+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Need advice/guidance, DK tank returning after a year and four months.

  1. #1

    Need advice/guidance, DK tank returning after a year and four months.

    Just what the title says, it's a different game now.

    I was an unholy DK MT from WotLK launch, server first on all the content available at launch, then burn out from playing non-stop since vanilla launch. Got a real job/family, didn't have time to come back till now. I'm not in a raiding guild, mainly playing with friends, but they are all new and want to raid, plus I see tons of PuG's looking for tanks.

    TL/DR: I want to raid.

    My gear when I quit was all BiS. Now it is a joke. I'm a new spec and adjusting, Gems are new/talents new/gear new. What should I be looking at for gear progression to jump into 10mans? How's my spec? anything you all can help me with is greatly appreciated.

    PS: My trade skills were for min/max, I didn't raise them more because I got what I needed from them. :S

    PPS: I know I'm 535 Defense for heroics, I switch out chests to be 540 for a raid if I get in one. :X

    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&cn=Solsolsis

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    696
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverender View Post
    Just what the title says, it's a different game now.

    I was an unholy DK MT from WotLK launch, server first on all the content available at launch, then burn out from playing non-stop since vanilla launch. Got a real job/family, didn't have time to come back till now. I'm not in a raiding guild, mainly playing with friends, but they are all new and want to raid, plus I see tons of PuG's looking for tanks.

    TL/DR: I want to raid.

    My gear when I quit was all BiS. Now it is a joke. I'm a new spec and adjusting, Gems are new/talents new/gear new. What should I be looking at for gear progression to jump into 10mans? How's my spec? anything you all can help me with is greatly appreciated.

    PS: My trade skills were for min/max, I didn't raise them more because I got what I needed from them. :S

    PPS: I know I'm 535 Defense for heroics, I switch out chests to be 540 for a raid if I get in one. :X

    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...e&cn=Solsolsis
    A quick rundown.....

    Run heroics. Grab badge gear. All of the t9 stuff will get you prepped and ready for ICC.... and definitely ready for Ulduar. And it's easy to build a solid tank set within a week or two.Make sure you run the daily random heroic for frost emblems. Don't get hung up on BiS. >_< ... Personally... I hate that. BiS is true ONLY IF you have all the other pieces in place. Also... realize that t9 and t10 gear have the same defense value! Quick example: t9 chest has defense.... t10 doesn't!

    Looking at your armory.... a couple things.
    -Keep hold of Essence of Gossamer. It's still a nice trink. I use it if I'm dealing with packs of trash to take some bite out of hits
    -Inevitable defeat is still a damn good DK tanking weapon. I would keep that and use it until you get a drop from ICC. Trust me... you're aren't going to find much of sh!t that has the awesome combo of str/agi/stam/expertise that Inevitable Defeat has. Go ahead.... look all you want. I've looked.
    -Monarch Crab.... the way you have it gemmed up... it'll be hard to beat with any trinket less than one of the frost emblem ones like Corroded Key. Keep it. Anyone who scoffs at it's low gear score... kindly point out to them that it's +114 stam, +34 def.... and has a cooldown that gives higher dodge than Ick's Rotting Thumb
    -Switch out Sigil of Awareness for Sigil of Virulence. I know... Insolence gives dodge. Read it carefully: "each time you use Rune Strike, you have a chance...". BLAH! One... you NEED to use Rune Strike, meaning.... "I hope I can get a dodge or parry!" and dodge is nerfed in ICC.... and Two... it ONLY GIVES YOU A CHANCE for a proc. Frankly.... that sucks. Virulence procs often and on your big hits. When it does... you can watch your threat/dps climb.

    I'm not going to nitpick gear beyond that. Now.....

    Your build. IF you want to keep Inevitable Defeat.... frost might not be the best way to go. It's your call. You really should run with a build you truly feel comfortable playing. Confidence > all. Well.. not really... but it counts for a lot. If you want to go with a 2H.... look at a blood spec. If you like frost.... at least think about DW as the talent tree has changed significantly to support this style.

    Trade skills..... are the icing. Gratz.

    Just for reference.... here's what I'm currently running with : Draecos of <Kickin Back>
    No one tanks in a void.........

  3. #3

    Thanks.

    I appreciate the input.

    I did end up switching to blood, and honestly AoE seems just as fine without howling blast. (Blood Tap BBoil taking its place.)

    At this point my biggest issue is: Tons of lost Hit and Expertise from gearing up.
    I also need to redo my gems. :/

    How are you all maintaining threat stats in the transition period between badge gear to icc gear?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    US
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by Leucifer View Post
    Inevitable defeat is still a damn good DK tanking weapon. I would keep that and use it until you get a drop from ICC. Trust me... you're aren't going to find much of sh!t that has the awesome combo of str/agi/stam/expertise that Inevitable Defeat has. Go ahead.... look all you want. I've looked.
    No. It's a nice weapon, but the lack of top end damage is a problem in ICC. That 15% buff is increasing DPS threat much faster than tank threat. He should get Tyrannical Beheader from H-POS.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leucifer View Post
    -Switch out Sigil of Awareness for Sigil of Virulence. I know... Insolence gives dodge. Read it carefully: "each time you use Rune Strike, you have a chance...". BLAH! One... you NEED to use Rune Strike, meaning.... "I hope I can get a dodge or parry!" and dodge is nerfed in ICC.... and Two... it ONLY GIVES YOU A CHANCE for a proc. Frankly.... that sucks. Virulence procs often and on your big hits. When it does... you can watch your threat/dps climb. [/url]
    Please stop. You're making my head hurt. Sigil of Insolence is much better. For me, it averaged 70-80% uptime in ICC. The effect of 200 more dodge rating is exactly the same in ICC, ToC, Ulduar and anywhere else in WoW. As it procs. you get more rune strikes, which means more procs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leucifer View Post
    -Keep hold of Essence of Gossamer. It's still a nice trink. I use it if I'm dealing with packs of trash to take some bite out of hits
    -Monarch Crab.... the way you have it gemmed up... it'll be hard to beat with any trinket less than one of the frost emblem ones like Corroded Key. Keep it. Anyone who scoffs at it's low gear score... kindly point out to them that it's +114 stam, +34 def.... and has a cooldown that gives higher dodge than Ick's Rotting Thumb
    I don't think you understand trinkets very well. Neither of those trinkets is better than the Black Heart from H-ToC5 or Glyph of Indomitability(badges). Ideally, a +192 stamina trinket with the glyph is a great combination.


    OP: I like your current gear. To answer your threat question: The hit rating will come as you add ICC gear. To get the expertise up, use expertise to gloves. Then convert one of those orange gems to +hit. You'll need to be careful to upgrade systematically so you don't dip too low for expertise.

    You may want to consider dropping Glyph of Disease. With the threat modifier on Icy Touch, it is much better to refresh it manually than to use the glyph. Replace it with Glyph of Death Strike.


+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts