+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot pally needs general HALP!

Prot pally needs general HALP!

Hello there!

First of all let me thank you all for your endless knowledge about every important aspect of WoW. Since I was here always as an observer - it halped me a lot when I was putting my first steps on Azeroth .
    I knew that some day I will makie my first thread and it will definitely be in HALP! section.

Let me be honest with you - I always was very casual player, so my problems may sound funny to you . Anyway, I will greatly appreciate any halp . So, I dinged my first lvl80 - a prot pally. All the way to it I was doing EVERY possible dungeon i could [it's shame that such great old-world dungeons are obsolete now] and it was a cakewalk. I've never had any problems with tanking, holding aggro, etc, thou I realize that 5-man content isn't very demanding. Guildless and without any perspective to raid soon [and I would love to] I slowly started to -> get def cap -> go heroics -> farm, gear, farm, gear...

I realise that having someoine who has never been on any raid in group with 9 experienced players may be frustrating, so I wanted to be as prepared as I could, geared with everything I can found best from antything except raiding. Of course I also watch Project Marmot so I can be totally prepared for everything that might happen in any encounter - everything I can do to not be a pain in someone's ass .

Here is my armory:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Youlos%C3%A9

Feel free to comment my gear, spec [I figured it out myself, so it's probably bad], enchants, etc. I'll be grateful for any suggestions!

So yep, today I had my first raid. A pugged one. And as you already know it went wrong and that's why I'm posting here . Since Lord Jaraxxus is weekly on my server I found a gropu without problem. At start I was bitched for my HP, gear, etc. No worries, I was prepared for that also :P. Tanking Gormok went easy thou I realise that most of my party members could have been greatly overgeared and Gormok isn't highly challenging event too. I taunted him when I saw the other tank had too much impale and everything was just great.
    They wanted me to tank Acidmaw. Easy at start, Acidmaw health was burning down pretty fast. I got Paralytic Toxin but someone touched me with fire debuff and it was ok. When I got toxin again I notified everyone about it. Yet no response and debuff was stacking, so I carefully tried to stepback and touch the other tank, cuz it seemed that he was the only one with fire debuff but since he had to kite Dreadscale I finished with being immobilize for a minute or so. Party died -> I'm and idiot -> I got kicked. I'm not angry because I know that wipe on something that is trivial to you caused by someone new may be irritating, so I wanted to ask what was the reason for kicking me and what I did wrong in a polite way, but unfortunately I only found about my mom doing varoius things. So i'm asking you for advices .

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to tankspot , It sounds like you did nothing wrong .If you get that toxin debuff and no one but the other tank has the fire debuff you where right to move towards the other tank .But what i remember is that dreadscale is kited but it does not need to be kited far or fast .So the other tank should be quite close to you so you would be able to get the fire buff from them quite easily. I find that whispering the tank before the encounter about the debuff the next time you go in , may help you alot . Also i would get the pvp enchant for your shoulders the 30stam 15res , From orgrimmar off the pvp vendor and maybe put 22 agility on your cloak. Also maybe get your enchanting up to enchant your rings too with the stam enchant. Which will rise your health up to .I hope this helps you and good luck with your tanking .

Hasslebelf armory http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...&cn=Hasslebelf

Why would you kite Dreadscale at all? To make it harder for poisoned people to get to you? To spread his puddle everywhere? I don't get it.

Youlose, you did nothing wrong. While tanking dreadscale in his immobile mode, you can't move away from him.
    For the rest, your gear looks good for ToC (hell, bluegeared tanks can do beasts,) and once you change some of those dual color gems to pure stam, there's nothing wrong with your gearing at your content level.

Learn to stand up for yourself, too. Remember that there is a tank shortage, and they should be thanking you for going with them instead of someone else. If people claim you did something wrong, ask them what you did wrong and ask them what you should do differently. Most of these people don't understand what tanking is about, and they never will, but someone in the raid should be able to help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Change your should Enchant (as Hassledwarf said) to 30 Stamina + 15 Resilience and put 22 Agi or 225 armor on your cloak. As you are over the "defense" cap change your shield enchant to 18 Stamina. Your Weapon enchant isn't very good and i recommend getting Mongoose.
    Gems: NEVER gem for hit, its not worth the loss in survivability and only get the set bonus on items where it is +9 stamina or more and only requires 1 non-blue gem. Therefore change the 10 hit 15 stamina on helm to 10 Defense 15 Stamina, Shoulder gem to 30 Stamina, Wrist gem to 30 Stamina, Gloves gem to 30 Stamina, Boots to 10 Defense 10 Stamina.
    Leveling Enchanting to 400 with give you a 60 stamina increase.
    Talents, i would recommend changing to http://www.wowhead.com/talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdxfMobc the points in the retri tree can vary and if you do heroics i suggest taking the point out of conviction and putting it in seal of command
    your Glyphs are very weird. i would recommend Changing to Glyph of Diving plea (as this has permanent uptime so is 3% reduced damage all the time), Glyph of Seal of Vengeance (this will get you expertise capped, as you currently have 16 expertise), and either glyph of judgement or glyph of righteous defense (Righteous Defense if you have problems with taunts missing and Judgement if your fine with your taunts)
    Minor glyphs are funny as well, are you using seal of wisdom? Change glyph of the wise to Glyph of sense undead )becuase this increases damage done on undead)

Thanks for replies guys !

