+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: dungeons finder/pug horror storys

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    today I got into a daily group and the tank was a ret paladin with a shield and sword on......

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

I heal since vanilla and tank since BC. I have seen much in 5mans, since I like to do them. I only left my group once because of the performance of my group. Now I was kicked for the first time. It happened with my new pally tank in heroic forge of souls.

My pally had only halve purples when it happened, but up until the first boss we had no problems and the only one struggling with mana was me. When we reached the first boss I looked again at the mana-bar of my shaman healer and found it at 80%. We had a warrior with about 60 rage so I decided to be a nice tank and enter combat fast so that he could use his rage.

While we did the 1st boss the healer wrote "are you mad?" in the channel. The healer left the fight with 40% mana, so I was not sure if I was the person he meant with his comment and I asked what his problem was. He asked if it was normal on our server to pull a boss when the healer is regging mana. I said that yes, it actually is normal behavior as I see when I play my healer. His response was something like "nowadays everybody claims to have a healer and a tank as an alt". (Which was a little bit funny since I obviously just played an alt tank.) I told him that I monitor healer mana and that since he left the encounter with 40% mana he had never been in danger of running oom.

Shortly we reached the final boss. Nobody had died up until then. Nobody but me had pulled aggro. I waited until everybody was at full mana (which took some time since the healer did not drink immediately). When I pulled the final boss nobody got heals and only one of the dps entered combat. The boss was at 70% when I had no more CDs and we wiped. All of us died. Then I was kicked.

I don't mind being kicked since the atmosphere was bad and I got a new group instantly. But what I keep asking me is: Why? Why kick the tank while doing the last boss if she does not really crazy things? Why deliberately wipe and pay repair bills, when there would have been no problem to kill the boss? They had to endure me maybe one more minute. But now they had to wait for another tank to enter the group. So late in the evening, that would be at least 5 minutes. Maybe 10 or 15.

My next group told me that they would prefer me pulling faster... Especially the healer was bored...

I was in a HoR group on a bad PC that I was using while away from home, it could run the game but I was using the default UI with no mods (except DBM). As a warrior tank I always tank out in the open, using heroic throw on mages, intervene and charge to pick up all the mobs, get them together, then AoE spam them. This was going fine until the 4th wave before the boss, where the combination of no mods and crappy mouse/keyboard meant that I didn't pick up a mob fast enough and a DPS died. They then got ressed before the boss and we carried on as normal. Killed the boss.

After the boss I say "GJ", as I usually do when things don't go great but we make it through, the shaman (who was healing) then starts bitching at me, saying stuff like "no thanks to you", I'm sort of confused, then he goes "tank it in the alcove", I say I prefer the open, this is all during the 6th wave and all is going fine, and he says " tank in the alcove or I won't heal you". He proceeds to not heal me, I'm now at about 10k HP and the 7th wave is incoming, I let the healer get all the aggro, run back to the entrance, hearth out, and they all die, then leave .

Quote Originally Posted by Toushiro View Post
    today I got into a daily group and the tank was a ret paladin with a shield and sword on......
    Hows that bad? We had back in 3.0, Fury warrior with tanking gear (and def cap up 5,6%) offtanked Stone Watcher. He used as main-hand Kel'Thuzak drop, two-hander, Death's Bite if I remember correctly.

This was not a horror story, basic if you can taunt a target its tankable on any specc.

Here's few cases seen lately on leveling lowbie alts. Basicly people have half of activity compaired to mine.

Few cases on SM Armory etc..
    I seen players not casting spells even while they got mana, I had aggro and they kept checking wereabouts around them by turning with A and D default buttons. "Like you cannot use your mouse to check whats behind you, while casting spells."

Aswell saw yesterday two "AFKers" they just /follow targeted me as I was healer and just need rolled whole instance.
    First time I looked bit open-handed, prehaps he went to bathroom etc.
    But when another same kind of case came appear, just stopped healing everyone and made clear we are going to kick this player nomatter how long we wait, or keep finding another healer.
    Luckyly agreed on my terms, somebody else was annoyed us doing the work, while others doing just following.

I wish you good luck on later PuGs, and may the luck look upon us with fortune.

..."tank in the alcove..."

My standard reponse is along the lines that "only Paladins hide in corners. I'll tank this like a Warrior, thankyouverymuch."

It's also the reason why I'm less and less inclined to do randoms out of guild. I've come to the conclusion that 5 mans only have room for a single arrogant @$$hole, and since I'm already eminently qualified for, and comfortable with the role... < grin >

"gogogogogogo". This drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ygar View Post
    ...The [DK Tank has] 4800 gs. So we start. And on the first boss I pull 70 more dps than him. And we wipe (what I would do for an agro dump right now). So I thought fluke and go back for another try. Well maybe not fluke. It happened again. So I ask him what the hell is going on. And he says he can't do anything more...
    I had a similar run where the DK tank was complaining the whole run about us pulling off him constantly. We were polite and didn't counter with "l2tank" or anything. He was pretty easy to pull off of. We'd wait a bit, hit his target a couple times, get a threat warning or even pull off him.

