+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am I ready for raid tanking?

Am I ready for raid tanking?

Hi all, Just got back to WoW recently, lvl to 80 and been doing PUG 5man heroics. I am wondering if my gear is ready to move onto ToC or ICC 10man, Thanks!
    (oh, and pls take a look at my spec to see if focused rage necessary?)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...er&cn=Snowwolf

Toronto, Ontario. (I understand I play an EU server.)
    TOC 10/25 Normal = Yes. ICC Wait till you get your Corroded Skeleton's key.

You can do the first 4 bosses of ICC/10 but will be gibbed by Festergut. Marrowgar could also be touch&go. So you will need to use flasks and indestructible potions. You have 35k unbuffed health(40k after current ICC buff) and fully flasked and buffed you should be sitting on 45k hp.

My rule of thumb is: Once you have completed H HoR you should be ready to set foot into ICC10.

Nevertheless I would try to find a nice group that will take you with them for the first 4 encounters. Especially the tanking shield of the gunship battle would be really nice. Marrowgar also yields a nice tanking mace.

You should try to get the iLvl232 tanking boots from(iirc) H HoR and think about getting the White Knight(or whatever the greenskin equivalent of that is) crafted breast plate. Also H ToC5 yields a very, very nice tanking ring with a blue socket. Also in HoR NORMAL MODE there is a nice shield to be had(as you propably already know).
    You will need some frost badges to get the badge cloak and belt. Make the skeleton key your second priority. Black Heart serves its purpose for the time being. I guess you are not rich enough to get the new crafted trousers and boots done. They are very expensive, but well worth your while. That's better equip than I had when I started tanking ICC25.

Once you are predominantly in your iLvl245s you are ready to go into ICC and should be able to tank the first 6 bosses. And each and everyone of them drops something of value for you. Frankly, the ilvl 251 drops of ICC10 are not always upgrades from their ilvl245 counterparts.

Edit:
    You can improve on your enchants. For the shoulder, get the +stam/+resil enchant. The avoid enchantment is outdated. Also Armsman on your gloves isn't really the bees knees. There you have the option to put some leather patch with +armor on it. Do not gem for dodge or parry anymore. You have plenty on your gear. Gem straight +stam for the time being. Same goes for hit rating. If you need a red gem, consider exp, agi, dodge. But only gem to fulfill your meta requirement. Depending on how soon you can buy the belt you should but a belt buckle into your belt.

Your upgrade strategy should be:
    -improve HP
    -improve armor
    So pick your next biggest upgrade when spending frost badges. The belt and the cloak will stay with you for ages.
    Last edited by Mačl; 05-07-2010 at 03:10 AM.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

thx for the advice!

I am planning to farm for the pillar of might , and I had a chance of winning the splintered door shield but a pally decieded to roll against me and won -_-;;

So i'll make some adjustments to enchant and gems, and farm more 5-man heroics then~

EDIT: so some follow up questions:
    1) so for gloves enhancement, armor > stam or agi enchant?
    2) for shield enchant; is titanium plating worth it,? or stick with +18stam?
    Last edited by Snowwolf; 05-07-2010 at 05:23 AM.

1) I'd say +armor. I never had to make that decision being an engineer. It's simple. you do not have that many ways to improve your armor. So when you get the opportunity, take it. Some people even go so far as to socket agi/stam into red sockets. But to be fair, agi gives minute avoidance and threat benefits, too. It scales with BoK, but seriously, it won't do much difference.
    2) That really depends. ATM you have plenty +def but later on you will find that there are plenty brilliant tanking pieces with 0 def on them. Stick with what you have. Once you've got a new shield +18 stam is nice. I've always used the def enchant. I've never really thought about the alternatives. They are not attractive enough outside of novelty fights.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Toronto, Ontario. (I understand I play an EU server.)
    Wasn't it 14 armour=1 stam? Then the glove enchant wouldn't work since it's +225 armour. (2 stam less and looks uglier ;D).

Keep the shield enchant (+18 Stam)

Word of warning. Don't you dare spend your frost emblems on primordial saronites! Just in case you were considering it ;D

Rule of thumb I've seen is 1 sta = 11 armor. But more ways to get sta than armor. As you start getting into the huge DR for armor (each additional point gives signficantly less damage reduction) then it might swing out to 1:14, but not where he's at. So the +240 glove armor is > 18 sta.

