+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with dk tank

Help with dk tank

ok well i use to have a dk called bloodmore. i got hacked by gold farmer now its a perma locked account i finally got back up to a new dk and well yea here it is im makeing one now and im asking for advice on how to tnak with them builds how to keep argo? and all that good stuff so if got anything for me post it please and thank you !

In case you would like the short version of a Frost DK tanking guide…

List of abbreviations (in case someone is not familiar with them by now):

AMS – Anti-magic Shell
    BB – Blood Boil
    BS – Blood Strike
    BT – Blood Tap
    DC – Dark Command
    DnD – Death and Decay
    DS – Death Strike
    FF – Freezing Fog (Rime proc)
    FS – Frost Strike
    HB – Howling Blast
    IBF – Icebound Fortitude
    IT – Icy Touch
    KM – Killing Machine
    Ob - Obliterate
    Pest - Pestilence
    PS – Plague Strike
    RP – Runic Power
    RS – Rune Strike
    UA – Unbreakable Armor

Depending on whether you want to pull (1) or tank at the spot (2) you should do:

1)DC/IT (IT if specceed for Icy Reach, which I recommend along with maxing out KM instead of investing points in Black Ice), drop DnD if there’s more than one mob, PS and Pest.

2) Run closer to the mobs and drop DnD, then do IT, PS, and Pest.

If you’re concerned with heals at the pull, which might happen at times, since the healer should wait for DnD to kick in before healing and sometimes they overdo it, you can hit BT and UA right away. Alternatively you might want to wait for the death rune from Pest to recharge and hit BT for an additional Ob. If you are going for maximum UA uptime, wait for the moment your blood runes are both blood and recharging to hit BT+UA. This way you won’t waste a potential Ob/HB by converting a death rune to blood rune.

After that all you need is keep up diseases and hit RS + HB/Ob/BS depending on what runes are up, as well as hit HB and FS when KM or FF procs. HB on average is better than Ob unless there are less than 3 mobs still up, but if your goal is to take down a mob ASAP Ob is preferable. HB, however, generates an additional 5 RP for every target it hits, so if you’re RP starved and there are plenty of mobs around you might consider HB, while when there are few mobs Ob will net more RP.

Depending on how much AoE damage your dps do, you might want to go for additional HBs and BBs. Just remember that you’re loosing potential FF procs from all the missed Obs and that keeping up diseases is paramount, since it generates threat, increases your damage, reduces enemy melee speed and even increases your own (with the right spec).

Waiting for enough runes to recharge to put down another DnD turns out to be a waste of threat for me most of the time, so I would advise against it, unless you need to pick up a whole bunch of fresh adds.

For single target you should leave out DnD entirely and focus on keeping up diseases, spamming Ob/BS and using FS at every free GCD to dump RP and use up KM procs. Even if you’re onto a single target don’t let an FF proc go to waste, use it on your next GCD when all your runes are recharging.

At all times you should watch your health and incoming casts to pop IBF, AMS, and trinkets as well as hit DS occasionally… if such a need arises. You should also make sure to have enough RP left for OS buttons (IBF and Raise Ghoul + Death Pact). Also make sure you use up blood runes fast enough, so that your Blade Barrier stays up all the time.

I also would not recommend DW Frost tanking. It makes your life much harder, since weak and often RS leave you RP starved, while the avoidance bonus from a fast tanking weapon (you would hardly be able to produce considerable threat with two tanking weapons) does not compensate for it.

P.S. You writing style reminded me of Yahtzee’s speaking style in Zero Punctuation. I guess that’s just another thing which works much better in spoken form than in written one.
    Last edited by Winterburn; 04-25-2010 at 12:42 PM.
    Tam armis quam ingenio

See: How to DK tank the easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterburn View Post
    Depending on whether you want to pull (1) or tank at the spot (2) you should do:
    #2 by far.
    2) Run closer to the mobs and drop DnD, then do IT, PS, and Pest.
    Or just do it the easy way and glyph Howling Blast. DnD + HB + Blood Boil, done. Mobs will stick to you the rest of the fight after that. Then just spam HB, BB, and OB as necessary.

