+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help on a Blood DK (DPS)

Need help on a Blood DK (DPS)

Hello, I am the raidleader of our little guild and I got a problem with our DK, he is in my eyes completly underperforming, personnaly I don't know a lot about dk's (I know what I need to for the raids but that's about it).

So here is the link to his armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Gw%C3%ABndal

And here a link to last night's log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...um/damageDone/ As you can see he is even under me (Ryoku = tank) in terms of damage done.

Any help concernaning what he is doing wrong would be greatly apreciated.

I told him to check out Unholy since apparently since 3.3 it would yield the best results in terms of DPS, he did but he told me that his DPS would decrease (wierd enough).

Thanx a lot

Blood is not a very effective DPS talent tree. Unholy with a two handed weapon is ideally the way to go once you have learned the rotation and geared for it accordingly, as well as built the proper talent tree. In my mind Blood is the worst of the 3 talent trees for DPS raiders, but it's great for leveling. Unholy or Frost are better specs, but most of the top raiding DK's in the world are Unholy if they DPS.

His gear stats alone tell me that there are a lot of problems. Not being hit capped, having absolutely squat all for crit rating and just gemming straight up strength is not going to cut it first of all. The fact that he is gemming for expertise when he only needs 26 expertise rating and is at 56 also tells me he has no idea how to play his character, not to mention his trinkets are garbage because Armor Pen is not that effective for Death Knights and he shouldn't be stacking so much of it. His DPS might also be horribly low because he is using the wrong rotation, doesn't have a 4 piece T9 or a 2 piece T10. Enchants need work, shouldn't have expertise on bracers when he is so far over expertise cap, should have 40 AP or something. Not to mention he needs to either max his professions or dump them for JC and Mining. So yeah, not being hit capped, way over expertise cap and having the wrong glyphs for his spec are just a few problems. If he is going to raid as blood, he needs to drop talents that are spent in the Unholy tree and put them into Improved Rune Tap, Mark of Blood, Runic Power Mastery and some other talents. Virulence is a PvP talent too, he should not be specced into that for a raiding spec.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 04-26-2010 at 06:57 AM.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

Ok cool thanxs a lot will pass the message on if you have more stuff please let me know

His glyphs are fine

Gemming: Try to match +str bonuses unless it involves a blue socket. use str/crit or str/hit gems in yellow sockets depending on cap or not. use a nightmare tear for the 21agi meta as it is better then the meta he is currently using.

Apen is a important stat for blood DKs as most of their dmg is physical.

As blood is a very gear dependent spec, it would be better if he did go unholy, if not unholy then frost. Frost has a very similar rotation to blood.

Tell your DK to take out 1 point in morbidity and put it into blood-caked blade, take out that one point in rune tap and put it in imp blood presence or for raid utility Mark of blood.

The reason why his dmg is so low is that Blood as most melee need physical debuffs to perform extrodinary well. Having no sunders/faire fire, is going to hamper his dps.

He also forgets to cast dancing rune weapon a lot of times. in the logs it shows that he casts it only when hysteria is up. He should be casting it every 1.5minutes

Looking at his gear, it doesn't even seem like he's trying. lol

Why use glyphs for Unholy abilities that are not in the Blood rotation, nor are they improved due to using the Blood talent tree.

And here is what EJ's have to say about Blood DPS http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t61176-b...ay_music_died/

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

The main thing i see is as jiyoon says the gems need to be changed to drop his exp back down to 26. And while the first reply was dead wrong about armor pen your friend would be alot better going with unholy. The rotation is as simple as blood unlike frost which has no rotation but a priority. His glyphs are fine but blood is similar to a fury warrior where it is very gear dependant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Why use glyphs for Unholy abilities that are not in the Blood rotation, nor are they improved due to using the Blood talent tree.

And here is what EJ's have to say about Blood DPS http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t61176-b...ay_music_died/
    I think you were looking at his unholy spec. As the guy has two specs and was blood and one was unholy.