I'd argue for keeping the +Sta shield enchant too - later on in ICC (when you're looking at 264s in most slots) you might find yourself short on Def, but that won't be for a while. Until then Sta > additional def when over the minimum.

well you logged off with your fishing poll on :P

so if you are planning on tanking with your poll no :P

but ToC 10 wound be fine if you have a good group. ICC 10 no.. people tend to only take people really close or past 30k armor and almost or above 40k health. do your frost daily every day and do your raid dailys if you can. try getting the 264 frost belt or the coroded skeleton key. You can downgrade triumph down to conquest for a 226 belt.

And for your spec you need to have the 5th point in there. and switching the two points from focused rage into Improved Disciplines

If you have really good healers and MT you *may* be able to get through the first 4 in ICC 10. I think when our guild started raiding ICC10 I was about where you are nearing 40k unbuffed HP and 26k armor. Marrowgar destroyed me even as the OT. Again. And again. And again. It was the spiky (no pun intended) healing due to bone spikes. If the spikes came out around a cold flame and saberlash, it was like Morrowgar turned into a giant can opener.

Especially once DPS figured out that they *must* switch to bonespikes ASAP the fight became much easier, so it wasn't so much that where you're at is far too low as where you're at requires the rest of the raid to be very efficient. It can be done. Most of the first wing will be like that, you'll be very dependent on the abilities of others (more so than a standard tank and spank) to succeed.

And the Skeleton key is nice, but I think you'd benefit more from the Gauntlets of Kraken and Vergis Belt far more than Skeleton key. Kraken will give you ~70 Sta and ~1150 more armor than what you have. Vergis will give you ~99 sta and 900 armor over what you have. Skeleton Key is basically 100 sta over black heart, which is nice, but overall not as big a jump as the others.

Some things you can do to help increase your gear without buying anything (though buying Pillars of Might and Boots of Kingly Upheavel should be a goal) is to:
    A) Try to get into any ICC rep runs you can, see if your Guildies can help with that. You'll want the Ashen Verdict tank ring you get at friendly. Even if you do a trash run (meaning you stop before Morrowgar) every day, you're likely to get the drop as quickly as the ring from HToC5.
    B) FoS final boss drops 232 feet
    C) Farm Regular HoR for the 219 sheild (it will drop your def below 540, but with the PvP shoulder enchants you'll still be uncrittable)
    E) Don't forget to enchant your sheild - if you need it, that's one way to add some +def back, though you shouldn't.
    F) Don't forget to buy or have a guildy craft a prismatic socket for your belt.
    G) Swap your glyphs - take 2 of these three majors [Last Stand, Shield Wall, Blocking] + the Taunt Glyph. That is unless you're going to be running dual Warrior tanks in ICC. You should have enough threat to be fine on bosses and pull and keep 1 or 2 troublemaking trashies from the AoE tank unless your group massively outgears you, then you'll be in trouble anyway.

Also, keep Black heart, Glyph of Idom, and Clut of Fort, especially early on, these give you mix and match options for different fights, such as LDW is more magic, so once you get Skeleton Key, Skeleton Key and Black heart are good for that fight while Key and Idom are better for Melee fights.

I'd suggest you put together some guild runs for at least ICC trash and see how it goes. The worst thing that can happen is you wipe and realize you're not ready yet, but have a better understanding of what you need the next time.

Get on some ICC rep runs, get the ICC ring and like above said try and get the H PoS and H HoR items. Gloves and Belt from Frost.

Your Gems and Enchants look good ( so you know what you're doing there ) .... Maybe switch Mongoose to Blood Draining on the weapon, as i think the added health below 35% might help when your healers get bonespiked.

My only soft of ??? is you have enchanting, I don't know the profession, but B/Smith adds extra sockets and JC add's 3 +51 stam gems. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by nserafini View Post

My only soft of ??? is you have enchanting, I don't know the profession, but B/Smith adds extra sockets and JC add's 3 +51 stam gems. Food for thought.
    If you're just tanking Enchanting is functionally equivalent to BS/Mining/. Three are interchangeable.

Enchanting gives you Enchanter only finger enchants, one of which is +30 sta for 2x +30 or 60 sta
    BS gives you 2 BS only gem slots with +30 sta gems gives you 60 sta
    Mining gives you 60 sta at whatever it is.

JC gives you the only noticeable bonus, Since the Sta JC gem is +51 instead of +30, you get +21 sta per gem for +3 for +63 total stamina.

Not sure how Engineering's armor enchants factor in.

Now if he ever off-specs DPS, then JC/BS is the way to go. JC is always preferred (though only slightly) and 2 extra gem slots help in mixing and matching to optimize (especially since the enchanting finger enchant is +40 AP rather than strength).

+ Reply to Thread