+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: relax while tanking?

relax while tanking?

Hey i have a problem with getting really nervous while im tanking and sometimes that leads to big problems so i just wanted to ask if anyone has some things they do that relax them or help them in anyway. thx.

just relised this should be in advice thing >.< sorry
    Last edited by Drizzt; 05-06-2010 at 11:12 PM.

Keep at it and get comfy with your spec, it's all about experience

It's just a game and everybody screws up at least once per fight. Not everything that goes wrong can be attributed to the tank.

I remember when I started tanking heroics I was nervous if DPS stole aggro from me and started swearing. It's not your job to cover for the mistakes others make. So if DPS dies, big deal. It's propably their own fault and there are only a few situations where a dead DPS makes a difference.

I assume you are talking about tanking in the 5 man heroics? You need to know each and every pull by heart. That's where you need practice. Practice. Practice.
    Do NOT take friends/guildies with you. That's what pugs are for. So you screwed up and got booted? Big deal. Requeue. There is another pug waiting for you.

So ICC trash is giving you a hard time? Same goes here. You need to know the trash by hard. These stun, those have a nasty melee killing AE, they won't come to me even if I heroic throw them, that group is to cloose to the other so I can't charge, these mobs are untauntable...that's knowledge you get by wiping. A lot. To trash. Then there are situations like LDW trash where it CAN happen a mob runs to a healer or the portal in the Gunship where mobs spawn one after another and some of them are prone to escape or there is the horror that is getting all trash rounded up during the Val event...
    Same thing here. The more often you have done that, the better you know the mobs, the more you know about how to react when and where.

Do not drink a beer to relax. Do not care about repair bills(yours is going to be the biggest anyhow). Do not judge yourself too harshly. Do not apologize for stuff you didn't do wrong.
    So you lost aggro to the Retardin with that legendary axe? He is used to it. Same goes for fury warriors. So the owlbear managed to get a mob to run up to him due to insane AOE? He has seen it before. The mob is propably dead before it reaches him. So the healer has to actually work for his epics? Well, they enjoy the occasional wake-up call(if they are not nervous themselves, there is some pressure behind healing).

If you have good gear, try to do something you can't do with any other toon. Try to solo the Nexus on normal mode in under 30 minutes. Believe me, this builds confidence.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Toronto, Ontario. (I understand I play an EU server.)
    The above poster covered pretty much everything.

I would like to add that you need to remember that since you're the tank, YOU (not anyone else) , is in control. Go at YOUR pace, and don't get pressured by others. If you're tanking raids, make sure you research the tank's perspective. As a tank you should actually know the instance thoroughly. Wiping occus, and the repair bill isn't a big deal.

Don't get frustrated, it's way too easy too and has too big of a negative effect. Your nerves will be cured the instant you clear the content for the first time. After that tanking becomes like clockwork, asides from Putricide, Sindragosa and LK.

There are several things you can do to calm your nerves as well. Getting up and stretching or raid leading (because of the extra control you gain) are very helpful. I usually raid lead and main tank, and I still have time to get up and stretch while fetching a coke .

When things go all to shit, (someone pulled something wrong) , let your instincts pop in and take over. You'll know what cooldowns to pop and how to save your raid. In my opinion, you're probably nervous because you're inexperienced. Thankfully, TankSpot took the liberty of covering tons of content. Don't be afraid to ask if you're unsure.

Oh, one last thing. TAKE A DEEP BREATH and DON'T, under ANY circumstance let anything make you upset or angry.

Probably the best tip I can give you comes with this last line.

A calm tank is a professional one. Keep peace within yourself and tanking will be a breeze.

I agree with what's been said and I certainly shared your nervousness. I had a break for about a year and then when I started again I even had a guild tank run me through some of the instances as I was too nervous to pug them without knowing what to expect. Every time I was doing something new I'd feel tense, but it worked out fine.

However, I think it's sometimes difficult to be in control when you don't know the instance. So if you are running heroics for the first few times I used to be up front and tell the group at the start, and 95% of the time I got helpful responses. The small number of times I didn't I just suggested people leave or I left.