And to quote EJ when you even haven't read the thread besides the title is a bad thing to do.

All 3 dps specs of DK's use armor pen, always ranking in the top 3 on stat priorities.

Actually blood and frost are both priority. Both are very gcd constraint, and while not exactly a rotation, they both have somewhat of a rotation(contradicting i know).

After Your DK drops his expertise gems/enchants he's still going to have a lot of expertise, that is okay. Slowly while he improves his gear, he will be losing a lot of it.
    Last edited by jiyoon; 04-27-2010 at 04:28 PM.

ok thanks for taking the time, I passed on the message concerning his hit rating and his expertise, furthermore I told him abour using his unholy spec. He was trying to work on it on a dummy but said he couln't get passed 4,5k dps. The problem is he doesn't speak englis so I can't even send him here to ask questions and read the guides. I told him about an unholy guid on millenium (very well known french site). I really hope he will improve, we are getting close to the LK and otherwise I will not be able to take him along.

thanks again and if there is anything else, please let me know.

Iwrote this in another post but it works well here to.

Ok first I would like to say testing you DPS on a test dummy will NEVER give you a proper read, so spells and effect will not work on the dummy. This means we will alway see the wrong numbers. The only true way to test your DPS is in a 10 or 25 man raid on a boss with proper buffs.

That being said you I would use the reaping-less spec for your single traget. I use this spec on S­nny.

You are using the proper rotation for the reaping-less spec and I would still use it. I use

Code:
    PS, IT, BS, SS, BS, Gargoyle, DC, (DC), SS, BS, SS, BS, DC (burn), HoW
    You will see I have the Gargoyle in this rotation. I use it every chance I get and do not wait for buffs. This is because the DK dps rotation is so tight you just may not have the time to wait for the right buffs to stack. Also popping it at the start and at the end of a fight is for the most part better then popping it one time buffed.

Now you will not max out your DPS if you do not use the proper Professions or Macros. I would if you can try and level up Jewcrafting or Engineering to replace your mining. Here are some macros I like to use:

The following are only for people with Engineering:
    Army of the Dead

Code:
    #showtooltip Army of the Dead
    /use Potion of Speed
    /use 10
    /cast Army of the Dead
    This will pop AotD with both the haste buff of Hyperspeed Accelerators and Potion of speed. Unbuffed this puts my haste rating at 888. I put /use 10 to proc the Hyperspeed Accelerators. Make sure you have your AotD before the fight because you can only use Potion of Speed on time in combat. If you use the Potion of Speed before combat you will be able to use it again with your Gargoyle.

Death Coil

Code:
    #showtooltip Death Coil
    /use 10
    /cast Death Coil
    This will proc the Hyperspeed Accelerators when ever you use Death Coil. Remember that Hyperspeed Accelerators has a one min CD but it is off the GCD. I macro this to Death Coil because it is the best spell to effect your rune CD the least so that your rotation does not get messed up.

Blood Boil

Code:
    #showtooltip Blood Boil
    /cast Blood Boil
    /use Global Thermal Sapper Charge
    This will proc Global Thermal Sapper Charge at the same time as Blood Boil. You will need to make sure you are not low in health when doing this as you will take 2188 to 2812 DAMAGE.

Other macros

Quick Respec

Code:
    /script PetDismiss(); 
    /usetalents [spec:1] 2; 1
    Bone Shield

Code:
    #showtooltip Bone Shield 
    /cast Blood Tap
    /cast Bone Shield
    /cancelaura Blood Tap
    Summon Gargoyle

Code:
    #showtooltip Summon Gargoyle
    /use Potion of Speed
    /cast Empower Rune Weapon
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /cast [target=Player Name] Summon Gargoyle
    I also made a video a while back if that would help you any.

Video
    Streaming - http://vimeo.com/10517226 (Best to watch it in full screen)

I hope this helps you become a better Death Knight.

+ Reply to Thread