+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to taunt off the MT correctly?

How to taunt off the MT correctly?

The title says it all really!

I'm very new to raiding and Last night I did my first VoA Toravon run, and it went smoothly but it I did wonder if there's a correct way to taunt off the other tank?

Here's my assumptions; please correct them.

1. Stand next to the other tank so that if he dies I can pick up the boss without spinning him.
    2. Ride the MT's coat tails on the threat meter so that if my taunt misses I can try to out threat the MT.
    3. When I'm being taunted off stop major threat abilites for a moment to give the MT a second to establish the threat lead.

That's pretty much it.

Thanks in advance.

Aitch

^ Pretty much. Also, taunt when you are supposed to, such as for Toravon, the consensus is 3 stacks of the debuff for most pugs. Taunt at two and you'll probably aggravate him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

How to taunt off the MT correctly?

And if you taunt at 2stacks most likely you will have the debuff on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegemite View Post
    And if you taunt at 2stacks most likely you will have the debuff on you.
    Meh. I've gotten it to 10 before and survived. It's more an issue of pissing off a ball-hog imo.

and when tanking trash with another tank its just bad form to taunt unless something is on a healer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler View Post
    I'm on a shark

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    The title says it all really!

I'm very new to raiding and Last night I did my first VoA Toravon run, and it went smoothly but it I did wonder if there's a correct way to taunt off the other tank?

Here's my assumptions; please correct them.

1. Stand next to the other tank so that if he dies I can pick up the boss without spinning him.
    2. Ride the MT's coat tails on the threat meter so that if my taunt misses I can try to out threat the MT.
    3. When I'm being taunted off stop major threat abilites for a moment to give the MT a second to establish the threat lead.

That's pretty much it.

Thanks in advance.

Aitch
    You've already got the basic idea of how to do it...
    As a protection paladin I usually cast Righteous Defense on the MT.
    Then I begin my own rotation on the boss.

When it's the other tank's turn to take the aggro from me I throw Hand of Salvation on myself and continue with my lower threat abilities till there is a safe distance between my threat and the other tank's.
    EU | Skullcrusher | Alliance | Miraii (Paladin Tank) | Anklenibbler (DK Tank) | Mcawesomeguy (Warrior Tank) | Shadeborn (Druid Tank)

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    There are so many tanks that dont know this one.

Part of being a good OT is knowing how to manage your own threat. Its not just the dps that need to manage it.
    http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1341818.jpg
    " 'Thin' is a relative term..."

Conc blow is the last thing I'd hit after a taunt. What happened to shield slam?

Put vig on the other tank, so that if you taunt misses you just taunt again.

Lay off the threat output after they take agro from you, as was stated.

Stacking with the other tank isn't necessary, but it means that if he does die from whiteout or something, and you have 2nd on omen, the boss won't move and the dps won't really have to do much other than keep pressing.

When you taunt, open up all your big hits: SB+SS+HS, TC and even SW to put a good lead on the threat straight away. The other tank won't be able to perfectly predict your taunt unless you tank with them often, so they may hit the threat brakes slowly after your taunt.

Never, ever, ever taunt until your debuff stacks have fallen off, unless by some stupid reason the other tank has even more than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Metasynaptic View Post
    Put vig on the other tank.
    thats actually not a good idea, the tank with vig will taunt for a second, then threat will go right back to you, cause if i remember correctly(im a paladin) vig transfers 10% of your threat to the warrior.

yep, and that allows you to stay a bit closer if they break away from you.

The other tank also gets a 3% damage reduction.

I've never seen a threat problem in voa10/25 putting vig on another tank.

* 3% damage reduction
    * some tank threat goes to the other tank which can keep them closer together on threat
    * free taunt CD reset

In my view, the advantages far outweigh the (small) disadvantages you have raised.

In aprticular, let's look at the core reason you'd put vig on another tank. For some reason, your taunt isn't sticking. 2 things cause this: not enough hit for your taunt to land, or the other tank is laying too much smack down. Either way, vig on the other tank solves both. The chance of missing 2 taunts is pretty small, and if the other tank wails then vig will curb some threat to you.
    Last edited by Metasynaptic; 05-06-2010 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reign View Post
    thats actually not a good idea, the tank with vig will taunt for a second, then threat will go right back to you, cause if i remember correctly(im a paladin) vig transfers 10% of your threat to the warrior.
    It's only a bad idea if one or both tanks are bad. If the vig'd tank knows what he's doing, there's zero trouble picking it up without fear of losing aggro. The vig'ing tank should also be situationally aware of when to stop attacking.

Vig is actually a wonderful thing. So far it saved me a glyph slot.
    That being said I have my eyes glued to Omen shortly after a taunt on Saurfang and company.
    Vig + taunt + continue your normal threat rotation = desaster

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

+ Reply to Thread