Just before the last boss, I checked his buffs. No frost presence. When he switched to his tank spec, he forgot to turn his presence on.

I'm thinkin your DK tank had the same issue....and It's the first thing I check now when I see a DK tank that can't hold aggro well. I do the same with Righteous Fury and Pally tanks.

It honestly bothers me to the depths of my soul when people can't understand how to play a game, whos difficulty is curved SO much by its creator.. and still do far below subpar and are incredibly terrible at a game so simple as this. I restarted playing last year around the end of October.. I rolled a fresh warrior and dk.. and whenever I'm in pugs, or even random BGs.. people can't seem to grasp simple instructions or figure out how to play this game properly even though its all just do this > do that > do this again. I mean on the way to 80, it's still a learning experience.. but when your in a group with a warlock.. gemming STRENGTH.. at 80.. it kinda puts me over the edge

tl;dr people can't comprehend a glass of water. It pisses me off

I healed H VH once with a new tank who must have spent most of his time pvping, because he ran in circles around every mob...including cyanigosa.

Another time in H CoS I spent the first half of the instance freaking out and trying desperately to keep everyone alive because the pally tank didn't have righteous fury up. when we noticed this, just after the first boss, and told him repeatedly to put it on, he didn't respond at all. it wasn't until we threatened to kick him after half the party (including arthas) died in the hallway before chrono-lord epoch that he finally responded with "I don't have that spell."

then there was the hunter who kept bitching at our tank for not holding aggro on the untauntable mobs in H AN. this was back when ulduar was the new hotness, and the hunter was all in 226 gear while our tank was still in his new 80 blues. I admit I kind of enjoyed lecturing him on how to manage his aggro as dps, and when he responded "I f***ing know how to play my class, the tank just can't hold aggro!" I also enjoyed letting him die

I think I must have a masochistic streak; otherwise I'd have to stop healing pugs.

I just killed a healer who "gogo"ed me for doing it by the book in Azjol'nerub. Twice.
    I managed to kill him on Hadronox(the old taunt-after-the-boss-hit-the-healer-twice-and pick-it-up-and-all-the-thousand-adds-he-aggroed trick) and on Anub'Rekhan. With 3 DPS I don't need a healer and I most certainly don't need anybody who forces me to take risks I can't possibly control. I jump-started him after the little Hadronox adventure and asked him if he had learned his lesson. His answer implied no, so I had Anub hammer point home. Literally.
    There are still some places in the old heroics where you can wipe if you rush in head-long or try to cheese your way through. I will have none of it and I have already been wiped by a healer on Hadronox.
    ...so I guess that's rather the healers horror story rather than mine. But the DPS got what I taught them.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Gina, if a DPS bitches in a PuG about the tank, I pst the healer to let that DPS die until he stfus and learns how to not aggro.

on topic:

I get into a random for my daily frost, it's HoS, we clear the trash, tank starts to go to the rock boss, everyone in the grp is like "WTF where the hell you going nub" tank replied to the idiots "I don't skip bosses so suck it up or gtfo and wait 30 minutes to sit in another 15-20 minute que" the people in the grp shut up and we did a full HoS, the 2 DPS got the full clear HoS achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

I was in HDTK this morning. The tank wasn't doing all too great because they chose this heroic to level up their 1h weapon skills. The tank's threat was so low that I pulled aggro on trollgore at 50%, hit escape and just stood there, and still had aggro on myself until he died. The dps was myself (fury warrior) a retadin and a shaman. The shaman looked like a fresh 80 from his gear and wasn't dropping totems and had lackluster dps and damage done. Still, we were pounding through mobs at breakneck speed.

We get to the part right before the giant t-rex, the DK suddenly throws a fit about the shamans dps. He/She then proceeds to open a death gate and port back to Acherus. The DK was the dungeon guide, we couldn't kick him/her, and he/she refused to come back. So the retadin specced over to prot while we 4manned the rest of the instance. All the while, the DK complained and talked about how good their sandwich was while making fun of us.

WTB better kicking ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    Literally.
    There are still some places in the old heroics where you can wipe if you rush in head-long or try to cheese your way through. I will have none of it and I have already been wiped by a healer on Hadronox.
    ...so I guess that's rather the healers horror story rather than mine. But the DPS got what I taught them.
    The Drake Hall in H UK, is one such place when the tank decides to pull the entire room and the dps let loose on the trailing adds - gets really ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    "gogogogogogo". This drives me nuts.
    That definitely sucks. But I have had the occasional tank who will sit there while the healer is jumping on his head, full mana, for five minutes. "Ready?" "Yes, that's why we're all jumping circles around you with full mana."

The most annoying was tank who sat there CUTTING GEMS before a pull. We're standing there ready and see xxx has created Runed Scarlet Ruby over and over again.

This "gogogo" thing is bit annoying what comes to lowbie alt dungeons.

Well priest, making shadow resist, sta and spirit to everyone well tank rushes pulls whole room and I am drinking oh noes tank dying.

