+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to Use Landsouls spreadsheet

How to Use Landsouls spreadsheet

WILDLY OUT OF DATE

I hope to get an updated version for the latest edition of the spreadsheet up and running some time in the near future

This guide will hopefully help people learn to use the landsouls spreadsheet, which has been the gold standard for warrior DPS simulations for a long time.

for a lot of the images might need to right click -> view image in order to see exactly what's going on and what stuff looks like.

You are going to need a version of excel that is '97 or sooner. I own excel 2007 and the screenshots used will be from that version of excel. all of the screenshots were taken using version 2.602 of landsouls spreadsheet.

Most of this information is presented in the manual presented in the intro tab. this guide is NOT a substitute for reading it. This guide is designed to help you if you are having problems understanding how to use the spreadsheet after already reading the manual.

Getting started

Go to this link:

http://elitistjerks.com/f81/t37462-w...n_spreadsheet/

you should see this:

The fury Tab

Please note that the arms tab is set up exactly the same as the fury tab,

after entering in your character name and server, press the green button to have it load your armory in to the spreadsheet.

For each area of the equipment section, there are drop-downs with all gems/gear/enchants you can use for that slot
    The Item drop down is sorted by the +/- DPS rank in the lookup tab (I will discuss this later on in the guide)
    Gems are sorted by quality and color

Now on to the lookup tab

Also located in the stat adjustment area is the "check sheet" option. This is the setting to change which tab (fury or arms) the lookup tab will be drawing its data from.

Please note that the +/- DPS values in the lookup tab do not always correlate to the values of the fury or arms tabs. when there is a conflict in numbers, trust the fury/arms tabs over the lookup tab.

General Usage
    so lets say you got a new item, and want to know the best gem set up to use for that item.
    In this example I am going to use getting a shadowmourne as an example.

Before changing anything this is what my loadout looks like:

Changes will always be outlined in red

Now because I see that I am over 100% ArP I automatically know that it would do me no good to use another ArP gem in the 3rd socket in shadowmourne, so I add a 20 STR gem.

Any ArP rating beyond 100% is wasted. since I am above 100% I need to check if having an ArP gem that is only being partially used is the best use of a socket. In cases like these you want to try and find a yellow socket with a decent socket bonus and then use an orange gem and see what result that has on your DPS metric. In this case I used a +10str/+10crit gem, and it in fact was a DPS increase.

Because I am a jewlcrafter there is one more gemming path that I need to check out which is changing my +34 ArP gem in to a +34 STR gem and then making all of the other gems be ArP. Although I am close to the ArP cap with this setup it is a minor DPS loss. this is probably due to the "free" stats gained from gaining the socket bonus by using the orange gem.

I hope this guide has been helpful for you, if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions feel free to post them.

Some of these screenshots show the player named piston being loaded, that is not me. that is one of my fellow guild mates that I originally posted on my guild forums to help him learn how to use the spreadsheet. Do NOT whisper piston in game.

I know landsoul has a copyright on his spreadsheet, so I know I should have some sort of disclaimer recognizing that he owns the rights to it, I do not pretend to be the creator or copyright holder of the spreadsheet, all recognition goes to him for that. (insert a proper legal disclaimer here)
    Last edited by Thegreatme; 07-27-2011 at 11:43 AM.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

Reserving this post just in case I decide to do a holding tank like in my fury guide.

EDIT: also, wtb auto resizing of the pictures.

|TGM UI |Fury Warrior Guide | How To Use Landsoul's Spreadsheet| The Numbers Game |
    "I am an elitist; I will never accept mediocrity and I openly show no respect for stupidity"

Thank you for this!!!

Awesome post TGM, Stickied!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Great Guide TGM

Every Fury and arms warrior should be using this spreadsheet, it really helps make decisions quicker and more reliable. Sure there is a Best in Slot list.... but that truly wont be the best dps spec you can get until you get ALL the items, so meanwhile you are better off with other items while you assemble your BIS items.