Moved to HALP! forum.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    #2 by far.
    You're often better off with pulling both in raids and dungeons. Even more so if an accidental chain pulling will most certainly lead to a wipe. Moreover, Death Grip and Strangulate gives DKs an extra edge, since we can pull two ranged/caster mobs at a time. Plus if you pull with IT by the time you engage the mobs in melee, you have your GCD recharged and ready for Plague Strike. With some concentration I even manage to pull it off on Gundrak charging Rhinos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    Or just do it the easy way and glyph Howling Blast. DnD + HB + Blood Boil, done. Mobs will stick to you the rest of the fight after that. Then just spam HB, BB, and OB as necessary.
    Single disease won't really work for Multi Target threat in raids. Unless the raid is really Single Target oriented, which would mean it lacks dps in trash fights. But that is unlikely even in 10-mans.
    Tam armis quam ingenio

You're often better off with pulling both in raids and dungeons. Even more so if an accidental chain pulling will most certainly lead to a wipe. Moreover, Death Grip and Strangulate gives DKs an extra edge, since we can pull two ranged/caster mobs at a time. Plus if you pull with IT by the time you engage the mobs in melee, you have your GCD recharged and ready for Plague Strike. With some concentration I even manage to pull it off on Gundrak charging Rhinos.
    I'm sure it works fine for you, but for a new DK that has to ask this question, single-disease AoE spam is by far easier, less complicated, faster threat ramp-up, and less likely to get stuffed up, lose aggro, or result deaths or a wipe (on AoE pulls. On single-target boss fights, then use by all means use double disease rotations).

Once he gets the hang of it, then sure, experiment with other ways. But right now he's at the point where he just doesn't want people screaming 'FAIL TANK' and dropping group.
    Single disease won't really work for Multi Target threat in raids. Unless the raid is really Single Target oriented, which would mean it lacks dps in trash fights. But that is unlikely even in 10-mans.
    Single disease actually works as well or better than double-disease in those situations. The problems with double-disease vs single are numerous:

1. All the Frost build dmg buffs require Frost Fever, or a single disease only, or are disease-independent. Bladed Armor + Black Ice + Glacier Rot + Tundra Stalker + Killing Machine + Endless Winter + Guile of Gorefiend + Rime - None require more than 1 disease, and none specifically require Blood Plague over Frost Fever.

The only abilities that derive some additional benefit from having a second disease applied are Oblit and Blood Strike, both of which are single single target only. On AoE fights, OB is only used when HB is down to proc Rime, and BS is replaced by BB.

2. If you go double-disease (DnD - IT - PS - Pst), your initial threat rotation is all DoTs (except for the one mob that gets IT+PS). If you're doing this as a new tank, running H 5mans with ICC geared dps, they're going to pull off you immediately. Slow building DoT aggro with no snap aggro in the first rotation guarantees it.

Some of those dps will adjust and slow their dps, but the other entitled jerks out there are just going to give a new DK tank a hard time about it.

3. Double-disease opener costs 4 GCDs overall (DnD + IT + PS + Pst), 2 of which do zero AoE and a 3rd (Pest) that does weak AoE. Single-disease opener costs 3 GCDs total (DnD + HB + BB), and every one of them is strong AoE. Single disease is faster to apply, and ramps up AoE faster, leaving no opening at the start of the pull for DPS to aggro.

4. Even in ICC raid trash, the only benefit you get from double disease is some extra marginal threat from the second disease, but at the cost of a Howling Blast + BB (or a DnD) every rotation. The 2nd disease doesn't buff any other AoE abilities (only Oblit, and BS if you ever use it).

Anyway, if you're experienced and pro enough to make double-disease work well and like it better than single disease, then /salute. But for new DKs, single's Effectiveness:Effort ratio is much higher.

+ Reply to Thread