+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DK Cant figure out why my dps is so low

DK Cant figure out why my dps is so low

I am an unholy DK dps and cannot get my dps anywhere near where it should be. I have seen tons of Death Knights with much lower GS and same rotation school me in dps.

Here is my wow armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...s&cn=Msmadmama

I have another DK in my guild (again with lower gs) and i specc'd same, used same glyphs and same rotation and in raids he usually has me by 2k at least. I cannot for the life of my figure out what I am doing wrong.

Yup, and no statictics wouldnt help show up whats wrong.

Hows your rotation, sure its right?

Checked elitistjerks?

Can you be more specific on what your dps is like (preferably for stationary fights) and what rotation you're using?

The first and most common issue is the amount of hit you have. Being a Draenei your cap is 7% and you're 5.47% over. The Ghoul does not benefit from Heroic Presence and will benefit from an additional 1% hit but it's not worth it at the expense of your own dps. Using the agi/crit meta is better since it only requires 1 Nightmare Tear to activate. The crit socket bonus on your helm is not worth it and should be replaced with a strength gem. Even if you used a Blood subspec with Bladed Armor the armor to cloak is not worth it. Glyph of DnD and Disease are wrong, you should be using Icy Touch and Ghoul. Minor Glyph of Pestilence also provides a possible dps increase on aoe fights.

With your level of gear and 2pc T10 you may want to consider Unholy/Blood with Reaping. People think that the new spec to go is Unholy/Frost, but it's dps difference compared to Blood/Unholy (non-Reaping) without a proc weapon is not very different. It has some varying benefits such as free interrupts and an increased value to haste but the end result is comparable to the other specs.
    Last edited by bling581; 05-05-2010 at 09:46 AM.

my multiple target rotation is ps,ic,Pest,BB(blood tap), BB,BS.PS.BS,DC

and my single target rotation is, ic,ps, bs,ps,bs,dc,dc,dc,ps,ps,o, repeat

Rotations: IT, PS, BS, SS, BS, DC, HoW, DC...SS, BS, SS, BS, Repeat

IT - Icy Touch
    PS - Plague Strike
    BS - Blood Strike
    SS - Scourge Strike
    DC - Death Coil
    HoW - Horn of Winter

Another thing you can do is on stationary fights like Saurfang, Festergut...etc Pop Army of the dead at the start of the fight.

Also Make sure you are keeping Bone Shield Up at all times. You can always make a macro that uses Blood Tap to open up your rune for your Bone Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by msmadmama View Post
    my single target rotation is, ic,ps, bs,ps,bs,dc,dc,dc,ps,ps,o, repeat
    ps = Plague Strike? That would be a huge reason why your dps is so low if you're not even using Scourge Strike.

Carterhova and bling581 pretty well covered it. Scourge Strike is your bread and butter strike and needs to be used as much as possible. However, you need both diseases rolling (and hopefully wandering plague as well) for maximum damage from Scourge Strike. The reason for the rotation that Carterhova referenced is it gets the diseases on the target and then gets the most out of your hardest hitting strike.

The purpose for the reaping build referenced earlier is that it gives you more Scourge Strikes which increases dps if you can buff scourge strike just enough, which the T10 2 piece bonus usually does. Search Elitistjerks.com for their death knight info. There is a great article there for death knights which explains both rotations well (with and without reaping).

I hate to reference something that takes the "thinking" out of it because you REALLY need to understand your rotation, but I will in this case. Remember, this addon is not right ALL the time. What it SHOULD do, is help you get a feel for how to work your rotation and you will HAVE to understand why it recommends what it does to know when it is wrong. Facesmasher is the name of the addon. It will show you what strike to use next for high dps. Like I said, it is not perfect. It will probably be a big improvement for you, given that you haven't been using Scourge Strike at all. It is important for you to read about and understand the class so you know when you can do something better than what it recommends for the next strike if you reall want to get the potential from your toon.

I say "what it SHOULD do" because it is easy to just mindlessly follow it, but you should not do that.
    Last edited by sifuedition; 05-06-2010 at 09:05 AM.

+ Reply to Thread