The most dificult part is when the + - DPS values of the lookup table are incorrect. This is annoying but nothing is perfect anyway. Never make a decision to roll on an item based on the lookup tab, always use the fury and arms page to see if it helps or not.

How do i get landsouls to calculate my dps, I have evertyhing entered correctly but my dps metric only says # DIV/0? Sorry if im missing the obvious.

Dilly, that means the file broke, and is dividing by 0 somehow. You might need to redownload the sheet and re-input information, be very careful that you don't accidentally enter info into boxes that shouldn't be entered into.

*Gives stamp of approval*

By the way. the blood elf pally on the right -> is hot.

You mean Aliena? she's a priest! ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Dilly View Post
    How do i get landsouls to calculate my dps, I have evertyhing entered correctly but my dps metric only says # DIV/0? Sorry if im missing the obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Dilly, that means the file broke, and is dividing by 0 somehow. You might need to redownload the sheet and re-input information, be very careful that you don't accidentally enter info into boxes that shouldn't be entered into.
    I had this problem when I was using a non-DPS item (Verdigris Belt over Girdle of Arrogant Downfall - blame it on RNG drops and poor RNG OS rolls). Do you have any tanking gear in your DPS set? Or any really low item level items that might not make the tables? I think the most common cause of this is an item that isn't in the spreadsheet.

What does "Switch Lookup" mean in the dps metric field? I can't get it to give me a result other than that.

that means you need to go to the lookup tab and change the "check sheet" option for which ever tab you want it to be checking.

Super work on the spreadsheet, Landsoul, it is really awesome.
    Very nice explaination, TGM.

How do I see and adjust the size of the ICC team buff used to calculate the dps?
    I believe that the dps is a bit high if the ICC team buff is not included, which is my reason to believe that there is some level of ICC buff.

in the manual modification section of the fury/arms tab you can change the DIM (damage increase modifier) to what ever the ICC buff is. it's cell U31.

Quick question I'm using Microsoft Office Excel 2007, out of the Office Enterprise ED. However No matter which Version of the Spread sheet i download i get an error

The '07 version gives me this error:
    Removed Part: /xl/vbaProject.bin part. (Visual Basic for Applications (VBA))

and the older one gives me:
    This workbook has lost its VBA project, ActiveX controls and any other programmability-related features.

Any idea what is causing this? I thought it was .net libary so i updated that but still the same thing, I used to use an old old version of excel but i cant find the cd to install it anymore.
    US|Thrall|Horde Yea, I Love Plate
    Ike(Fury Warrior) Oit(Dk Tank) Oiz(Holy Pally)

I have never run in to that error so unfortunately I have no idea what might cause it (most of the problems I know how to troubleshoot/fix are ones I've had to deal with personally). The only thing I know is that visual basic errors are never good.

EDIT:
    after a quick google search my only suggestions would be to make sure the file is .xlsm and not .xlsx; and other than that try re-downloading it and/or making sure your security settings are set to medium or lower.
    Last edited by Thegreatme; 09-13-2010 at 06:51 AM.

I've been familiarizing myself with this spreadsheet over the past 6 months or so, and when I went to open it up this past month or so, it was giving me an error (which I'm at work right now so I don't have the exact wording unfortunately) but it was pretty much saying that the file that I was trying to open was not there.
    So, I went to download it again using the '07 version. I got a zip file with just a bunch of files with the codes for the spreadsheet in them, and not the actual spreadsheet.
    So, I downloaded the older one. Again, same files... all codes, no spreadsheet. Somehow, the actual spreadsheet just opened on my computer and I have no clue how or what file. So, I saved that spreadsheet on my desktop when I was done with it and, when I try to open that saved copy of it, it gives me the same error as I got with the original spreadsheet, saying it's not there.

Any clue?

According to the creator himself - the much anticipated v3 of Landsouls Spreadsheet is planned for release before the Firelands release(patch 4.2)

read the link if you are interested in features etc..

http://www.vodka-guild.net/blog/Land...l..._b-10.html
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/dragonblight/Erkebrand/advanced

/floorjaw

when will it work?

+ Reply to Thread