+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DPSing in tank or low level gear :confused:

DPSing in tank or low level gear :confused:

I'm a bear.... rawr...

On our last ICC raid I was asked to DPS .. since we had too many tanks, so off I trundled into ICC with 44k HP. Now that is quite a lot condering most of my DPS pieces are my tanking pieces.

Now I've aquired a few upgrades (mainly 232 to 264) which are Gem/Enchanted for Tanking, as thats my main, but what im looking for is information on is whether it would be better to use those tanking pieces for DPS, or to re-gem/enchant my lower ilvl pieces to DPS. The most obvious one would be the head for the meta gem but I can't quite figure out the other pieces.

Is there a program/spreadsheet that will allow you to put all your items in like a bank and then you can swap them over quickly to see which way would be the best to go with. I've downloaded Rawr but my work computer wont let me download .net framework software.

Anyone experienced with Rawr know if its possible to do what I want?

You will definitely want a separate set of gear for dps. In fact, it would be a huge difference to have a different SPEC for dps. If you like feral dps, you can dps in cat with a bear spec but it will not pull nearly the same dps.

For your dps gear, using your second best tanking pieces may work. There are some differences, however. Armor Pen is one of the big ones. You usually ignore this stat in bear. If it's there, no big deal, but you don't look for it. As a cat, you want as much as you can get. Try to get at least 400 ArP on gear alone. At this point, if you fully gem for ArP, you will probably come out with near 700 ArP. With a trinket that procs ArP, this will get you near the cap. The initial goal is to get over 1200 ArP with the proc and eventually to the cap at 1400. The REAL final goal if you will be dps'ing much, is to try to hard cap ArP at 1400 without the trinket proc. Once you can reach 1200 without the proc is a decent time to switch the trinket to a more crit/AP type trinket without a dps loss.

The ArP "break-points" here are obviously somewhat generic but are generally true. The cap is 1400 and the 1200 is dependant on gear and/or skill as to where the actual "dps loss" would occur.

Under 400 ArP from gear alone, gem all agility with the obvious exception of meta requirements and really good socket bonuses. After 720-800 ArP (1400 with trinket proc) any extra sockets should be agil.

As you can see, this will often require different gear than bear gear in many slots and you will definitely want dps specific neck, rings, trinkets.

Also, yes, rawr is capable of doing something like you mention. It is called the optimizer. You will need to select the green diamond on each piece you want to compare for every slot. Then run the optimizer. The outcome is LARGELY dependant on your settings and can give bad advice if they are not right. Unfortunately, I am not experienced enough with rawr to tell you what the "right" settings are.
    Last edited by sifuedition; 05-07-2010 at 08:44 AM.

I have a different spec for kitty and I completely forgot about the awesomeness that is ArP.

What I was looking for was a way to compare 2 different items, gemmed and enchanted with the different specs, to see which would be best for DPS.

example.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=51144 , 30 stamina, 18 stamina enchant (tanking piece)

vs.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=48213 , 20 Agi/Arp, attack power enchant. (old tanking piece that I could use for cat)

Its the same for my chest, sack of wonder vs. 232 badge chest, Footpads(264) vs. ... vs.. gah forgotten what my old boots were ;-), belt is the 251 from Lady D vs. 219 badge belt, 251 badge shoulders vs. 232 badge shoulders.

Just need to figure if using my tanking pieces as they are will give bigger dps than correctly using my older pieces, bearing in mind I have t10 2 piece and t9 2 and 4 piece to play with and I don't want to use Frost badges for my kitty gear until I have finished my tanking stuff.

Im still pulling avg. of 6k DPS which isnt too shabby given, I know my rotations (feralbynight helped me learn that) and bring proper DPS consumables.

Just so you know, I'm one one those min/max people so I want to be as effective as I can, with what I got, or can easily get.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...doun&cn=Lillea - Armoury, luckily I logged with my dps set on so you can see what I'm currently rolling with. My cat spec is PVP orientated but im only really missing out on 4% crit and 10 expertise (over it anyway with the talents)
    Last edited by Kyp; 05-07-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Just as a point of reference, my feral with a PvE dps build is an alt. As such, his frost income is low. With the frost belt and the 245 emblem helm/shoulders the only thing over 232, I pull over 6k on stationary fights and over 5k even in most movement fights.

Sometimes, lower level gear is better so I see where you are coming from. For instance, I use the 226 emblem neck even though I have the 232 neck you have equiped because of the armor pen being more valuable to me. And other times, the sheer amount of stats overcomes the better itemization as in the leather 264 emblem belt for fury warriors over the plate one.

For what I think you are wanting, chardev.org or rawr will be best. Chardev will let you build the gear and see the character stats. Rawr obviously tries to model the actual dps/healing/etc. Rawr will take more work to get right and might leave you still wondering due to the differences that can be made just in the settings. Wish I could help more with rawr and hopefully someone here can. If not, I hope chardev is what you were looking for or at least good enough.

As long as the ilvl difference is not huge, you'd probably be better using your old tanking pieces for DPS. It might be worth using 2pc T10 no matter how it's gemmed. I use my old DPS gear as my tank set mostly. A helm with a DPS meta would benefit you too. There isnt really a hard and fast answer here, compare the stats of the items on a slot my slot basis, factor in regeeming the old pieces for DPS and the answer should be clear.

Good information. I was thinking about doing the same thing. I already have an off-spec and this would be more or less third on the priority list (and mostly just for kicks and giggles). Be interesting to see how this plays out in actual game play.

You should be able to run two different setups on Rawr, even going so far as to open two windows for instant comparison. You can save setups on Rawr, and you can fiddle with gems and stuff no problem. I see no reason why you cannot.

Also, Rawr3 runs of silverlight or something, and it runs right out of the browser. So you might have a little more luck messing with that.

Wish rawr worked on Macs

+ Reply to Thread