+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holy priest - am I doing this right?

Holy priest - am I doing this right?

Hi everybody - long time reader, first time poster.

I'm a holy priest on the Hyjal-US server. Here is my armory link:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...l&cn=Tsojcanth

I'm part of a guild that has cleared 11/12 in ICC-10 (normal mode). I'm getting a bit bumbed since I am always at the bottom of the hps chart (well, at least amongst the three healers). Our other two healers are similarly geared (with respect to gearscore) resto shammy and holy paladin. I'm starting to wonder if its my gear/gem/enchant selection, or more my situational healing choices. Or maybe I'm just not destined to top the charts as a Holy Priest.

My normal "rotation" is start off with a PoM, renew the tanks, then CoH, PoH, FH as required. Keep up PoM 100% of the time.

I can "win" heavy constant AOE-type fights (Twin Valkys), but other fights I fall short.

Am I gemming right? Speccing right? Got priorities right? Complaining for nothing?

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks all,

Clive

You don't have 4 piece T10 get it, the bonus is worth it. Haste is great but I wouldn't gem it. Other than that You are probably fine meters don't matter and holy priest are on bottom some fights on top others.

With your healing comp, you're going to have a hard time topping meters on anything but heavy AEO tick fights, like twin valks, festergut when the blight is filling the room, bql, sindragosa etc. Your best bet on fights like that is to renew spam, keeping PoM and CoH on CD, let the shammy spot heal.

You say you're keeping up PoM 100%, but are you recasting it on a tank or other target that's taking immediate damage on CD? Or are you letting it sit finish out it's bounces on its own? Personally, as long as I can spare the GCD, I recast it as soon as the CD is up, whether or not all the charges have been used up. PoM generally makes up 25-30% of my healing in a 10 or 25 man setting.

Haste is great for a holy priest, and you're short on it. You're looking for about 800-850 haste, and more isn't bad.

The real issue is that ICC 10 normal mode was mostly a 2 heal zone even before the buffs started stacking. So if your you are rolling with a decent holy paladin and a decent resto shaman then one of you is just going to be overkill. I would get myself a shadow spec so that on fights like Marrowgar LDW Gunship Saurafang Fester Princes where if you have 2 good healers you should be fine you can play shadow and add some dps. Holy paladin/resto shaman is a pretty solid 2 healing setup for a good portion of fights. Aside from that all I would say is keep on working at it. Once you get used to mechanics and where damage is coming from you should be able to keep up with the two of them and on fights like fester blood queen sindragosa LK(go disc for this one) you should be able to slaughter them due to the huge amount of incoming raid damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    With your healing comp, you're going to have a hard time topping meters on anything but heavy AEO tick fights, like twin valks, festergut when the blight is filling the room, bql, sindragosa etc. Your best bet on fights like that is to renew spam, keeping PoM and CoH on CD, let the shammy spot heal.

You say you're keeping up PoM 100%, but are you recasting it on a tank or other target that's taking immediate damage on CD? Or are you letting it sit finish out it's bounces on its own? Personally, as long as I can spare the GCD, I recast it as soon as the CD is up, whether or not all the charges have been used up. PoM generally makes up 25-30% of my healing in a 10 or 25 man setting.

Haste is great for a holy priest, and you're short on it. You're looking for about 800-850 haste, and more isn't bad.
    Thanks for the advice. I tried to boost my haste by gemming for sp/haste, I don't see anything much I can do outside of this. Don't know how I'm gonna get 300 haste apart from upgrading my gear. I'm worried about destroying my spellpower if I gem totally for haste.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you made the wrong choice on your badge chest, should have taken the one without spirit and with haste. That would have been a 108 haste right there. I wouldn't worry about the spellpower loss from gemming more haste. The 10% buff is already a huge boost to the heals you're putting out, what you want to do is get more out in a smaller window of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    I know you don't want to hear this, but you made the wrong choice on your badge chest, should have taken the one without spirit and with haste. That would have been a 108 haste right there. I wouldn't worry about the spellpower loss from gemming more haste. The 10% buff is already a huge boost to the heals you're putting out, what you want to do is get more out in a smaller window of time.
    Haha. Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I really dont like to hear it but it is what it is. Guess I'm saving up another 90 badges. Sigh.

I could always re-equip my Merlin's Robe while waiting to save up the 95 badges .

First off...

I'm just waiting for this thread to be punted to the HALP forum. See that big yellowy-beige bar at the top that says "BEFORE YOU POST.." and links you to this post http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...BEFORE-POSTING ?

Charts are meaningless. You "Win" if nobody dies. If pass/fail is too binary, and you want a grade ("I got a B+"!) then you are more suited to DPS. All charts can tell you is if somebody is under performing, which only comes into play if you aren't clearing things and healing has been identified as an issue. It is important to embrace this concept.

I don't see anything wrong with your gemming or enchanting (I didn't look at your Disc spec). Some people prefer Darkglow embroidery over Lightweave, but I wouldn't quibble over the differences (Darkglow will help slightly with mana issues). You have gone with SP as your prime stat, but if you find you are just overhealing alot with no increase in performance, that is when you start changing SP for other stats (but I agree with the previous poster, you just have one too many healers). If all of your heals is overheals, or if you end up finishing the fight with a full mana bar while the other healers are empty, those are also signs you are the extra unneeded healer.

For spec, you have pretty much forgone all single target utility by skipping every GHeal talent. Granted, If you are using GHeal as a holy priest you are already behind, but no point in totally killing yourself in that department.

Beyond that, it looks like you should be moving to ICC25.

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post
    First off...

I'm just waiting for this thread to be punted to the HALP forum. See that big yellowy-beige bar at the top that says "BEFORE YOU POST.." and links you to this post http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...BEFORE-POSTING ?

Charts are meaningless. You "Win" if nobody dies. If pass/fail is too binary, and you want a grade ("I got a B+"!) then you are more suited to DPS. All charts can tell you is if somebody is under performing, which only comes into play if you aren't clearing things and healing has been identified as an issue. It is important to embrace this concept.

I don't see anything wrong with your gemming or enchanting (I didn't look at your Disc spec). Some people prefer Darkglow embroidery over Lightweave, but I wouldn't quibble over the differences (Darkglow will help slightly with mana issues). You have gone with SP as your prime stat, but if you find you are just overhealing alot with no increase in performance, that is when you start changing SP for other stats (but I agree with the previous poster, you just have one too many healers). If all of your heals is overheals, or if you end up finishing the fight with a full mana bar while the other healers are empty, those are also signs you are the extra unneeded healer.

For spec, you have pretty much forgone all single target utility by skipping every GHeal talent. Granted, If you are using GHeal as a holy priest you are already behind, but no point in totally killing yourself in that department.

Beyond that, it looks like you should be moving to ICC25.
    Thanks for your advice. I didn't mean to turn this into a "look at my gems/spec/gear and halp me" thread. I was interested whether (a) should my expectations be to top the meters or be more competitive in hps?; and (b) whether my rotation was optimal or consistent with what other holy priests are doing.

Cheers.

all I can say is your haste is very low...get 4 set your close enough to it though may want to experiment with 2 part t9 (ilevel 245 set) you can work out what parts would be good for you from http://bobturkey.wordpress.com/2010/...-list-for-3-3/ I don't quite rank stuff like he does but his rankings seem fairish.

+ Reply to Thread