You will sometimes find people who cause stress by being rude or the 'gogo, faster' types. Usually even with those kinds who go ahead and pull or complain it's not fast enough, if I say 'don't pull for me' and 'don't keep saying faster' they calm down, often if I say something I get support from the rest of the group. If not I tend to warn once and then leave. The occasional 30 minute debuff is time I spend on dailies or even a bg for fun. So I'd add don't be scared to sometimes leave a group if they continue to be rude or ignore things you politely ask for. Raids I only did with my guild where I got a load of advice and help, even though I'd read up and watched the movies.

Ah, yes, watching the movies.

They always make the little details seem easy. The problem is, the movies show how stuff looks like when everything goes according to plan. Whic it never does when you are working on new content. Even if it is new only to you.

I remember when I first tanked LDW25. I had tanked the adds in 10 man, but little did I realize how helpful it was to have two tanks grab the 3 adds that spawn at the sides. Same goes for gunship battle and that portal. You have to be there. You have to fail at least once. Even seasoned tanks will still remember those two spots even tho most groups will consider them trivial nowadays.

And ALL tanks(seasoned or no) can tell you the tale of the horror that is pugging H HoR.

Also, if you are tanking raids, get comfortable with your fellow tank. Communicate a lot, define raid symbols, etc., until you reach the point where you intuitively know what the other's doing. Then still communicate a lot wherever it's necessary.

And put on a good jazz record.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    Ah, yes, watching the movies.

They always make the little details seem easy. The problem is, the movies show how stuff looks like when everything goes according to plan. Whic it never does when you are working on new content. Even if it is new only to you.
    And ALL tanks(seasoned or no) can tell you the tale of the horror that is pugging H HoR.
    Agree completely. Even though I'd watched the movies it really helped having good guild mates explaining stuff to get through first few times. Even then we all make mistakes, like my recent confusing of Festergut and Toravon the Icewatcher, leading me to rather sleepily let the other tank accumulate 8 frostbites from Toravon before the shouting in /ra got through to me.

For the first few times, it can be bit daunting experience. But I've also found it a huge confidence builder and a lot more fun if you decide to not to hide covering behind alcoves. Usually tank has to take care of any CC nowadays, so *meep meep!* goes the prot-warrior as he fires up that Warbringer to charge around the room, stunning everything in his way.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

Yes, yes.
    Zipping around in the open is great fun in H HoR. I even have rocket boots for more zippyness.
    Yet this is an instance that can seriously annoy you if you don't get the necessary support from your DPS.
    And I'm not talking about CC, either.
    The last time I was there, my group was unable(lol) to kill the first boss due to low DPS. If the boss still has 50% HP after the 3rd fear and all your crits come up as 3 digit figures then you are doomed, doomed, doomed.
    That's one instance where you can tank as amazingly as you want to, if your group doesn't play ball then there are so many things that can go wrong, it's not even funny anymore. I ran that heroic for some obscure drops and when I fnially had them I usually leave it as soon as I get the loading screen. It's not worth it if you only want some fun and 2 frost badges.

Beer.........
    So long and thanks for all this fish

Learning with pugs is the best way to go and do not bring guildies or friends along. It's nice to have a group that can pay attention, follow your target, and is more forgiving about your mistakes but I think in the long run it will help you become a better tank when learning with a sometimes sub-optimal pug group. I used to get nervous when I was trying to learn on my Warrior and people started complaining about my aggro on aoe trash. You're most likely going to make mistakes but that's what pugs are for. Just my luck, I ended up with heroic HoL my first time ever queueing up for a heroic and I ended up leaving after the first boss. Some 5k+ GS Ret Paladin kept pulling aggro and then spewing insults in party chat for my lack of aggro.

I just understand that in all likelihood, I am going to screw up. It is probably going to happen, never get complacent, accept the inevitable, learn to adapt quickly.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

Ignore the idiot dps they're a dime a dozen that's why they wait 15 minutes and more to get in a random. Keep your healer happy, he/she is your best friend. Plus, it's a game, if they give you too much crap, bear with them until a boss, pull then ninja log and go watch some TV or take a walk.

