh the stamina increases.

Gearwise, I'm pretty sure I'm well over the top, with everything in the right place (though I'd never turn down better drops XD) and I'm using the best combination of items ahead of time (well, not true, I chow down on the fish feasts, I guess I should bring lots of blackened dragonfin).

Is there anything I'm missing? I hate to start pointing fingers if I'm missing something.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

@ Log

Sounds like a healer fail. A tank should not have to use his CDs until the 3rd inhale (and even some don't need it according to above replies). Looking at your armory I would say your gear is good for it. Tell your healers to get on the ball, they need more focus on the current tank as the inhales go up and less on the raid. See my post about heals at the bottom of page 1.

That what I was thinking - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I brought it up. Not good to make your healers mad when it's actually something you can control.

I think that's what I hate about Festergut, is since you need all your CDs for 3rd inhale (it's no longer progression) you feel so naked outside of the third inhale phase.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

first night i oted this fight (pally tank) i got smashed and wiped. it is all about cds on the inhale cause when u switch is when he does his big dmg ability. both the tanks that posted there armory have over 5k more life then when i did this. It just has to be using ur cds cause heals has to spam u anyway.

Well you should be fine with only using your LS and SW back to back for the third inhale. So that still leaves Shield Block, 4PC (if you have it), trinkets, health stone/pot, and external CD's you can call for.

+ Reply to Thread