+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best DW Tank Spec

Best DW Tank Spec

What is the Best DW Tank Spec for patch 3.3 ?

Hi Guys
    My First spec with tank in DK is DW frost spec i like both hand weapon style for tank is fun

but i have problem with low rune power , so im looking if any one have spec for DW better that that one i have.
    Thanks.

If your NOT hurting on threat. you could change to 4/5 in Killing Machine. and Remove all points from Glacial Rot. and Put 2/2 in Chill of the Grave and 2/2 in Endless Winter. More RP from IT, HB, OB and your Mindfreeze no longer costs you RP to use.

For starters you really don't want Morbidity. You shouldn't be dropping down DnD other than at the pull, so reduced CD on it is pretty much pointless. Bladed Armor, on the other hand, is a must. Since tanks gain a huge load of AP from this talent, you certainly don't want to miss it out. Epidemic is something to consider, since it simplifies Mutli Target threat generation and gives you more Obliterates and HBs. But it's hard to have in a DW build.

RP starvation is the big problem of DW tanking, as well as one of the reasons I don't really like it. Both Chill of the Garve and Scent of Blood can solve the problem, possibly you'll have to go with both. Although you don't really have to put full three points in Scent of Blood. Since that would require taking out points from frost (second reason I hate DW tanking), Black Ice should be the first thing to go away. I wouldn't recommend taking Endless Winter, however, since strength bonus is worthless for tanks and you really shouldn't be using Mindfreeze, unless you have plenty of RP. Neither would I consider removing Glacier Rot, since it's a solid boost to most of your threat abilities, which comes at a pretty low cost of 3 talent points.

The final build should look something like this. So, compared to an average 2H frost tank, you sacrifice Epidemic, Black Ice, and 1 point from Killing Machine just for the cool DW animation and slightly increased Single Target threat. Doesn't seem like a fair deal, if you ask me.
    Tam armis quam ingenio

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0EhZhxe0A0I0c0fuzAo0xo
    plenty of RP while still keeping all points in KM and black ice which increases threat more than the icy talons talents. and 1 point left to spend as you wish.
    could put that point in epidemic or endless winter if you know how to use interrupts properly.

"I wouldn't recommend taking Endless Winter, however, since strength bonus is worthless for tanks and you really shouldn't be using Mindfreeze, unless you have plenty of RP" Winterburn

Since when is it worthless for tanks to have Strength? Str already gives you more AP 1Str=2 AP with bladed armor its 180armor for 5 str. Strength as well gives benefits to your threat as well as defensive cabailties especially in the form on Parry. DKs especially benefit from this because we dont have a block mechanism so having 22% parry and only 7-8% Dodge in ICC helps a lot. I dont know about you but a lot of trash and bosses in ICC have a lot of interrupt-able abilities. As a tank if you can interrupt them so your dps doesn't have to you are already because you only do 3k DPS max unless you are like ilvl 277 heroic epics.

Quote Originally Posted by Carterhova View Post
    "I wouldn't recommend taking Endless Winter, however, since strength bonus is worthless for tanks and you really shouldn't be using Mindfreeze, unless you have plenty of RP" Winterburn

Since when is it worthless for tanks to have Strength? Str already gives you more AP 1Str=2 AP with bladed armor its 180armor for 5 str. Strength as well gives benefits to your threat as well as defensive cabailties especially in the form on Parry. DKs especially benefit from this because we dont have a block mechanism so having 22% parry and only 7-8% Dodge in ICC helps a lot. I dont know about you but a lot of trash and bosses in ICC have a lot of interrupt-able abilities. As a tank if you can interrupt them so your dps doesn't have to you are already because you only do 3k DPS max unless you are like ilvl 277 heroic epics.
    That's weird sometimes how people don't read what you've written, but read what they want to read instead, isn't it?

I didn't say strength is worthless for tanks, I said that strength bonus from Endless Winter is worthless for tanks. There's a big difference between the two statements. Say, a tank has 1200 strength with all his shiny gear (which an average tank does, unless his gear is really shiny), then 4% is a pathetic 48 strength, which ends up being 96 AP and 12 parry. Which is practically nothing, compared to tactical usefullness of Epidemic, specially agains multiple mobs or with 20% more damage from HB, IT, and FS from glacier rot. So, yeah, the talent is pretty worthless for tanks.

As for Mind Freeze, I have really much more pressing thing to do in a raid, than running to some buggering caster and silence him, while turning my mighty back to mobs and giving them a good chance to kill me with a nice spike. And I guess I'm not alone out there and that's pretty much dpser's job. On the other hand, if a caster is standing on my face, casting some high damage spell, I'd rather pop AMS to make all his dirty magic just a huge boost to my RP.

Quote Originally Posted by uglie View Post
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0EhZhxe0A0I0c0fuzAo0xo
    plenty of RP while still keeping all points in KM and black ice which increases threat more than the icy talons talents. and 1 point left to spend as you wish.
    could put that point in epidemic or endless winter if you know how to use interrupts properly.
    I find IIT is pretty much appreciated by any raid that doesn't have a frost DK dps and that would be every raid I'm in, except those where I am that very frost DK dps. So I guess it pretty much depends on your raid composition. Then again, even though Black Ice is pretty good, I think it's just too costy to spend 5 talent points for only about 6% increase on your total damage, unless you are a dps.
    Tam armis quam ingenio

Quote Originally Posted by Carterhova View Post
    If your NOT hurting on threat. you could change to 4/5 in Killing Machine. and Remove all points from Glacial Rot. and Put 2/2 in Chill of the Grave and 2/2 in Endless Winter. More RP from IT, HB, OB and your Mindfreeze no longer costs you RP to use.
    ok u mean the spec it look like this is nice to use [Chill of the Grave] but remove 3 point [Guile of Gorefiend] 45% critical i think this important for threat also i dont have cap in expertise to get more threat so i cant loss it.

and [Endless Winter] with 4% strength i dont know if we can compare it with [Guile of Gorefiend] ?
    thanks

If you're going to move points, I'd suggest taking them out of Icy Talons and Improved Icy Talons; let a shammy buff the raid. Bladed Armor is a better place for 5 of the points IMO.

