+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to do better dps as a warrior tank?

How to do better dps as a warrior tank?

Want to maximalize my dps in a raid as a prot warrior tank(dw build). For the moment i try to find the best rotation for this and it is hard fo me to choose what abilities to use(usually it is dev+heroic combo + ss every time when not on cd). Best result for me now is about 4400dps on blood queen 25hm(i was offtank here and not a vampire). Any suggestions/ideas abou how we can do better dps in icc(hm)?
    p.s. I'm try to be as close as possible on dps with prot paladin/feral druid but they do better =(
    p.p.s. Just trying to do as much as i can to improve my effectiveness for whole raid(and dps is the point as i think).

If you're doing 25man icc heroics, then I assume you know the basics of your class. I'm not sure what else to tell you besides keep a solid rotation and swap in pieces of dps gear.

Pushing dps as a tank is great as long as you're not hurting the raid more than helping it. I've seen logs where warriors go to extremes just to push their dps/tps and do things like not swap stances to shatter the boss, get bitten early on bql, ask for hysteria, etc. If it's just for fun on an easy boss, then I guess some of those things are ok, but I've seen stuff like that in logs of limited attempt bosses and that's just selfish.
    Last edited by Dragaan; 04-26-2010 at 03:31 AM.

Shield Slam and revenge when ever available. Can throw in Shockwave for some added DPS whenever it is available, even on single target fights. Keep Heroic Strike queued at all times. Dev is used as a filler.
    Addon Author: What's Next? - AllPlates - Sudoku - Death Clock - Super Loot

About gear - i use only tanking gear all the way, but swap some of this to get hit to 8% and exp to soft cap(26+ skill). My question exclude dps gear/battle stance and hysteria - i try to do more in full prot/ehp gear(with mix of tps stats on it). In my curret tps gear i have about right 8% hit and 32(36 with food) exp skill on cost of 1.5k armor(t10.264 leggins vs pillars) and some hp (facelitter normal vs last wish normal). Also using broken ram skull helmet in this set(4t10 with helm) and swap wepon to facelitter.
    Rotation like Revenge(if usable)>SS(every cd)>SW(every cd)>Heroic and Dev only if enought rage?

See sig, get the most DPS out of your abilities as long as you don't mess up threat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Concerned about the purpose of the thread. You asked about ways to increase dps in HM ICC, is your raid hitting enrages? If so, yes, tank DPS is good to increase but overall the DPS classes should be the ones taking ownership.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I agree with Dreador.. it's great to try to help the raid by adding in more DPS, but your job is to tank and hold threat. If you get too focused on DPS'ing then you might fail at your job. DPS needs to learn to carry themselves if you are hitting enraged timers, you can't do the entire raids job.

But if you are just wanting to increase DPS for the fun of it.. revenge is amazing for it and if you were OT'ing on BQ then you didn't get to use it at all. If we're talking boss fights only then I would throw in a shockwave when revenge/SS is on cooldown and spamming heroic strike (unless your rage gets low). Sometimes I will throw in a concussive blow for damage.

While I agree that tank dps doesn't isn't super important to the raid unless you're really really close on an enrage timer, I disagree that tanks shouldn't be (very) focused on pushing dps while tanking. Your main purpose may be to hold threat and soak damage etc, but dps is dps no matter who it comes from, and it's always nice to push out the absolute max dps at all times while doing your other jobs. Even tho my guild has no issues on fights like festergut, I would feel as if I'm slacking if I didn't do things like swap in my slow 1hander w/ zerking while I'm not currently tanking him.

Crick: Concussion blow isn't a top damage ability anymore since they nerfed it by 50% a few patches ago. You're better off using devastate.
    Last edited by Dragaan; 04-26-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragaan View Post
    While I agree that tank dps doesn't isn't super important to the raid unless you're really really close on an enrage timer, I disagree that tanks shouldn't be (very) focused on pushing dps while tanking. Your main purpose may be to hold threat and soak damage etc, but dps is dps no matter who it comes from, and it's always nice to push out the absolute max dps at all times while doing your other jobs. Even tho my guild has no issues on fights like festergut, I would feel as if I'm slacking if I didn't do things like swap in my slow 1hander w/ zerking while I'm not currently tanking him.

Crick: Concussion blow isn't a top damage ability anymore since they nerfed it by 50% a few patches ago. You're better off using devastate.
    That's what i'm talking about. No, we didn't hit enrage, and i can do 2k dps, and it still be ok for the fight - but i just want to do as max as i can. Seems like ss/revenge/heroic+sw is the best way to go. Will try different ways on next cd and post results(mb with logs if they'll be open for watching).

Assuming atleast Heroic level gear:

For max DPS:
    Revenge > Shield Slam (SB up) > Shockwave > waiting ~0.5s for Revenge > Shield Slam > Devastate

For max TPS:
    Mocking Blow (doubel glyphed) > Shield Slam (SB) > Mocking Blow (GoBarbaric Insults) > Shield Slam > Revenge > Heroic Throw > Shockwave > Devastate

with waiting for Revenge I mean waiting out the CD for that fraction of a second extra. Note that the worse your connection, the less time you actually lose waiting and the more DPS gain it is over Devastate. The rest should be self-explanatory
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I found the best way to increase raid DPS is by tanking in a predicatble manner and move as little as possible.
    Don't zig when your rogues expect you to zag.

I'm prone to jump-Shockwave on trash so you can guess I'm a highly mobile tank who is constantyl repositioning mobs. I stopped doing that, even for Val trash, which is a great opportunity to show off. Don't do that, you are costing massive raid DPS by confusing your melee.

I wouldn't worry too much about my tank DPS. With some effort you might squeeze out another 1k DPS(which I doubt), but your DPS can squeeze out so much more if you create a good facepunching environment for them.

You COULD experiment with a slow weapon. Depending on rage/fight the higer Dev hits might offset the loss in HS. In high cleave situations I like to swap in my 2.6 DPS axe. But that's only useful if I don't have the rage to have cleave queued up all the time. On bosses raid assignments and steady tanking have a higher impact on raid DPS. Take Festergut for instance. If you keep your healers on the outside and your DPS on the inside, you will gain quite a bit of raid DPS because you don't force half your DPSers to chase after spores.

If you want to increase your own DPS for bragging then I'm afraid I can't help you with that. I never even wasted a thought on that. If you get high parry/dodge from bosses, then perhaps you could socket exp into those red slots and eat exp food? Never miss an SS or a Revenge. Keep HS up. But I doubt you will get a huge increase.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

>WarTotem
    >Mael
    Thanks for your advice. It's very nice idea about moving, i'll try to use it for raid dps increase(and my own also). Rotation seems to be clear - all to do is to test it all on clear fight.
    My question about dps appear when i saw difference about my dps and paladin/druid tanks - i can't live with that and just wan't to be as close as possible =)

Ah, yes, well, those do more damage than you. But you's got all da stylez, man!

I don't use DPS to remind everybody I'm awesome. I do so by lobbing grenades, Intervening and zipping right across the battlefield like a bat outa you-know-where.
    If you take a good long look at the def warriors toolkit and compare it to everybody elses, then you can see why we haven't been exactly showered with DPS. My theory is, that the shower on paladins has reulted in golden DPS in ICC. All the undead and whatnot.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

You can do decent dps as a tank in like OT situations but you're never going to pull sexy numbers -- its kinda like getting milk from a bull. Swapping some gear around certainly helps and you can tweak some things in your spec. I normally focus on things that I can do to help the raid by keeping up every shout and debuff I can and moving vig around.
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

+ Reply to Thread