+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stat breakdown

Stat breakdown

Ok so this is very needy and embarrasing to ask but for ICC I need to know how much Dodge, parry, Block and Def rating I need on my warrior, I'm building a quick gear list to get in asap so need to know some numbers I want to be hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardYorke View Post
    Ok so this is very needy and embarrasing to ask but for ICC I need to know how much Dodge, parry, Block and Def rating I need on my warrior, I'm building a quick gear list to get in asap so need to know some numbers I want to be hitting.
    Minimum 540 defense. After that focus on HP and armor. I'd say about 27k armor and 38k hp should be easy enough to hit with triumph badges.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Thanks mate

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Minimum 540 defense. After that focus on HP and armor. I'd say about 27k armor and 38k hp should be easy enough to hit with triumph badges.
    Thats the truth, mitigation is great when you get it but 99% of the time you want stam and armor, which i find kind of sad roflstam gearing strat pathetically moronic.

Anyways for when you have choices in mitigation dodge>parry>block for the most part, a great example of gearing choice for the most part is that the top trinket choices for a lot of tanks are Corroded Skeleton Key and unidentifiable organ providing armor and stam. Hope that helps!
    Winter is coming

Gearing as a tank has a lot of philosofy and thinking in it, but it's not all that hard.
    Here are the rules that I stick to.

The one rule that has no exceptions: Stay crit immune. (540 Defense, a little less if you have some resilience.)

General rules:
    Try hit two caps - soft expertise and taunt hit.
    Higher item levels are better.

Exceptions:
    Pieces with bonus armor are extremely good - so good that they can survive through a next tier of content in many cases.
    Trinkets are the easiest way to change your stats, so carry around several with you. Sometimes armor is better, sometimes stamina is. When you overgear content a lot, using avoidance trinkets is fun, and defense trinkets can allow you to do funny stuff.

The two rules aren't set in stone, expertise is a really nice stat to have, but in the end it's mostly a threat stat. Hit can be gained from food if you absolutely need them, and the taunt hit cap is rather easy to get to.

Follow these rules for the time being, and once you feel up to it, go and read some of the stickied threads here on tankspot - they'll tell you why you would want specific stats; you can make your own choices then.

Note: Avoidance should be completely ignored in tank gearing unless you get ridiculous amounts of it. Stamina and armor are just that much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaranthine View Post
    Thats the truth, mitigation is great when you get it but 99% of the time you want stam and armor, which i find kind of sad roflstam gearing strat pathetically moronic.

Anyways for when you have choices in mitigation dodge>parry>block for the most part, a great example of gearing choice for the most part is that the top trinket choices for a lot of tanks are Corroded Skeleton Key and unidentifiable organ providing armor and stam. Hope that helps!
    Not to be "That guy" but mitigation is reducing incoming damage, i.e. armor and block. Avoidance is avoiding incoming damage completely, i.e. dodge, parry, and chance to be missed. Also, gear for the encounter, especially with trinkets. Saurfang is 100% physical damage, and since the less damage you take, the less damage is transferred to the marked persons, you want more armor, so you use two armor trinkets, and any bonus armor gear you have. If you are tanking Keleseth on the Blood Prince Council, the majority of damage comes from shadowbolts, which aren't reduced by armor, so you would rock two stam trinkets. Same thing for OTing BQL, its all shadow damage, so no point in bonus armor. Research the fights and adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaak View Post
    Saurfang is 100% physical damage, and since the less damage you take, the less damage is transferred to the marked persons
    I'm pretty sure looking through logs how hard you get hit bares no correlation to the damage to the marked people. Maybe it's different in heroic, but I couldn't find any correlation and the damage seems to be it's own thing and bares no resemblance to how hard the tank gets it. If you can back this up with some logs I will gladly rescind but I'm pretty sure that part is inaccurate. Everything else you've said though is pretty much right on the money.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Apart from the bit about the "transferred" damage, he's spot on. Especially in heroic, you want to take as little damage as possible, it's an extremely healing intensive fight. Of course, you want as big a health pool as possible for exactly that same reason.
    The damage from the marks on Saurfang is, last I checked, not dependant on his melee swings. The damage happens every time he swings, but it's done regardless of him hitting, and there's no damage link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

+ Reply to Thread