+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Icecrown Lich King Hard

Icecrown Lich King Hard

Hello and welcome to the TankSpot Icecrown Citadel Raid Guide! My name is Aliena and in this video I'll cover everything you need to know about the heroic mode 10-man version of the Lich King encounter. I will assume that you're familiar with the normal version of this encounter. If you're not, I suggest first watching our guide to the 10-man normal mode to learn about the Lich King's base abilities.

At the point of this recording, it's pretty much essential to bring two healers to this fight - a disc priest and a holy paladin. You also want two well-geared tanks and 6 DPS. Arthas has upped his health from 17 to 30 million, so you're gonna need good DPS to beat the time limit.

In every phase, Arthas has learned a new trick that'll make you have to adjust your tactics for this fight. The trick he's learned in phase 1 is Shadow Traps - those are the big black circles that you see on the ground. Arthas casts this on a strict timer on a random raid member, and anyone that's still in the area of a shadow trap after it spawns will get knocked off the map and die.

To deal with this, we split our raid in three groups. 1 group is compromised of the Lich King tank and the melee. Group 2 is the Shambling Horror tank and his shambling horrors. Group 3 is the ranged dps and healers.

Since the Lich King has so much health and you can't really afford to have people waste any time DPSing the adds, you have to use Necrotic Plague to your advantage.

Have any Horror that spawns misdirected to your offtank, who should keep the horrors between the ranged and the melee pile. Any necrotic plague is taken BEHIND a currently active shambling horror and then dispeled there. That way, the plague should jump to the horror and damage it significantly as stacks grow and yet the person taking it there will not get hit by shockwave if they stay behind it.

You should have a designated dispeler that is not a healer.

As more and more shadow traps spawn, your raid needs to move away from them, leaving them behind. Make sure all groups are always in range of each other.

By the time you approach 70%, you should be fairly close to a ledge of the room if you keep moving up like we do here.

As Arthas casts Remorseless Winter, your entire raid should be on the ledge as to avoid taking unnecessary ticks of the dot. Make sure everyone immediately faces the same direction and not another person, so that any Raging Spirit that spawns does not immediately soul shriek a raid member.

On the ledge, you want to spread out in at least three groups to avoid stacking Pain and Suffering too high on individual players.

The rest of this phase goes as normal.

When he starts casting Quake again, everyone should meet up in roughly the center area of the platform, cause there's an immediate Infest coming and then a Valkyr.

As disc priest in this fight, it is your job to take care of Infest by yourself. You want every raid member have a fresh power word: shield before every Infest. Save penance in case someone still takes a tick. Infest deals twice as much damage in the heroic version than it does on normal. If your disc priest gets picked up by a Valkyr, have your paladin use aura mastery for the infest.

The new ability gained in this phase actually affects the valkyrs. Instead of killing them to make them drop a player, you dps them to 50%, then they'll fly up into the air and spam an ability called Life Siphon. Any Valkyr should be taunted by a tank when possible so they don't disrupt priest shields on raid members.

Defiles should be dropped towards the starting point of the fight whenever possible. They expand a lot quicker in the hard mode than they do in the normal fight and as such are quite a threat if not handled with care.

You will want to setup a cooldown rotation for Soul Reaper. This greatly depends on your raid setup, but very useful are abilities such as Barkskin, Last Stand, Pain Suppression, Bubblesac, Guardian Spirit,Offtank Intervene and so on. Make sure your raid's communication is spot-on for this, or you'll end up with a very dead tank.

Phase 2 movement is a bit like a dance, really. You want to have your raid members in a central position whenever Lich King summons a Valkyr, so they have a long ways to go to drop the person in question, but you also want to be spread out a bit for Defiles, and you have to dance around wherever someone drops their defile. Knowing where to be at any given time depends on practice and communication. Your tank should be announcing where he's taking the Lich King so the raid knows to follow, and impending defiles and valkyrs should also be called out in vent, mainly just so no one has an excuse to be in the wrong spot.

You should also make sure that your raid has defile and shadow traps on say announce in their boss mod.

