+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Awesome addons

Awesome addons

hey guys and gals im kinda new to icc and i was wondering wats some good addons besides DBM if ur a tank for icc

I like OptiTaunt, it will announce taunt resists, misses, immunities to raid/party chat, it will also announce usage of CD's(shield wall, last stand, aoe taunt) to raid/party chat.
    I would also recommend you get a raid frame like grid, healbot, vuhdo, ect... they can be very helpful for most tanking classes. I also highly, highly advocate downloading, and learning to use Power Auras Classic.

Well im a Blood/Frost tank Dk So its kinda wierd but i have a tank pally right behind 80 so that y im trying to figure out some addons

TidyPlates: ThreatPlates is a nice addon that displays your level of aggro on a mob by color coding their name plate. For Paladin tanking VuhDo or Grid+Click will be useful for easy casting of spells like your different Hands or Lay on Hands. I also use a timer bar addon called Need to Know to track procs and CD durations like Divine Plea or Sacred Shield.

I don't know if this helps or if you were looking for general suggestions? I don't know of any ICC specific addons that exist or would be useful for tanking there.

Not sure about how useful it will be as a Tank but AVR + AVRe is fantastic in ICC as a healer, might be helpful as a tank also.
    You might want to get Recount. Looking through the death log to see why you died is a great way to remedy any problems in your raid. Makes it alot easier to find out why rather than just doing the same thing again for another wipe.
    I would personally get Grid and Clique . I'm unfamiliar with DK Taunts and how they work but if you configure Clique to taunt the mob that is attacking your raid, by simply clicking (or ALT-Clicking) on that Fury Warrior who pulled aggro off you can make the taunting process go much smoother in that event. Really only applies to trash pulls though.

You will want raid frames and some sort of decurse addon that makes it easier to "dispel". Decursive is basic and works great. Grid and Clique make great raid frames and decurse feature all in one. I've heard VuhDo mentioned on occasion but know nothing about it. (fudge. don't worry about the decurse part since you a DK)

So far I've been a fan of Grid when it comes to raid frames. Information for what you need and much more is easily displayed. Con to Grid is setting it up. Takes a bit of configuration to do so and isn't quite an instant satisfaction. A nameplate addon can be useful. More so for identifying which targets you are losing aggro or have solid aggro on. Con to this is if there is multiple tanks in a raid. So make sure you are in a habit of checking who the mob is targeting before taunting off. Nameplate addons I've used and tried are TidyPlates, Aloft, and DocsUI Nameplates. I currently use the latter.

A cooldown watcher and spell timer is pretty useful to. ForteXortist is the one I've used for this. Mostly for and as a cooldown timer. Need to know as mentioned above does this as well. Some buff addons like ElkanoBuffBars or ClassTimers can inform you of buffs you might have or want to keep track of on yourself or your target. One of the best mods I've loved is PowerAuras. Great for putting symbols or identifications on your screen or adjusted for however you want. I've seen this used to keep track of stacking buffs as well.

Edit: Eavesdrop is great for minimizing combat log info. It breaks down how you died and how much damage/heals you are getting.

Before grabbing any addons that may annouce to raid or party. Be sure that is ok within your raid. Sometimes the raid leaders may not want the annoucement or find it more annoying than useful.

Other than that. There is a thread with listed addons and addon websites.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?42484-Wrath-Mod-List-%28Read-Before-Asking-For-A-Mod!%29

Also recommend checking out Vranx's Website for checking out reviews on addons.

Re: Awesome addons

I would suggest an Addon called TauntMaster, what it does is shows health frames of your raid and when one of your members gets aggro it will turn red, if you left or right click the persons HP bar it will do the taunt on that person. You can configure it to do other things as well such as (for pallys) Hand of Protection.

It's sort of like Grid and Clique but more noticable and skips having to use 2 addons to achieve the same effect.

But yeah there's my two cents on a tanking addon. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazlex View Post
    I've heard VuhDo mentioned on occasion but know nothing about it.
    It is a raid frame addon like Grid but it has the mouse over feature of Clique built right into it. It's fairly new compared to Grid, which is why it's not as well known yet, but it's features rival Grid or perhaps are even superior. It's an addon to do the same thing but just in a different way.

In regards to VuhDo versus Grid. It is a developer's design decission that largely accounts for the differences between them. People often equate "new" with "better" and that isn't actually true, it's just a different fundamental design.

Grid is designed to be minimalistic, providing the least possible amount of information a raid frame can provide, however be flexible enough and support modifications to itself to allow the user to customize it to fit their needs. You start with a normal car but then adding on additional features like leather seats.

VuhDo is designed to simply have more features delivered. Instead of the user going out to find additional modules, they chose to incorporate them right into it and go for a more all inclusive approach. This is like buying your luxury car with everything already in it.

Fundamentally these are two very different design approachs. Grid will have an advantage in some respects that it will consume less resources by default because you don't have features turned on or included by default, you have to actually get them separate and enable them if you want them. VuhDo works the other way, it includes more features in it than the average user may actually use, and if they want to cut back so it caters to their specific needs they are actually disabling features or have features running consuming resources that simply are unused. So VuhDo has the advantage that the user has to do less work to get the features they may want.

One addon isn't really better than the other. It's just different design approaches to solving the problem of how to display and interact with raid information.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 05-07-2010 at 07:54 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was better because it's new, simply that it's worth taking a look at. I was actually thinking somewhat opposite of that since some ignore or dismiss it without giving it a try because of Grid's popularity and reputation of being "the" addon to use for healing. Healbot has been popular but I don't think it's used as much as Grid. I admit that I occasionally try to promote it but that's because a lot of players will go straight to Grid without even giving it a try. My honest opinion would be to download all 3, set them up and see which one you like best.

As far as tanking is concerned any of them would be just fine since the needs of a tank are pretty simple when it comes to raid frames. Grid probably takes up less memory than VuhDo does.
    Last edited by bling581; 05-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Got Get LUI v3 great addon UI has a lot of stuff set out of the box and now it is easier to install than before.

Looks beautiful......I have changed some of the addons to be able to move things around but it is a great start.
    It has nameplates, grid set up, recount, omen, mini map, side bars that hide, improved chat etc

Go to WoW interface and search LUI v3 or LUI 3v......don't enable Forte in my opinion it is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleeboy View Post
    I would suggest an Addon called TauntMaster, what it does is shows health frames of your raid and when one of your members gets aggro it will turn red, if you left or right click the persons HP bar it will do the taunt on that person. You can configure it to do other things as well such as (for pallys) Hand of Protection.

It's sort of like Grid and Clique but more noticable and skips having to use 2 addons to achieve the same effect.

But yeah there's my two cents on a tanking addon. Check it out.
    Tauntmaster is a TERRIBLE addon.There was a thread about this a while back. All that addon does is cause you to taunt whoever that person is targetting, which may or may not be the mob thats aggro'd to them. If it's not, you just wasted a taunt. Its not possible for an addon to discover what mob a person has aggro on and target it, Blizzard doesn't allow it.

Now I highly recommend Tidy Plates with the Threat Plates plugin. It replaces the normal enemy name plates, so you can easily see which mobs you have aggro on and which you don't. It also shows cast bars right under the nameplate so you can see which mob is casting what and switch targets to interrupt (or spell reflect =P). I also swear by Vuhdo on both my healer and my tank. I found it much easier to configure than grid and much nicer looking than healbot.

+ Reply to Thread