Well, I managed to tank those beasts on my second attempt successfully and kill Lord Jaraxxus ! It's funny how little help from other tank [moving few steps closer to me] can make a difference between total wipe and easy kill .
    Thanks for gearing tips! I have never considered putting blue gems in non-blue sockets and thought that it is awfully wrong, so thanks for opening my eyes . I also changed my shoulder enchant and few others - I didn't think that pvp enchants can have any use in pve, so it's another nice thing to know. I'm also buying mats now so I can quickly skill enchanting to 400 and have stamina enchants on my fingers.

Davih - thanks for your comments about everything . I didn't even remember those silly glyphs and changed them already. However I'm not sure about changing the Glyph of Hammer of The Righteous - having one additional target banged with it it's easier to maintain threat, since it's quick direct hit and my other and only high-threat move that hits multiple targets [Consecretion] needs about 3 ticks before it does the same, don't you think?
    Also I changed my talents as you suggestes but I'm a bit concerned about it. Why put 2 points in Improved Judgements? I need it to have 9sec CD so I can use 969 rotation, so isn't it a waste of talent point? And isn't Divine Sacrifice too situational in use? I have no use for Seal of Command cuz I don't need any more Emblems of Triumph [I think so] and only run heroics for Frosts so I ignored.
    My last concern is about weapon enchant. I did some research earlier about it and most people say that Mongoose has only about 20% uptime making it no better than Exceptional Agility. I also heard that Accuracy is best for threat and that Blood Draining is the only enchant that is better.

I changed my trinket to Glyph of Indomitabilty, but to be honest I don't know if it's a good idea, cuz I lost about 111 stamina from Essence of Gossamer. Currently I'm farming ToC Heroic for Mark of Relentless and Frost Emblems for cloak. Or should I get Corroded Skeleton Key first?

If you have any suggestions about my doubts I'll be more than glad to hear them .
    Thanks in advance!

Well hit rating for a tank is not really a issue tbh. If you check the tanks running through Hard modes in icc you 'll see hit even lower than your own. Mongoose is one of the better threat gen enchants . I know you will say "i am a pally threat is easy " . But its the 120 agility proc your after . the glyph is a great trinket for icc cuz of the dodge on use but not really any good for hcs .Also seal of command is great for trash in the raids dont forget that in icc there is loads of trash. Also tanks are trinket horders. I dont really get rid of any ,Iam not sure about the rest . Hope this helps you . And keep on tanking

I'd like to make a comment on this "hit rating is a waste and should not be gemmed for". That is a truth of no small relativity. If you are solo-tanking a hard-hitting raid boss with no issues on threat, then yes, you are better off with the defense rating gems.

However, in encounters where you need to make frequent tank switching, a missed taunt at the wrong time can spell a certain wipe. Your survivability does not really matter a whole lot if the other tank is getting munched to pieces or the boss is healing for 1% of his total health every half second, while you are trying to figure out why the switch failed and fumbling for your backup taunts.

Remember, you are an integral part of a team. Yes your survivability is important, but it won't help you once the rest of the team is dead.

Ideally, you want two sets of gear: One optimized for survivability, which is gemmed with stamina, agility and defense rating, and another set optimized for threat, gemmed with hit rating, strength and possibly expertise. If you are really hardcore you'll want two specs optimized for survivability and threat respectively.

Having wiped one time too many due to failed tank switching, the policy in our guild is that any tank must maintain hit-capped taunts at least for encounters where it is a concern. I (a paladin) personally accomplish this using gems and the glyph of righteous defense. If you don't have threat issues I'd recommend ditching the glyph of Seal of Vengeance, as threat is it's only purpose and you get a decent amount of expertise on gear anyway as you progress (eg. Cataclysmic Chestguard)

Edit: As a side note on Weapon enchants, you should also consider Blood Draining. This was a bad enchant for paladins previously because it lowered the benefit of the ardent defender talent. However, this talent saw a redesign in patch 3.2; instead of having all damage lowered while below 35% health, only that single hit that takes you under 35% health is lowered, which actually gives it a very nice synergy with blood draining, reducing the damage from that single blow even further or even push you back above 35% allowing you to benefit from ardent defender twice in a row.
    Last edited by Ajire; 05-10-2010 at 04:37 AM.
    "You pull it, you tank it" -Ajire
    Armory: Ajire@Scarshield Legion.EU

+ Reply to Thread