As you approach 40%, your raid should move towards an edge of the platform. Again, this is so no one takes unneccessary damage from Remorseless Winter ticks. You want to spread out in the same format as before and pretty much repeat the first ledge phase.

Phase three greets you straight away with Harvest Souls - yes, this is plural for a reason. Your whole raid gets teleported into the throne room and yet another dance begins. Now, in here are two things to look out for. Vile Spirits and bombs that drop shortly after they materialize. You move away from the bombs while killing the spirits. In our case, we all grouped up and moved to a safe spot when a bomb was about to drop on us.

To make sure everyone gets the concept, you should have a leader marked that everyone follows. After a little while of this, you get teleported back to the Lich King and are immediately greeted with a Defile, so be ready for it. Any spirits you did not kill in the throne room will also become active outside on top of the new ones the Lich King will summon. To deal with spirits outside, we used a soaker - the raid moves together to the side of the room furthest away from the spirits while your ranged members should dps whichever spirits they can, and exploding ones should be soaked by the offtank or a paladin in the middle of the room.

There's no more Infest in this phase but soul reaper still happens, so make sure everyone is on top of the cooldown rotation. Harvest Souls, Defile and Vile Spirits are all on a timer, so you should get used to the rotation pretty easily.

As far as healing in the Throne Room goes, your paladin is pretty much out of luck. Disc priest shields and Prayer of Mending as well as any other instants and health stones will be your best bet.

As soon as you hit 10%, the fight is over. Congratulations of beating the final challenge in Icecrown Citadel 10 man!

Thank you for watching this movie. As always, feel free to ask questions or add suggestions either on YouTube or in the strategy thread on TankSpot.com. Also, TankSpot Donors can download all of these movies in High Definition directly from our servers -- so if you'd like to learn more about that, just click the second link in the movie information box!
    Last edited by Aliena; 04-25-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Congrats on the kill

Nice not only for the kill but for the great video of it.

I was starting to lose faith that there was any real challenge out there for a disc priest but from the looks of this fight I'm going to be on the edge of my seat all the way though it plus two healing it man what away to lay on the pressure, I can't wait.

Great guide, but just to confirm - at this stage (icecrown buff at 10% going up to 15 next week probably) you would say that a 6 dps set up and a disc priest are absolutely needed?

I ask because our raid group currently has 3 healers, one of every class except Priest, and if this is the case we're basically stuck till the buff increases

Meh at needing a disc priest since my 10man doesnt have one and its been way too much of a struggle getting reliable healers to replace one now that we do. How bad would it be with say resto druid / shaman instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohhnose View Post
    Meh at needing a disc priest since my 10man doesnt have one and its been way too much of a struggle getting reliable healers to replace one now that we do. How bad would it be with say resto druid / shaman instead?
    As long as everyone is hotted up and infest doesn't tick you should be fine the only bonus of a disc priest is that infest mostly won't even tick once so the chances of it getting out of hand are greatly reduced.

Nice work as usual Aliena. This looks like a pretty tough fight, congrats on the kill and I look forward to seeing a 25 man hard mode video at some point too.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

Thank you Aliena! Always looking forward to all of Tankspots guides.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    As long as everyone is hotted up and infest doesn't tick you should be fine the only bonus of a disc priest is that infest mostly won't even tick once so the chances of it getting out of hand are greatly reduced.
    Infest always ticks unless there's a bubble up. So unless you always have a reliable way to instantly heal up every single infest before it ticks more than 3 times, you're good. Alas, you can't really do that without a priest. I haven't seen a single kill meter (and I checked about ~150) that did not have a holy pally and a disc priest, sorry to say. There was ONE kill meter that did have 3 healers, disc priest, holy pally, resto shaman, and all the others just double healed.

Maybe with 15% inc it'll be easier, but as of right now, no way.

grats to the kill, which addon is ticking in the middle of your screen that shows the time left to infest?

Did your soaker use http://www.wowhead.com/item=50361 each time he blew up the spirits? Not sure whether doing that is recommended or entirely necessary to be able to soak the spirits while saving some CD's for soul reaper.