Then I was forced to leave while buffs costumed my mana and I told everyone MB before we start pulling packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    This "gogogo" thing is bit annoying what comes to lowbie alt dungeons.

Well priest, making shadow resist, sta and spirit to everyone well tank rushes pulls whole room and I am drinking oh noes tank dying.

Then I was forced to leave while buffs costumed my mana and I told everyone MB before we start pulling packs.
    As a levelling tank, it can be excruciating trying to walk the knife-edge between having people scream GOGOGO and hunters pulling for you and demanding you save them, or pulling too fast and having your healer run OOM and bitterly blame you for the wipe.

I have sat with a drinking healer and had the (extremely annoying) hunter pull four mobs... his pet died... and he screams at me TANK, GO. "You pull it, you tank it. I'm hanging with the healer because he needs mana." His response was "If you see us fighting you HAVE TO HELP" like this is some rule of wow written in stone and handed down to Moses.

Being a low-level tank can be extremely frustrating.

...that's why I do it by the book, will not sneak past pats, try to outrun events, not cheese the mechanics...

H HOL has the room of death
    H UK has the drake room
    H OK had nasty pats and some really ugly caster mobs. Only one nasty pull remains.
    H AN has "lets pug the achievement for the first boss"
    H AN has "let's jump down and somehow reset the Hadronox event"
    H POS has "let's ride up the hill before the groups spawn"
    H DTK has "let's aggro every dino and the boss and do the achievement"

The list goes on and on. Basically every dungeon has some place where you can wipe. Horribly. So I will wait for pats. So I will pull and LOS casters to me. So I will not cheese my way past stuff. So I will not take any additional risk.

I pull at breakneck speed because I need my rage and have no problems to pull/charge the next group while DPS is still killing the first group. But sometimes I do it by the book. A wipe costs more time than doing it properly. And no, I don't need a healer anymore as long as I have enough DPS with me.

...also toons named Preistslut don't inspire confidence in me.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Had the gogogogo jerk this morning in H UK when I was on my DK so I wentwentwent pulled the entire first room with me to the anvil where upon the healer couldn't keep up and we wiped. Healer left, we did the rest of the dungeon at a nice pace, good clean run (as H UK should be) and no further issues. I've now adopted the posture of give them what they want.

I've also, given up on the you taunt it you tank it; frankly, it's not worth the hassle of not saving them from themselves; it's easier if I just grab the mob and move on; I give up - they win lol.

...that's why I do it by the book, will not sneak past pats, try to outrun events, not cheese the mechanics...
    Every time I try to do it by the book my group ignores that and try to skip something or jump down somewhere. After wards they ask me why I didn't do what they did, since it is clear that there is absolutely no other way to do the instance...

I pull at breakneck speed because I need my rage and have no problems to pull/charge the next group while DPS is still killing the first group. But sometimes I do it by the book. A wipe costs more time than doing it properly. And no, I don't need a healer anymore as long as I have enough DPS with me.
    I got a friend tank crying when he tried to heal me through H AN on his new druid. I did not wait for him when I pulled Anub and he had to watch helplessly how we did it without him. Nobody else could switch to healing and he saw our hp bars slowly emptying. Everybody survived but he asked us to never do such a horrible thing to him again.

It's hard to think of many horror stories on my end, and I've done many PuGs.
    Maybe it all just blends in with the learning process of how to carry random groups.

The only remotely recent one I can think of was the last time I tried to do the alcove method for the waves in H HoR. I had done it successfully a couple times on my warrior tank, but this was the first time doing it on my death knight tank (the waves at least, I got thrown into a PuG doing the escape sequence some time earlier with him). Needless to say, all it takes is ONE player being slow in getting into that corner to cause problems (in this case, an arms warrior who used bladestorm every time it was off CD). We wiped repeatedly and I was starting to lose my cool (a VERY rare occurrence), before we simply called it. I actually stopped tanking for a week or two at that point, so great was my annoyance.

.... and then, in a strange twist of fate, I heard about the hallway method. Gave tanking another shot, only to get tossed back into H HoR as the first random I've tanked in a long time. The hallway method didn't just work, it had to be the smoothest run of the place I had ever done up to that point (and they've only gotten better since). It wasn't too long ago that I got tossed into H HoR on my DK tank, and I hadn't returned there (as a tank) since that one fateful day. It was a group that had gone through no less than two other tanks (both DKs no less) and had wiped several times already. I could only say one thing...

"Oh bugger."

Yeah, wasn't looking forward to it. Well, you won't solve any problems if you don't even try. So I gave the hallway method a go, and it was a great run that garnered applause from the group. Most people can't believe how much easier the hallway method is compared to the alcove, but I think this group really appreciated it. Wiping several times with other DK tanks, only to have another one come in and give them (or help them, it's all the same) a wipe-free clear? It just feels good.

I guess that was a horror-redemption story of sorts, but I think the first bit qualifies for horror. Getting over it was quite nice though.
    He who isn't afraid to stand by his ideals...
    Isn't afraid to stand alone.

+ Reply to Thread