+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Warrior Tank, could use any good advice.

My Warrior Tank, could use any good advice.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...mar&cn=Valison

I've been researching good builds for PvE Tanking, mainly ICC10/25 now, and also been talking to the other tanks in the top guilds on my server, trying to learn anything from them about enchants, builds, gear I should be focusing on, etc.

I've been told I'm a pretty good tank, I hold my aggro well, and when I learn how to do something, it only takes me a couple tries of it to master it and do it quick, say the Gunship Battle, going across the ships and tanking the Captain, it only took me a couple jumps to start doing it quick and efficiently.

Anyway, if you could just check out my gear, and let me know if I am doing something wrong with it. I do stack stamina, as much as humanely possible, my defense is 576, way past cap, and my avoidance is around 68%. So I assumed I don't really need to worry about that, that is why I stack stamina, because I think you can never have too much health.

I still got a 219 belt, and 213 shield. I'm gonna get the 264 belt next from the emblems of frost, but the shield I have slight difficultly with, I'm gonna start doing HoR Regular, just for the slight upgrade, but other then that, I gotta do raids, which is fine, been doing that anyway.

All in all, just give any gear/enchants/build advice, or maybe any tanking advice, maybe I'll learn something I didn't know when it comes to tanking as a warrior.

There is a balance between HP and tweaking a Warrior the way it is meant to be. If you forget about Expertise, Dodge, Parry, etc, and dont try combine ideal recipe of Gear you have , I feel your maybe happy to stand still and AoE and let healers save your ass. Cos you know your gonna be Hit. After next fight in raid..link the Dmage taken and healing required for you and other Tank.

If correctly played you are a healers best wet dream Imo ofc

cara

Well you can look at my armory right there, see if I'm missing anything or should focus on another stat.

I'll post the damage taken, and what boss, along with the healing received tonight, got a ICC10 group run.

Just a couple of things:

Get the armor enchant for your cloak. As you said, you are already over the crit immune point, so the Def enchant is sub-optimal itemization.

Get the 275 hp enchant for your chest. This will provide more effective health than the 10 to all stats.

Blade Ward is bad. Get Blood Draining or Mongoose. Blade Ward does not proc often and when it does, drops almost immediately after. Add to that, that much parry is hit HARD by diminished returns, and this enchant just doesn't actually do what it looks like it does on paper.

Try to find another trinket other than the Ony one. Your avoidance is good without this trink. Don't get rid of this as there are places that you might use it for the resistances or in Cata. As it is, stamina and armor should always be your focus because they will make you a "tougher" tank to kill than any other stats. The Black Heart, Corroded Skeleton Key, even Essence of Gossamer are better in almost all fights than the Ony trink. Try to have one armor trinket, two stamina trinkets and switch them out based on the needs of the fight. In most cases, you will run one armor and one stam trink. If you know that the worst part will be magic damage for a fight, switch to dual stam trinkets.

Aoidance trinkets are not "throw aways". They can be great in places like Heroics where if RNG hates you and you don't avoid, it still is not lethal. They may also be awesome once Cata comes so hang onto them if you have them. For the current tier of raiding, however, RNG will kill you as often as it will save you so go with the always there metrics of stam and armor.

Hope that helps.

Thank ya for the help, should I use Corroded Skeleton Key and Glyph of Indomitability? One gives stam, other gives armor.

Yes, those two should be your standard trinkets, swap them out as you see fit. In raids, I either run with stam/stam or stam/armor on my trinkets, but when doing content that I grossly overgear, I sometimes put on a little more avoidance or defense from my trinkets.
    I usually go stam/stam on the more magic-heavy fights (LK, Sindy), and stam/armor on physical heavy fights (Queen, Saurfang).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

11 stam equates to roughly 1 stam so on a physical fight glyph is 162~ stam i would prefer corroded on the grounds of more stam (usable on both physical and magical fights) and the on use is GUARANTEED to cut damage down, while glyph is still dodge a random element and unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by CARAMON1 View Post
    There is a balance between HP and tweaking a Warrior the way it is meant to be. If you forget about Expertise, Dodge, Parry, etc, and dont try combine ideal recipe of Gear you have , I feel your maybe happy to stand still and AoE and let healers save your ass. Cos you know your gonna be Hit. After next fight in raid..link the Dmage taken and healing required for you and other Tank.

If correctly played you are a healers best wet dream Imo ofc

cara
    At this point in the game it's unnecessary to gem anything else but stamina, save for one purple gem to cover the meta bonus. There's a large discussion about it here if you need the reasoning why. Hit and expertise are unnecessary because warrior threat is heavily dependent on your rotation and spec moreso than your gear. What I mean is, if your threat is bad, it's not going to get better by adding offensive stats. Additionally, you can glyph taunt for fights that need taunts to land (Fester, LDW, Saurfang, Lich King). HP and Armor are your biggest priorities, that will make you the healers' wet dream.

For the OP- change your cloak enchant to armor, your weapon enchant to either blood draining or mongoose, and your chest enchant to 275 hp. It's debatable but you could change your glove enchant to 240 armor, but it's up to you. The Ony trinket is also garbage and there's only one fight in WoTLK where it is even remotely useful. Replace with either Black Heart from TOC 5 regular, Glyph of Indomitability from Triumph badges, or Juggernaut's Vitality from TOC 25. Otherwise I think your armory is in decent shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread