+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fury ARP

Fury ARP

So I am a main spec tank, and I play fury in raids when we're tank heavy. The thing is I got a little confused when I saw some decently geared warriors gemming ArP gems. From what I understood, Fury wanted more strength since they benefited from it more, and because they have low physical damage due to Titan's Grip. Am I wrong, and how?

To the best of my knowledge(with the exception of bleeds, typically) I imagine all of fury's attacks are physical and benefit from ArP. I believe it's a bit more difficult to get the ArP cap as fury because Arms gets the passive ArP bonus, I'm not certain if that's the main reason why it was thought that strength is much more a benefit to fury than ArP, however and I believe once you can get capped for ArP even as fury, it's the preferred way to go.
    Quality Over Quanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    I'm not certain if that's the main reason why it was thought that strength is much more a benefit to fury than ArP, however and I believe once you can get capped for ArP even as fury, it's the preferred way to go.
    Fury gets a 25% bonus to strength due to Improved Berserker Stance. Plus, armor penetration was a broken stat for a long time, and even after they fixed it it took a while for most people to get to a level of gear where it beats stacking strength, so it's pretty new for a lot of Fury players.

There are two ways to "cap" armor pen. "Hard capping" means that through your gear gems and raid buffs you end up with 1399 armor pen, difficult to do without ICC level gear. The second and "easier" way is to "soft cap", meaning that you hit 1399 armor pen if you have a trinket that procs armor pen such as the Needle Encrusted Scorpion (http://www.wowhead.com/item=50198) from FoS, which procs 678 armor pen. If you have that trinket you only need 1399(cap) - 678 (trinket proc) = 721 armor pen from gear and gems to soft cap.

Hard capping armor pen is obviously better, but can be difficult without the right gear. Usually that means the deathbringer's will trinket from saurfang 25, but it is possible to get there without it.

After you're hard or soft capped from gear/gems, you're better off gemming strength.

akeber is correct. you want to get to the ArP cap in one for or another.

ArP works pretty much the same way STR does. Strength increases the damage of your melee attacks, but those melee attacks are still mitigated by armor. ArP increases the strength of your melee attacks by going through armor.

Alright, thanks all.

EDIT: So I got more ArP gems - I'm getting there, yet I noticed my dps actually dipped a bit. Is this because I am not ArP capped, or is strength actually better?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostglaive View Post
    EDIT: So I got more ArP gems - I'm getting there, yet I noticed my dps actually dipped a bit. Is this because I am not ArP capped, or is strength actually better?
    You only should gem ArP if you can reach soft or hard cap otherwise strenght is better i think.

If you don't have the gear to hardcap, then ArP isn't as good as a stat for you then say soft capping with an ArP trinket and then stacking strength gems and +10str/crit in yellows. If you're able to reach 70-80% passive without a trinket, then stack ArP.

If you can't reach 722 ArP (if you have Needle Encrusted Scorpion), then STR is better.

Ah, so many misconceptions and oversimplifications. There is no absolute rule of thumb to go by when determining which is better, the values of stats are all far too interdependent. The ultimate goal is to hardcap, and softcapping is an ideal setup when you are not yet capable of hardcapping; however, there is a rather large middle ground between the two in which the ideal solution can end up being gemming for ArP without using a trinket despite falling a ways short of the hardcap. Get landsouls spreadsheet, learn to use it, play with it, find the ideal setup that uses gear you have.

Also, when hardcapping, remember that even on the extremes, the SEP of ArP does not end up being too much greater than one. Unless that last ArP gem to hit the cap is not going to take you more than about 5-6 above it, you will tend to get better results switching to strength gems one early and undercapping.

also things to think about is that moves such as bleed effects work on pure weapon damage so therefore higher str gives higher wep damage resulting in higher bleed damage which i believe ignores armor values, am i wrong?

+ Reply to Thread