+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tanks needs advice

ready for voa and toc?

Hi all i posted yesterday but was in wrong gear. here I am http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...n=Massacrejons. I went into HHoR and it was fail group dont know if it was me or healer or cause everyone wanted to stand in the fire. I want to start raiding and I dont think i am ready gear wise maybe a little advise on what is needed. I am gonna get new boots tonight no idea about my alch trinket. help with enchants and what I am able to raid would like to tank totc and voa as soon as possible.
    Last edited by massacrejons; 04-28-2010 at 09:48 AM.

don't take it wrong a lot of people can't get H HoR done. But being a pally it can be a lot easier. pallys get two abilitys which are like CC for Undead mobs. I think one is like a fear and another one is like a shackle or something that keeps them there and they cant attack.

I was running with a pally dps and he and the priest healer did some insane CC so we could burn the first room easily. There might be some videos of pallys doing it a good google search might help you.

You don't have your hands gemed either =/
    But work towards getting at least a full 232 set with 245 badge helm and shoulders.

right now I wouldn't say your raid ready..Maybe if you were with a good group maybe lower difficulty raids like OS, naxx, and raids like that.

ok i have the 245 helm and the 232 shoulders is the set bonus not worth it on the t9? i dont know where 232 trinkets drop either i can get the rest i know where they are. also where is a better shield i have the best i can find on the armory and i just replaced the crafted one with that one.

yeah you can get the 232 set bonus threw getting 232 legs,hands,chest and thats pretty much having the 245 helm and shoulders should be great.

You can get a 232 trinket from Ick in PoS. I got my other from ToC 10 but i'm not sure if you are ready, If someone thinks you can that is running one agree and just see But its a 50-50%

You can get a 219 shield from Normal Halls Of Reflection other then that you can get one from EoE10, ToC 10-25 and more.

Some people keep the 200 black heart for the stam. I would run Heroic PoS for the 232 and replace your blue with that. some say keep the black heart untilyou get the frost 264 trinket which gives 200+ stam. And they say still keep the black heart, But just depends on what your running sometimes they need stam more then dodge and parry.

my shield is from normal HoR and the trinket from ick is dodge and on use more life which is technically better then my alch trinket even though i can heal myself for 5k or instant 50% of mana was just questioning the weight of benefits. and my chest is statistically better then the t9 but i could still get the 245 shoulders and have the set bonues still. all I need is the pants and I was plannin on gettin those with emblems tonight as well to finish it off.

armory says you have the 200 royal crest.

I didn't see you had the 232 chest my bad :P

oh ur right i will get the shield tonight as well

Good luck and if you have anymore questions post here or PM me

alright i will once i replace a couple more pieces i will be back for a second review thanks for the advice

No problem, Anytime

Here is some light reading

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...t-Tanking-Gear

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Tanking-Guide

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...sked-questions

I know you are a pally, but there will be a lot of good info in the Warrior guide. It will be worth your time to read it.

In the gear you are wearing you will be fully capable of tanking ToC 10 and 25. Over half your gear is a side-grade from items that drop in ToC 10. Keep in mind that when ToC was progression tanks where in naxx/ulduar gear. I think it will be much easier for you to go in a guild run or with friends than in a pug.

I'm not sure ick's rotting thumb is the best choice for you to upgrade your alchemists stone to. I think the essence of gossimer or the glyph of indomibility are better choices and are probably easier to get.

Take a look at your gem/enchants. Most of your gear isn't enchanted and that should be covered in the Prot War guide and they should be the same for pallies. Also at this point the typical advice is to gem for effective health, which means stacking stamina and armor whenever possible. In your helm I would swap out the int/stam gem for something that adds survivability stats even if it is avoidance (such as def/stam).

I'm sorry I don't know more about how pallies would glyph/spec, but if you look around here or at some of the pally tanks in raiding guilds on your server you will probably get a good idea of how they are doing it. I also believe there is at least one blog dedicated to main tanking as a pally.

Keep practicing, that will be the best thing for you. As you learn more about tanking, you will find out what key bindings work for you and where to position your camera, how to turn mobs, what macros to use, etc... Having the correct gear/gems/enchants is only a small part of the equation.

i would switch out your glyphs Glyph of devine plea is a must have for prot pallys. glyph of seal of veng/coruption is a easy 10 expertise. glyph of hammer of right or the one that hits 1 more target is really nice for 5 mans and trash.

also get the minor glyphs they help. like glyph of sence undeadand, glyph or lay on hands
    Last edited by skinard; 04-28-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: dident have enough info

oh and in your spec you should try out guarded by the light it will help out alot in harder hitting instances.

Hi there, i just took a few seconds to check out your gear. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be abel to start tanking some VOA/ULD/TOC 10 raids. I would be willing to accept the off tank role, but it is an excelent way to gain some gear. Let me ask you, how long have you been tanking? Have you done it before on other toons? I ask becuase i think experience is an even more improtant than gear for tanks. Right now dps are AOE happy and are not used to waiting... so this can make it much more difficult on beginning tanks. Cataclysm should make this better as we get away from the AOE fest that has been WotLK.

Your Glyphs are not helping you as much as they could be. Get rid of glyph of concecration and glyph of judgment for sure. I recommend you get Glyph of Seal of Vengeance, Glyph of Divine Plea, Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous, Glyph of Sense Undead(minor).

In terms of HHOR, that instants require a ton of patients on the part of your healers and dps as well as yourself, use lots of LOS to gather the mobs. Drop concecrations at the points where mobs will run through them. I use Seal of Vengance to help stack dots on mobs and i tab target through them to make sure everyone gets marked up as fast as possible. If you can get them gathered the holy wrath is your best friend, hits all undead mobs within 10yrds. Something else that can hel is to give your DPS a kill order or kill mark (say the skull) and ask them to single target it.

I would not under any circumstances use Turn Undead as a tank. It causes more problems than it will solve, just tank them. Shackle, which unforgivin mentioned, is a priest ability (not a pally) but is hugely helpful in HHOR. A DK is also helpful to have as they can pull mobs from accross the room to you.

Hope that helps if it is confusing at all feel free to reply and i will be more than happy to try to stear you in the right direction.
    JF

make sure if u are going to use glyph of devine plea u will need to alter your spec for guarded by the light

skinard is right, you want guarded by the light 2/2.

divine sacrfice is good in some situations but useley in a OT situation. u could move those points to GbtL easy. Or unless they changed reckniong and i dident notice u could take the points from that

yeh i screwed up and meant to get the guarded by the light talent but was so used to reckoning. I have tanked before i was the ot in bc for guild and occassionaly mted kara and gruul. thanks for the advice i am glad to know that i can do it which i thought. i think the hhor was prolly people standing in the aoe dmg the casters lay down and healer could not heal through it cause everyone stayed in the corner. i have been wonderin about the glyphs and I will try them out tonight. I will reply tomorrow as I am gonna attempt to ot totc tonight thanks to your guys help I will post tomorrow with the results and maybe some advice about my changes and what is better.

+ Reply to Thread