+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior Tanking Ranged Mobs

Warrior Tanking Ranged Mobs

Hi guys, I was hoping someone could give me some tips on tanking ranged mobs. A couple examples of pulls I have trouble with are the Whelp pulls in the first part of the Oculus, there you have about 5 small whelps who nail you with an arcane missle type spell, and also a couple elite mobs. Another example is the Forge of Souls, you have a few pulls where there are 4 warlock type mobs and one ghost type melee mob in the center.
    All would be fine if random puggers were kind enough to let me aggro all the mobs before they start dps, but this is hardly ever the case. The best I can seem to do is charge in, position myself so that my thunder clap hits the most mobs, intercept to the mob I've missed, devastate or shield slam it, run back to the other mobs, who by this time have allready been losing aggro because DPS cannot wait 3 seconds.

Heroic throw and shield bash (if talented) silence the mobs, thus making them follow you if hit. With groups of 3 casters of more I usually charge in shield bash, run to the other mob, thunderclap and then pick the loose one with heroic throw (very high threat ability as well). Also shockwave and conc blow keeps them in the place you want them to be for a few sec. If the ranged mob is a huntard of some sort use disarm instead of bash or heroic throw.

On my warrior what I do with multiple casters is, Heroic Throw on one of them, then charge and shield bash another, then intercept the next one if there is a third and let them all round up on the third and tank it from there.

The whelps on the oculus should be easily burnt down by the DPS, they are just normal non-elite mobs and aren't too important to tank.

DPS should also be able to help you, almost every class has a silence of some sort, and DK's can deathgrip a caster into you if you are comfortable with it and taunt it off at the right time.

EDIT:

Djangor beat me to posting xD sorry for the repeat of info.

Quote Originally Posted by maintainanceday View Post
    Hi guys, I was hoping someone could give me some tips on tanking ranged mobs. A couple examples of pulls I have trouble with are the Whelp pulls in the first part of the Oculus, there you have about 5 small whelps who nail you with an arcane missle type spell, and also a couple elite mobs. Another example is the Forge of Souls, you have a few pulls where there are 4 warlock type mobs and one ghost type melee mob in the center.
    All would be fine if random puggers were kind enough to let me aggro all the mobs before they start dps, but this is hardly ever the case. The best I can seem to do is charge in, position myself so that my thunder clap hits the most mobs, intercept to the mob I've missed, devastate or shield slam it, run back to the other mobs, who by this time have allready been losing aggro because DPS cannot wait 3 seconds.
    When you charge in, hit spell reflect immediately. They all start casting at once and you will get a great reflect off. Then move so you are in range of as many as possible and tclap. Move again to hit different mobs with shockwave. Or just let the ret or rogue tank them...you only get 10% more damage reduction because most of the attacks are spell.
    Last edited by Dreadski; 04-27-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: typo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread