+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage Single Target DPS is low, compared to Blizzard

Mage Single Target DPS is low, compared to Blizzard

My current project is an Arc/Frost mage.

In heroics I have been using the rotation suggested by EJ (Arcane Blast x3 - Missile Barrage unless it hasn't proc'd in which case Arcane Barrage) on bosses and Blizzard on trash pulls. Nowhere in the EJ write up did I see a suggestion for using Blizzard on trash, only details on rotation.

Now, when dpsing boss fights I run about 1800 dps or so (I know, it's a project toon, gear is still horribad ~4100 GS) and slightly lower on trash pulls. Yet when I use Blizzard my trash deeps runs 2300 or so.

Now I am not sure if it's a speck issue:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-t...eslich&group=2

Or if I am making some noob rotation mistake here, or if Blizzard on trash is the right thing to do. Either way, I do not have the experience with this toon's class to do do some educated troubleshooting, so I thought I would ask some people who do Any advice is appreciated.

AoE always does insane damage compared to single-target. As a resto shaman, my fire elemental can do like 3k on Precious' zombies. While I sit there and twiddle my thumbs. I can do maybe 1-2k single target DPS (as a resto shaman, mind you) but put out some aoe and it's way easier to do way more damage. However, as an arcane mage it may be better to do arcane explosion. Ask a real mage before taking me on my word though. Some trash has it's own AoE (including the guys before the first boss in ICC) so AE requiring you to get upclose and personal can be an issue for your squishy self.

On three or more targets you Blizzard. On one or two you single target it.

Heh, I always though it was best to AB till you have 4 stacks and the proc then AM, keep doing that while burning your Evo, Gems and pots and only resort to 3xAB when your out of mana and no way to get some.

Your also missing out on 25% dmg from AM, 3% extra dmg per stack of AB and alot of crit(molten armour) just from using glyphs. Get those and you should see an improvement.

Gearwise.. just focus on getting badge gear and when you can enter the ICC 5 mans grab whatever you can there, properly gemming and enchanting will help a great deal. Red sockets 23SP, Blue sockets 12SP/Spirit, Yellow 12SP/Haste I think is the right way to gem, as long as the socket bonus is worth it.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#of0Vcu...tedcZMGc0o:Nzi is the cookie cutter arcane spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyp View Post
    Heh, I always though it was best to AB till you have 4 stacks and the proc then AM, keep doing that while burning your Evo, Gems and pots and only resort to 3xAB when your out of mana and no way to get some.
    Doing AM3 instead of AM4 is better once you have 2pc t10. It will allow you to keep the +12% damage buff for pretty much the entire fight.

Very helpful posts, thank you guys

+ Reply to Thread