+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Buff System vs. The Nerf Bat System

The Buff System vs. The Nerf Bat System

With the 20% buff out I'm just wondering what people really think of it, I can't really say I'm a fan of any of these dramatic measures to make encounters easier. I mean going from 10% to 15% seemed to be the most dramatic so far allowing us to make short work of Hardmode Saurfang on our first night on him as well as Hardmode Deathwhisper, which was kind of a dissapointment.

Personally I would of prefered TBC simple scaling down of the bosses health. The dmg buff probably throws multiplier out of whack what with dots in such resulting in being able to chew through far more health then if they just reduced it and the health buff is a little outrageous, being able to eat a frost bomb from Sindragosa a mechanic meant to be dodged to stay alive is just kind of dumb.

BTW I feel that an encounter like Putrecide HM one of the best in ICC was reduced to such simplicity where you can basically look at the adds and kill them. The fact that none of the Hardmodes except LK dont require our undivided attention anymore is a serious shame

I haven't raided in a while but can't you click off the buff if you don't like it?

You can click it off. I think what I'd like to do is finally down the LK to learn the mechanics, then click it off and man up and do it as it was meant to be done.

lol last time I clicked it off I nearly got gkicked

You can click it off. I think what I'd like to do is finally down the LK to learn the mechanics, then click it off and man up and do it as it was meant to be done.
    Phase 1: Tank 'n' spank
    *transition* similar to Pandabear madness minute
    Phase 2: Defile/valkyr killin'!
    *transition* Pandabear madness minute!
    Phase 3: Abstract craziness.
    Phase 4: Profit.
    RNGesus - Saving you unreliably since BC.
    http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/v...ellvarsig3.jpg

You can turn the buff off but that counts raidwise and it can only be reactivated by the soft resets every morning.

Actually, just have everyone leave the instance and have the RL reset instances. That's what we do in PuGs since some jerk always feels the need to turn it off.
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 05-25-2010 at 02:12 PM.

I like the idea of giving a buff instead of a nerf. It just feels better to me. Why nerf the boss's have they all caught a cold? The buff could just be looked at as a reward. Plus you can always turn it off once you have seen the boss's. It would be nice if you could have an option of having the buff but at a % you have chosen.

There was a HUGE thread on this when the buff started. At least with the buff you have a choice, however illusory that may be for your guild. If they nerf encounters like they used to, no one gets a choice at all. If you don't like it, click it off. Otherwise, deal with it.

(And anyone who says "Well, it's not a choice, no one will click it off!" Get over yourself. You're really not that special. Trust us. There really are people who will click it off to try it w/o the buff. Choices are good.)

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    (And anyone who says "Well, it's not a choice, no one will click it off!" Get over yourself. You're really not that special. Trust us. There really are people who will click it off to try it w/o the buff. Choices are good.)
    Who are these people? I'd like to know. Unless your a guild leader you dont really have that option and if the GM does choose toil in the instance w/o the buff he's prolly gonna find a whole lot of raiders jumping ship.

The buff would be a lot better if it didn't kick on until new content was released. Guilds had to clear to a set "marker" boss to get "attuned" to the new content.

Ie, were gonna keep buffing your damage in Naxx until you can kill Sapphiron. At that point you can go to Ulduar.

But aren't their ginormous threads on this topic already?

Quote Originally Posted by Arikak View Post
    But aren't their ginormous threads on this topic already?
    Yes. And there will be another round of these threads 4 weeks from now with the 25% buff, and again 4 weeks after that when it hits the final 30%. It has all been said before, and it will all be said again - including what I am saying now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    Who are these people? I'd like to know. Unless your a guild leader you dont really have that option and if the GM does choose toil in the instance w/o the buff he's prolly gonna find a whole lot of raiders jumping ship.
    If we get to the point of downing the LK I do believe after a few runs our guild will definately try it. It's a way to make the instance more challenging and require you become even better at executing. I'm sure most high end guilds try running as far through ICC without the buff as they can weekly now.

