+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LFG Leveling

LFG Leveling

I really hate questing so when two of my friends and I rolled on Trollbane ( I had intended to make a warrior anyway) we decided to roll A. Prot warrior, B. Holy priest, and C. Rogue. I figured that leveling as prot would be a good way for me to learn how to tank and would be more fun than simply questing. However,my friends and I (for various reasons) can't seem to stay at the same level range and play at similar times.
    So my question is: is lfg leveling viable and decently fast (i.e. won't take me forever to level at higher levels (50+), or should I respec to the leveling spec.
    Here is my character for reference http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ne&cn=Sharkain
    (p.s. if you see any bad talents or gear (some of mine is pretty bad) feel free to point it out )

LFG will great for leveling as prot! You learn to tank along and get lots of experience in a dungeon/ raid type environment. Rather than questing protection which i had to do. Because when i was leveling there was no LFG! Which made me a not so great tank when i first hit 80. I had to study my class way more than intended though soon i found myself a better tank after 1 month of 80 from expirience. You will get the experience you need and not have to go through what I did! Good luck on leveling Sharkain!

It is fun but i've had some terrible groups today. First i had a ret pally who had a low polearm skill pulling 6 dps, a prot pally 'tank' who queued as dps but kept rightous fury on and (i may be wrong about this)but used hand of reckoning like 70 times according to recount and i think its a taunt effect, then I had a priest more worried about mind controlling mobs than healing, and best of all blaming me when i died (he pulled almost an entire room) because "i die so goddamn fast" despite not recieveing any heals from him and ofc non of the dps were classes that could heal.

The tank experience earned will be put to great use however the levelling experience will naturally slow down the higher level you are. Running the same instances especially at 30-40 range will get tiresome (for me anyway) but with friends I'm sure you can break through that barrier. The only trouble I see is keeping within range of each other to do LFG runs.

Gear wise is basically get what you can, leather can be good substitutes if it has good stats but mainly focus on mail (plate at 40+)

The main troubles I've heard from low tanking warriors is keeping AoE threat, I don't know if you are having trouble in that aspect but it may become a problem in the higher dungeons. Talent choice like this http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LZZVItbocz:fZm I feel greatly increases you AoE tanking capabilities. Use thunderclap, sunder armour and cleave (instead of heroic strike) to keep them all attacking you. Rage starvation is a problem at low levels so micro-managing will be critical.

Its a shame that you don't have access to heirlooms as that will greatly increase the speed of leveling.

Edit : Bad groups will make you rip all your hair off, its the same at low and high level except the punishment is usually greater the higher you are. All you can do is whisper them and hope they take your advice.

I recently leveled a priest through LFG. At around level 40 Blackrock depths was driving me crazy since i got for 10 times in a roll. That could be boring but as stated above you get to learn your class better through LFG.

I've found dungeons at about 60-65 are much slower than questing, especially with mates.

I recently LFG leveled my prot war from 40 to 80 (abandoned in BC at 40), had alot of fun. I don't know how much faster or slower it was than quest leveling, but:

1. It wasn't mind-numbingly boring doing all the same old quests again
    2. Taught me how to tank on a warrior better
    3. Moved at a decent enough rate w/ BoA shoulders and chest that I never felt like I needed to quest level to speed up.

I also had fun by powerleveling Engineering along the way, so I had the epic tank goggles at 62 and 72, bombs, and the Goblin Rocket Launcher (which really comes in handy in both dungeons and Hellfire Penninsula pvp).

I just leveled from 1-80 LFD and it was no faster or slower than questing ONLY if you are a tank, you pretty much need the instant que's a few notes. You will have little to no gold. Your gear will be awesome should you decide to pvp from time to time. You will know your class very well. You will already know the tricks for dealing with bad gruops before you hit teh heriocs slog. Questing is not as bad as people think i level 1-60 all prot quested 60-70 while doing dps instead of prot. went 70-76 all LFD quested 76-77 for cold weather gold 78-79 was LFD 79-80 i was so sick of wow all i did was pvp.

Thanks for the replys. It does seem to get a lot slower the higher level I get and now with so many zones open for me to quest after I get the sword of omen or whatever I'll probably stop for a bit. As for I'm fairly poor with a mere 50G to my name so dual spec isn't happening anytime soon. So, should I level with a sword and shield in def stance or switch over to battle or berserk stance? Should i change from a one hander to a two hander or dw? And what leveling rotation should I use?

My young prot warrior has leveled only in LFD since level 20. He was my first toon and leveled to 20 before I rolled my pally. This was all before the LFD, of course. I find that I really like leveling this way as it will be my fifth 80 and I just can't stand the same quests again. Personally, I would level in LDF until 58, then quest for rewards and drops in Outland until 60. This will ensure you aren't too squishy for the Outlands dungeons and will net you some gear a little faster, IMO. I would do the same for transitioning to Northrend. At 68, quest in Northrend and start using the LFD again at 70. Also, I would use a site like wow-loot.com to plan what quests / quest chains will net you some tanking gear.

Bad groups are frustrating but consider this: bad groups teach you more about your class than the good groups. A good group makes the tank job easy. Underperforming healers teach you how to get the most survivability out of your class. Underperforming dps teach you how to try to cover for them and survive longevity fights. Eager dps help teach you how to manage "wave" type fights. Lots of mechanics can be learned this way.

+ Reply to Thread