Also what did you think of the fight? What was the hardes part of the fight to heal? (dy the looks of it healing inside the throne room seemed to be since you couldn't make much use of the other healer).
    Grats on the kill too

Quote Originally Posted by Wallert View Post
    Great guide, but just to confirm - at this stage (icecrown buff at 10% going up to 15 next week probably) you would say that a 6 dps set up and a disc priest are absolutely needed?

I ask because our raid group currently has 3 healers, one of every class except Priest, and if this is the case we're basically stuck till the buff increases
    Disc Priest isn't a must have but healing it with anything else is like taking a knife to a gun fight. We didn't want to break up our 10 man cliques so we tried Paladin/Druid the first couple of weeks and it was pretty painful. The resto druid had no GCD's to do anything else b/c they were using them all on the raid for infest. If the Paladin or Resto Druid got picked up by a Valkyr we wiped, if a tank needed a spot heal from someone else besides the Paladin we wiped, if the Paladin had to move for more than 3 seconds we wiped.

It's just so much smoother with a Disc Priest that it's not worth using another healer for the 2nd healer unless you are blessed by the RNG god's or your healers play perfectly through the first 2 phases.

Could you 3 heal it now? I'm inclined to say "probably" but you need your dps to be in BIS 277 gear and your 3rd healer would definitely want to dps as much as possible. But if you have a disc priest then you won't need a 3rd healer.

I dunno we ended up using our Resto Druid in crappy Moonkin gear and we used a hunter that just switched that class back to his main and is lacking in gear compared to the rest of our dps. One of our dps was dead all through the last phase and we still killed it, we soaked the vile spirits. Some of our dps's bad gear and missing one dps for the last 4ish minutes of the fight makes me think it could be 3 healed but I dunno.

I'm sure with 15 percent it will become more viable to 3 heal it if you wanted to but it's still going to require top dps from the 5 dps.

Congratulations to Aliena and her raid members on the kill. Looks like tons of fun! Now to kill him on normal mode.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aliena View Post
    Infest always ticks unless there's a bubble up. So unless you always have a reliable way to instantly heal up every single infest before it ticks more than 3 times, you're good. Alas, you can't really do that without a priest. I haven't seen a single kill meter (and I checked about ~150) that did not have a holy pally and a disc priest, sorry to say. There was ONE kill meter that did have 3 healers, disc priest, holy pally, resto shaman, and all the others just double healed.

Maybe with 15% inc it'll be easier, but as of right now, no way.
    I know for sure at least one guild Paladin/Druid healed it. It's not hard for a Druid to heal it, its just a matter of he doesn't have a GCD for anything else, I think ours would roll rejuvs on everyone, possibly even a couple of lifeblooms out to bloom to line up with the infest hit and then wild growthing both groups.

If either healer got picked up or the Paladin had to move for whatever reason the Resto Druid couldn't do anything. It was totally possible but our group got tired of playing an RNG game of wipes being caused b/c of healer pickups or the Paladin healer having to move for more than 3 seconds causing a wipe.

Why give yourself the headache? Any combination other than priest & pally relies on "what ifs" & a lot of luck, which just leads to frustration. That fight wasn't meant to be beaten by anything less than a stacked team until the ICC buff stacks high. I assume as we move up the % ranks we'll see a lot more kills by different setups.

As always awesome guide and video.

My group has a disc/holy priest, ret/holy pally, boom/resto druid, resto/(sucky elemental) Shaman. We roll every 2 healer fight with shaman/priest healing, would you say that it is possible to down arthas without a holy paladin healing the tanks?

And one other thing, I don't remember where, but I remember reading something about valk'yrs not being targetable after they've dropped whoever they were carrying. Is this true, or can I just target them and taunt?

Nice video

One question: What happend around 4:37-4:38 in part 2? Lich King has 10.2M hp/34.8% and suddenly he has 8.57M hp/29.1% one sec later. Did u merge two movies?

wondering how people handle ghouls in phase 1 with a fury warrior? can anybody enlighten me to any easy methods? btw our tanks are feral druid and a prot paladin
    Last edited by rosseli; 05-01-2010 at 06:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread