+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wrathful pvp shield for tanking - losing the def cap but gaining resilence?

Wrathful pvp shield for tanking - losing the def cap but gaining resilence?

After checking both stats, I decided to go with the shield wall, I like the stamina and armor on it.

With neverending winter, I am at 543 Defense
    If id use the pvp shield, I'd be at like 533 Defense.... but with the resilence on it, will I still be uncrittable?

Thanks

Resilience does indeed mitigate crits. I don't know if 533 will be enough, but it should be.

Yes you will be uncrittable. You lose a pretty noticeable amount of avoidance and strength but gain 60stam/600armor so I guess it's a good tradeoff.

is there any way to calculate if I will be uncritable or not? And as low as how much I can drop in defense?

533 is fine. You can drop down to 536 with just the 15 resil 30 stam shoulder enchant. The way to calculate is by mousing over the stats in your character sheet. Mouse over defense and see how much crit reduction it grants, then do the same for resilience. Does it add up to 5.6% or more? If so, you're fine. If not, switch things around. I'm betting you're fine. That's the best shield in the game next the heroic Icecrown Glacial Wall, I'd get it if you can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I've been using the wrathful shield for over 2 months now. Definitely uncrittable as low as 522 defense. Like Dreador said, just add up your crit reduction chance from resil with your crit reduction chance from defense >=5.6% = golden for pve.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I just want to throw one small thing into the discussion (I'm using the pvp shield too, but i'm still above 540 defense). If you fall below 540 (or 535 for heroics) defense you will not be crit due to the resiliance but you can be dazed again if struck from behind. While it's not a big deal for raids where you shouldn't be hit in the back anyway, it's really annoying when speed clearing heroics.
    Just keep something in your inventory to switch in when you are doing your daily heroic and you will be fine.

ah the cannot be dazed due to high defense thing. I don't remember this since doing dailies in Terrokar (damned bird things knocking me off my mount!). Added benefit of 540 defense =P

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Would using the pvp shield be better than the glacial wall? 50 stam and 200 armor over a lot of avoidance/block.

Can't get the damn heroic to drop and I'm killing for an upgrade.

I do believe the Heroic Glacial Wall is the only thing better than the Wrathful shield, but it's a tight comparison. The Normal mode version is not as good as Wrathful or as good as the Heroic Neverending Winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread