+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Low level tanking (groups)

Low level tanking (groups)

Hi,

I decided to respec my lv43 dwarf warrior to prot yesterday.
    This is my "new" tank: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...m&cn=Streetrod
    I tried my first dungeon as a tank yesterday (Maraudon) and told everyone that this was my first tanking experience ...ever. (Btw, my main is a healer). Everyone was understanding and they even tried to give me some tips. I learned a lot yesterday Tanking single targets was no problem but groups was really a pain in the a$$. There were groups of satyrs with imps and it was imposible to keep the aggro of the imps on me. What I do is run into a group and start with a thunderclap so I have everyone's attention ;-) Then I start hitting sunder armor on as many enemies as possible and of course hit revenge whenever it's available. Also I hit thunderclap as much as possible. I also occasionaly hit shield bash if I don't forget it. And that's about it. Sometimes this works and sometime it doesn't. What do you guys think? How do you keep aggro on you when you have to tank a group of mobs?

Today there was a pally in the group who started pulling all the time and it was hard to keep the aggro on me. I told the group they didn't need a tank and I left. Tanking is hard enough as it is so I don't need an extra challenge .

It seems tanking is a whole new world for me. I like it, and I know it's not gonna be easy, but I'm determined to become a good tank someday. Any advice is most welcome.
    Thanks

Basic guidelines, if DPSer takes on your main target aggro to mob attack themselves. Can mean two things, either your not causing high enought threat or DPSer can be compaired your gear fairly in better gear.
    (if dpser does take overaggro better leave him dead and continue doing what your doing, but well healer might heal this aggrojerk and then complains about out of mana to heal the tank)

As you should know, that at thies levels you dont pretty much need to hold threat on all mobs. Like on when WotLK was released and people popped on heroics.
    Most people were undergeared and specially tanks necesserly was best that not all four mobs attacked them.

So one was sheeped, another frozen trapped and third sapped likely. (warlock Succubus, Hunters can tank one mob if pet doesnt take that loads of dmg), well there are options.

But since quite many people used like on heroics just run in spank and tank everything, take loads dmg and think themselves healed from the massive spikes of damage, everyone overgeared (compaired to ilvl200 rares or lower back then).
    -This comes out also by target(making marks like skull, X, [],moon) the enemies and saying what should be killed first that you can cause little amount of AoE threat to keep all mobs(monsters/enemies) attacking yourself while DPSers focus their Dmg dealt one the targeted mob by in order, while you taunt it and keeping threat on it. Then everyone applyes this to another mob and etc..

Well this tanking experince can be quite fatal, but when you reach more levels gain more abilityes and experience it can be quite enjoyable.
    Just dont lose your nerves over nothing.

Paladins with massive amount of Spell power and poping concentration yeah it can be quite aggrogainer generally. Thats why its easy and nice to tank dungeons with them.

When you gain vigilance might be usefull you on general gaining AoE threat also I recomend the minor glyph thunder clap if mobs arent towards to yourself.

Considering still tankers are the toughtess things ever walked on earth.

ive actually been playing as a protection paladin for little over a year now, and due to the changes to Seal of Command a few patches back, pally tanking feels like dpsing more so than tanking for me...

anyways, I'd rolled a warrior a few months back with the intent to level him as prot, but I got bored around mid-20's and also it was difficult to find groups for low level dungeons...recently with the 'new' LFD system, I decided to try leveling my warrior once more, and thanks to LFD leveling as prot has been a blast...

no offense to pally tanks out there, but compared to warrior tanking, pally tanking is faceroll - tanking as a warrior forced me to always stay alert on how much threat i had on each target (especially when AOE tanking) and the several tools of mobility within combat (Charge and Intercept, Intervene) made tanking large groups that were spread out so much more easier (compared to waiting for Avenger's Shield to come off CD for caster mobs)...

http://www.wowhead.com/profile=us.llane.jhedu#talents
    this is my warrior atm, and what i do for AOE tanking is charge in (preferably a caster mob first), shockwave, demo shout and start spamming cleave and devastate and shockwave when its back up (occasional revenge and shield slam as well)...because dps classes in LFD just target whatever they want to, and until u get the Warbringer talent that allows you to use Charge and Intercept in any stance and in combat, I tried doing as much AOE damage through shockwave and cleave to all targets while keeping an eye out for how much threat I had for each target (through addons such as OMEN or even blizzards own UI offers to show how much threat you have on each mob by coloring enemy healthbars with red, orange, and yellow - red being you haz threat, orange you losing threat, and yellow you're gaining threat)...occasionally i would lose a mob in AOE pulls but just taunt or Intercept and i'd regain threat...also, I glyphed Cleave to hit one more target, and that definitely seemed to help in my AOE pulls (as well as my AOE tanking dps xD)

in low level dungeons, especially during AOE pulls, it may be difficult to keep aggro on all targets, but the way I held aggro and kept mobs from beating the pretty dps (and sometimes the heals) into pulp is keep dishing out AOE damage through shockwave and cleave...hope this helps you some and good luck on your tanking endeavors~!
    Last edited by zadoo; 04-25-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks for your answers. Since I don't have shockwave and Devastate yet it seems I'll have to improvize untill I'm there. I'm going to install Omen and hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks.

AoE tanking is pretty limited for warriors at low level but this might help.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#LZZVItr0czVzh:fMZm with those glyphs.

So you charge in, thunderclap when they are all together, revenge/sunder 1st mob, que cleave, tab to next mob and revenge/sunder, thunderclap everytime its off cooldown, and keep revenge/sunder tabbing through the mobs. This is similar to the way I AoE tank at level 80 so in theory this should help.

If paladins keep pulling agro check to make sure they haven't got Righteous Fury buff, the amount of times Ret have it on and Prot do not is amazing

Gear wise, best focus on obtaining "of the bear" suffix plate items. Yours seem to be a bit all over the place atm, I know there isn't much variety on low levels but getting the right stats will help a ton. Get a new weapon too, BoA Thrash Blade or BoA Dal'Rends are good, as caster weapons are not generally geared towards melee dps.

Being low level charging a target will guarantee a strong threat lead to start with, and then just clap n slam away.. I'm leveling a new warrior atm and its prob doing 50% of the dps on a run, lots of fun.
    Just grab a ton of mobs at a time and you'll have endless rage to wail away on stuff

Thanks for the info guys. I tried cleave and it seems to work. My "rotation" now looks kinda like what Kyp described in his post and it works.

a question: you all seem to recommend charging to lead off the pull. I don't think my lvl 30 warrior can charge in defensive stance yet; are you charging and then switching to defensive? or do you tank in battle stance the whole way?

Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    a question: you all seem to recommend charging to lead off the pull. I don't think my lvl 30 warrior can charge in defensive stance yet; are you charging and then switching to defensive? or do you tank in battle stance the whole way?
    Stance dancing is interesting and helps build skills for warrior tanking later. Yes, you will need to switch to battle stance to charge. Take advantage of the rage you get from the charge to thunderclap once and then switch to defensive. This will kill your rage but as long as you made sure TC hit all the mobs, you will have enough lead to build some rage and then extend your threat lead.

got a lvl 36 priest healer, and what i found in instance, is ... healing is overpowered. At that level range, a decent healer can keep up a tanking mage (tough lil' bastards), a tanking rogue etc, and i'm not even mentioning dps plate classes here.

My guess is the new player dps, with the above experience in mind is gun-hoe about pulling, threat (wat iz thret? O.0). This illness can be cured with:

/w healer: Let the one who pulls before me, die

later on, at 50+ lvl, dungeons are less forgiving, and you'll see tank in a central role

Quote Originally Posted by Timberton View Post
    got a lvl 36 priest healer, and what i found in instance, is ... healing is overpowered. At that level range, a decent healer can keep up a tanking mage (tough lil' bastards), a tanking rogue etc, and i'm not even mentioning dps plate classes here.
    Actually I was in one instresting group at Deadmines. We all were near 20 level, and tank + healer dissappeared after the first boss, seemed that they were just after one level gain. So...

Retridin, Shaman and myself as Rogue. I tanked and tactic pulls one by one, everything from later..
    While we were waiting new Tank and healer.

Retridin well a paladin poped heals from some times, since I got lifeward on Trasher blade heirloom, + a dagger heirloom with crusader enchant on.
    I pretty much self healed half of the cases.
    Even without tank and healer. Five decend 30-40dps (i was making like nuts 70dps).

Thies instances well I think up to Scarlet Monastery, every dungeon is doable easily with four dps and one dps just focusing bit of healing. Even whole alot easier if everyone had heirlooms and properly enchanted em.

+ Reply to Thread