For the casual guild - probably will never be turned off -but for those that want a challenge - it's nice.

being able to eat a frost bomb from Sindragosa a mechanic meant to be dodged to stay alive is just kind of dumb.
    This is one of the main things I dislike about it as well. My guild has a handful of players who are poor at moving and awareness, and with the buff they've become even more lazy. People are reckless as ever on fights like Sindragosa and every Frost bomb there's a half dozen people who get hit with every bomb.

Is is just me or is anyone else having Deja vu?
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTotem View Post
    You know you just called yourself an asshat, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bling581 View Post
    This is one of the main things I dislike about it as well. My guild has a handful of players who are poor at moving and awareness, and with the buff they've become even more lazy. People are reckless as ever on fights like Sindragosa and every Frost bomb there's a half dozen people who get hit with every bomb.
    I guess it comes down to which you dislike more.

Going through the turmoil of wiping again and again because those folks are poor at moving and awareness, or being able to heal through their mistakes so the overall group can be successful but be more sloppy?
    "What we need is a special blend of Psychology and extreme violence"

Quote Originally Posted by The Hoof View Post
    I guess it comes down to which you dislike more.

Going through the turmoil of wiping again and again because those folks are poor at moving and awareness, or being able to heal through their mistakes so the overall group can be successful but be more sloppy?
    I don't mind sloppy kills, that's how most of the early kills are and all. But generally those kills like a holy pally bubbling and hammer of executing Festergut then rezzing the entire raid should be incredibly lucky; once in a lifetime if you will (yes this has happened to my raid, it was pretty epic).

After that... you should tighten up. That's why I never liked the 'let them die' strategy for Saurfang. It was obviously the wrong way to beat him and yet it worked.

I guess what I'd like is that the buff doesn't mean you can always beat the boss 'the wrong way'. It's nice when you can squeeze out that little extra dps so that you beat an enrage timer, or get a little extra healing so that you can heal up Dreamwalker that first time, ect. And of course these encounters are tuned so that you should be able to beat them without the buff so there's always room for improvement.

Oh, I would like the buff to work on the gunship guns... that fight is just... boring...

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    Oh, I would like the buff to work on the gunship guns... that fight is just... boring...
    Gunship stopped being interesting as soon as the "I'M ON A BOAT!" jokes started getting old. The jet packs were fun to play around with the first few times, but the encounter just has no real challenge involved. It's like the chess event, just there to be free loot.

Quote Originally Posted by bling581 View Post
    This is one of the main things I dislike about it as well. My guild has a handful of players who are poor at moving and awareness, and with the buff they've become even more lazy. People atre reckless as ever on fights like Sindragosa and every Frost bomb there's a half dozen people who get hit with every bomb.
    I go through just about every Hardmode now with the amount of attention I would pay in Naxx 10...Sindragosa and LK are the only exceptions since one persons idiocy will cause a wipe. Really a shame these hardmodes aren't hard at all now, and most of them were trivial to begin with.

I fully understand Blizzard giving a crutch to people that are horrible...*cough* I mean too busy to raid 7 nights a week. But why add the buff to hardmodes, an option that was implemented to satisfy the e-peens of more serious raiders?

I fully understand Blizzard giving a crutch to people that are horrible...*cough* I mean too busy to raid 7 nights a week. But why add the buff to hardmodes, an option that was implemented to satisfy the e-peens of more serious raiders?
    Time invested is not related to playerskill as far as highend raiding is concerned and good players can get the job done in less time than your average player. Also most old-school raiders are no longer teenage boys living with their parents, so they want to spend their free time efficiently. All of which is not related to buff in any way, most raiders don't like it but you're not going to handicap your raid by disabling it and lose applications to slower PvE progression compared to rival guilds.
    Last edited by Crommi; 05-28-2010 at 04:14 AM.
    Crommi | Archaic Order | Lightning's Blade EU

+ Reply to Thread