My DW spec is this http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0EZhxe0N0Iof0fuzAo0xb; while runic power may run a bit low, I have no threat issues.

Winterburn

For starters you really don't want Morbidity. You shouldn't be dropping down DnD other than at the pull, so reduced CD on it is pretty much pointless. Bladed Armor, on the other hand, is a must. Since tanks gain a huge load of AP from this talent, you certainly don't want to miss it out. Epidemic is something to consider, since it simplifies Mutli Target threat generation and gives you more Obliterates and HBs. But it's hard to have in a DW build.
    Hmm.. you right 3 point just for [Morbidity] 15 sec is good but DnD is not holding aggro much not like HB like what you say.

ok your spec is good because u replace [Black Ice] 10% damage for only Frost and Shadow
    with [Bladed Armor] Increases AP by 5 for 180 armor that
    mean if i have (28000 armor / 180) * 5 =777.77 AP wow nice

and have [Chill of the Grave] with 2/3 [Scent of Blood]

hmm ... what your opinion guys

Personally, I like Morbidity, I use DnD more then on the pull, but when in DW Frost, I have the 2 piece t10 bonus (20% increase to DnD) so helps grab threat. I can understand moving those points to either Scent of Blood (2 points only, 3 is too much) or Chill of the Grave, but having both is overkill.

I like to have a point in Deathchill, others do not; but since I only use DW Frost for heroic 5 mans and trash, I like being able to drop DnD, then hit with a Crit HB and Deathchill gives me the crit on demand. Mindfreeze is actually pretty useful in ICC lots of caster trash to interrupt - you're raid will thank you.

your spec is nice i try it before but with litile different Here Icy Talons and Improved Icy Talons you get more threat also u with slow/slow weapon

Attack speed make you hold aggro for Single Target with auto attack.

try it and post the difference thnks.

NP. I'm not a big fan of Acclimation, but it's okay.

In fairness my spec is a bit of a variation on standard DW specs taken off Tankspot; there are a bunch of threads on this topic, but I can never find them.

I have the 2 piece t10 bonus (20% increase to DnD) so helps grab threat
    this another think 20% increase to DnD this is nice, do you use DnD glyph ?

Quote Originally Posted by suliman View Post
    this another think 20% increase to DnD this is nice, do you use DnD glyph ?
    No just the 2 piece set bonus.

OK before i was in 2H frost spec here this is good for Single/Multi target i change it to this DW spec From "Winterburn"
    with single target is nice ( better with slow/slow weapon) but with Multi target no, i don't know why ??

but is that mean 2H Tank better that DW Tank ?

I'd be the first one to tell you that any DW Frost spec is more about fooling around with an awesome-looking, plate-wearing, rogue-like tank than about actual usefullness. All the DW talents, which you have to get to make DW work, give you only about 5% more Single Target threat. I can't really imagine a situation when a DK will be low on ST threat, not with the new Icy Touch mechanic. And since most likely you'll end up with slow dps weapons, there's no avoidance gain for DW tanks. So I would recommend staying 2H.

By the way, speaking of your two handed spec, it is pretty much Single Target oriented as it is. Taking points from Two-handed Weapon Specialization and putting them into Epidemic does the trick for Mutli Target threat, since it'll be easier to keep up diseases and, more importantly, longer disease timers equal more Obliterates and HBs.

About full three poins in Scent of Blood, I'm not sure you can burn that many charges with a 2H weapon even the the huge haste buff from ITT. I haven't tried it in 3.3.3, but I guess you might want to look into this.
    Tam armis quam ingenio

OK thanks every one to help me with DW tank spec , and im still interesting with it :P

if any one want to try DW Tank spec i suggest to use this one here.

also if you want AoE DW Tank go full frost like this.

Thank you.

Im not having any proplems at:
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n&cn=Descartes
    Build and gear, disbite the pre-naxx gear and people kicking me out before giving me chance to prove; I am equally good. Aswell done this instances far more.
    (if you would calculate overall all three characters at 80ies)

I've had a couple guildies asking me for advice on DW tanking and the two builds I always throw at them are:

DW with Improved Icy Talons
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0EbZh...fuzAo0x:Tad0MV

Or DW without Improved Icy Talons
    http://www.wowhead.com/talent#j0EbZh...fuzAo0x:TadV0M

Both use a single disease methodology with Glyph of Howling Blast for ease of use (and because my personal observations have shown very little gain with double disease despite being a much tighter rotation). In a raid situation you may want to replace Scent of Blood with Chill of the Grave to reduce the effects of RNG.

And I would say Bladed Armor is a must, last time I checked my numbers it was accounting for about 23% of my total (unbuffed) AP. I don't think it will account for quite that much at lower gear levels, but it's still significant.

Just for S&G's, my armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...gn=Lightbearer

+ Reply to Thread