You're going to lose aggro to the dps who is way more geared than you, it happens. One thing I can suggest is the Threat Plates and Tidy Plates mod. Those tools make tanking much easier and seeing what is going to head to another player, even going so far to tell you who has the aggro on it with a bar above the mob's head.

This is my all purpose stress reliever.

Remember, in the grand scheme of the cosmos, it just doesn't matter.
    "What we need is a special blend of Psychology and extreme violence"

Quote Originally Posted by the hoof View Post
    this is my all purpose stress reliever.

Remember, in the grand scheme of the cosmos, it just doesn't matter.

qft

I don't tank. It saves me all the stress and anxiety. lol.

I would say, that when I started out tanking, I found that one of the main things you had to learn, was to "never panic". Basicly, when things go rough, tell youself "now, dont panic, just focus" Then try not to panic to much and just do what you can do. If it goes wrong, oh well, there was a reason you were panicing, and that reason will usually make you pass the problem as "oh well, I did not save everyone from something they did not expect to be saved from", on the other hand, when you after training start succeding on not panicing, you will start pulling what relative to before seem like amazing stunts, because you just focus and get the job done. Later on when you got tons of experiance, everything just becomes "standard order of busness", where the before amazing stunts becomes more of what you would be expecting you to do every time a problem pops up (simply because your experiance let you plan for such stuff).

The other part is: if you are nervouse and panic, it mainly comes from lack of true confidence (everyone can get overconfident, but true confidence comes from by heart knowing that you will be able to deal with a problem, and therefor can treat it without any major fear). The next thing is, how do you build up the neccesary confidence? Simple, it comes with experiance, and it also helps to try to reach your limmits and then learn to deal with them. When you know where your limmits are, you get a better judment of what you truely are confident in, which in turn will lead you to less panicing, which in turn will lead you to more confidence.

Personally I am missing that nervousity from starting out with tanking. After having tanked for a good time, you get so used to most things that you rarely get pushed far enough to panic knocking at your door, while still being able to hold it in, concentrate and know you are doing something you would consider hard, and not nessesarily fail due to the presure of it.
    Atleast this sort of stuff seem to be nicked to most important jobs in groups: If you got a huge responsibility, you are likely to be norvouse until you get used to the job, but since you need to perform reliably you will start working a bit like a clockwork and you end up missing the trill from the beginning. (which is why I like HoR hc and progression runs)

PUGing H HoR is a comedy rather than a horror.

I once had a healer who got all nervous about me not picking up all the trash on the getaway phase. When he finally made a not very nice remark about my tanking, involving quite a few bad words, I was not the only one laughing. When I told him to shut up and take it like a man, he said he was aggroing all mobs when he's tanking. There was quite a bit of contradiction in his last statement, since he was a shaman, but I didn't realise it untill my fridge logic kicked in.

Another time I got kicked out of a H HoR PUG because dps couldn't burn the caster mobs in time and the healer couldn't heal us through their volleys. I didn't quite get why I was to blame, I guess it was about not keeping aggro on caster mobs. Nevermind the fact that they hit in volleys. But everyone knows that it's all tank's fault anyways, right?

Another time a dps was complaining that the run is much easier with a pally tank... I can make up a less usefull comment in the middle of an instance, but it would require quite a bit of thinking on my part. Another dps, a warrior, blamed me on not keeping enough aggro on mobs for him to attack whatever he pleased, beecause he died often. To my surprise, he was completely serious about this, even though I explained which mobs to burn first at every phase and kept skulling through the whole fights.

On the whole, when I started tanking some remarks seemed offending to me, especially those about non-epic gear or low health, but with time they just lost their novelty. Plus, the people who were making them mostly turned out to be ugly, wipe generating trolls, so I soon figured that there was no point in listening to them ranting at all. And now people's stupidity and ignorance only amuse me and nothing else. So this part you just have to live through, I guess.

A good thing to keep in mind is that even though learning heroics and raids might be stressfull at times, it's nothing a nice song ("Slaughter your world" has the first place on my hit list) can't fix. In general, any song about psycopathic murderers works fine to put a weary tank's mind at ease.
    Last edited by Winterburn; 05-07-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Tam armis quam ingenio

+ Reply to Thread