+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you think of my UI

What do you think of my UI

Created this interace ussing many add ons but mainly X-Pearl, Skinner and BArtender. Loving a neat approach to interaces, what do you think?

http://yfrog.com/3mwowscrnshot043010062903j
    Last edited by GIbsh; 04-29-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Link for pic :)

I would highly recommend using a viewport in your UI since you have a section of it clearly blocked off there is no point in having the WorldFrame render behind it. For instance if you had nameplates turned on and a nameplate was behind your action bar, you couldn't click on it anyway cause the UI element of your action bar covers it up. You can use a viewport addon to adjust your WorldFrame so it does not render behind your UI elements.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I disagree only because i am not too keen on PVP and battlegrounds much prefer raids and dungeons and as im ranged dps i should be keeping targets in front of me all the time shouldnt i? got any addons your keen on? apart from the obvious.?

I don't believe you actually understand what a view port addon is and what it does. In the case of how your UI is designed, use of one would be ideal. A view port addon adjusts the dimensions of the WorldFrame object (the actual game world). By moving the bottom of the WorldFrame up, you would prevent it from rendering behind the parts of your UI you have segmented off in the bottom of your screen. When adjusting the WorldFrame's vertical axis, the vertical porportion is maintained (things look shorter if you shrink it). You still see all the same detail just slightly smaller. The horizontal axis on the other hand would be expanded by this, since the vertical porportion is maintained and you have it display in less space, you actually see more on the sides.

Try this. Download the addon Viewporter.
    http://www.wowace.com/addons/viewporter/
    Load up the game with the addon running.
    Type the command:
    Code:
    /km bottom 130
    Now the WorldFrame no longer extends behind that section of your UI, and you actually see more of your environment on the sides. If you don't like it you can always remove the addon however because you have a block of UI elements all the same height like you do it is generally advisable to use a view port. If you don't like the simple black background behind it, then I recommend you look into kgPanels and add custom panel artwork behind it instead having the WorldFrame render behind it.
    http://www.wowace.com/addons/kg-panels/

Also your comment about my UI is misinterpreted. Those action bars and elements on my UI are actually view ported off of the WorldFrame. I have other elements of the UI which still overlap the WorldFrame because of their functional purposes. If you look at the bottom of my UI you will see there is artwork behind things like the chat window, not actual WorldFrame play area. Because of the ViewPort, these less critical elements of the UI do not cover the actual play area of the screen. Look at your screen and see how your character is centered on it. Then look at my screen and you will see a difference, my character is actually off center, they are above center. That is because the WorldFrame doesn't extend behind the bottom of the UI.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

+ Reply to Thread