Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Taunts Really Miss Bosses?

Should Taunts Really Miss Bosses?

I'm not saying that the RNG of Taunts is wrong. I think it adds a nice dynamic on trash pulls and such, having to react to a taunt missing is an important part of tanking.

But to have to use up a Glyph slot (where Warriors already have 2 other staple glyphs) for fights like Saurfang or Sindragosa just to make sure things stay smooth just seems dumb to me.

If there's something you can do about it missing - i.e. using a secondary Taunt, all well and good. If your class doesn;t have a secondary Taunt (I think both Druids and Warriors only have Fixates as secondary "hit me" buttons?), then it just sucks.

I'd probably rather there were two different sort of tank swap encounters, though - one where you taunt because timing is crucial, and so you really don't want it to miss, and others where the boss *can't* be taunted, so the timing is necessarily more fluid.
    Official Dragon Wiggler of the Ashen Rose Conspiracy
    Nerf Paladins

What I've been hearing from Blizz lately is that they don't think it should be as easy to miss as it is. It has been suggested it might lose its chance to miss, though that will be in Clysm at this point.

In the meanwhile? It is possible to make it incapable of missing with the glyph and a very reasonable amount of hit rating to reach, so if you don't want it to be possible to miss you can attain that, it just isn't without cost currently.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Am I weird to still appreciate that you can even taunt bosses?

Quote Originally Posted by Nez View Post
    Am I weird to still appreciate that you can even taunt bosses?
    There should be far less bosses that are tauntable. Those that are shouldn't have their taunts miss ever and it definitely shouldn't cost us one of our major glyph slots in order to accomplish this.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    There should be far less bosses that are tauntable. Those that are shouldn't have their taunts miss ever and it definitely shouldn't cost us one of our major glyph slots in order to accomplish this.
    That I agree with totally.

Ghostcrawler on taunts missing:
    I'm going to vote for not interesting gameplay.

At the very least, you should be able to reduce your chance to miss a Taunt to zero if you reduce your chance to miss with a weapon to zero. It's also possible we'll just let them always hit.
    Probably will get changed in Cataclysm.

honestly I'd be ok if it was just weapon hit instead of spell hit, then again I can say the same thing about icy touch. I had a wipe in ICC the other day because I went to pull and had Icy Touch twice, death grip, and taunt miss in a row. A freak accident I know, but stuff like that shouldn't happen. I don't mind wiping, I do mind wiping because of stupid game mechanics beyond the player's control.

Death Grip can miss?

its happened to me, not very often, or maybe it hit and somebody pulled aggro, I might have a shoddy memory but I believe I saw a miss on my combat log

I don't think that any mechanic that is so essential to many encounters should be allowed to miss.
    Honestly, it's like giving heals a chance to miss - it adds a coinflip factor into the fight. Miss the flip, and you wipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    Ghostcrawler on taunts missing:

Probably will get changed in Cataclysm.
    Like I said, I dont want Taunt to always hit, missing them during like a 5-man trash pull (at least in TBC) made things interesting. But much like how they can turn parry hasting off on certain bosses, just make other bosses where taunting is fundamental...just not freakin miss.

It's almost as if they want us to waste gold having 200 taunt glyphs and 200 X glyphs everytime we do saur->fester->putricide->sindra on HM.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    it's like giving heals a chance to miss
    Oh jeez, reminds me of this resto shammy in early TBC telling me that I "resisted" her heals...

Back on topic:

Changing Taunt to function off of melee hit requirements (if that's possible) makes the most sense. It keeps things interesting and gives another aspect to gearing that I think tanks need. I have no problem making sure I stay Taunt-hit capped for Cata as long as the cost of doing so is not as insanely steep as it is now.

I suppose with all tanks having a secondary taunt-mechanic to fall back on and technically being able to glyph their taunt I don't really see the big deal.

One can always carry around a few glyphs (and should), and swap in a Taunt / Dark Command / Growl / Hand of Reckoning glyph for sensitive fights like Putricide and Saurfang if one does not like having to rely on a cooldown-based secondary taunt.

That's something I don't quite understand though, it seems a huge part of the community has an issue with swapping in a taunt-glyph for a taunt-based fight but does not consider swapping other glyphs for fights strange. Either the game is designed to allow me to optimize my glyphs per-fight - and considering how cheap they are it is currently - or it isn't, in which case I can only swap them say... once every 24 hours.
    SQUEAK.
    -- (The Death of Rats, Terry Pratchett, Soul Music)

Quote Originally Posted by Schmevan View Post
    I had a wipe in ICC the other day because I went to pull and had Icy Touch twice, death grip, and taunt miss in a row.
    Same - DG miss, IT miss, healer dead, no wipe but brez used prematurely. This happened just the other week.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    I like bosses being tauntable for sake of ease and safety, but I wouldn't mind seeing that go away so that it is truly punishing of DPS who are careless. I remember well how in BC if you pulled threat on a boss you were probably wiping the raid, that had a positive impact on people taking responsibility for their own threat.
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    I like bosses being tauntable for sake of ease and safety, but I wouldn't mind seeing that go away so that it is truly punishing of DPS who are careless. I remember well how in BC if you pulled threat on a boss you were probably wiping the raid, that had a positive impact on people taking responsibility for their own threat.
    Even if it didn't, at least the bastards got a repair bill and fingers pointed at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by KnThrak View Post
    I suppose with all tanks having a secondary taunt-mechanic to fall back on and technically being able to glyph their taunt I don't really see the big deal.
    Warriors and Druids do not have a secondary taunt mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    I don't like bosses being tauntable one bit - it makes DPS lazy.

Look, I honestly have no issue with taunts being part of the core mechanic in a boss fight - that's a good thing, and it makes for good boss fights most of the time. But bosses that don't have such mechanics don't need to be tauntable. (Though it would help a lot there if they gave offtanks a more reasonable chance to stay second on threat.)

What I hope they do is change taunt to be on the melee hit table, but without a chance of being dodged or parried, and at the same time, they don't change the taunt glyph. That way, tanks have a few reasonable choices to make when it comes to these things. Either you ignore taunt hit completely, which would work fine for heroics and easier raids, you have enough hit rating to be reasonably sure your taunt hits, or you make sure you hit the cap via hit rating or a glyph.
    I like choices, and right now, tank that raid don't have a choice. Either they get the glyph and some hit rating, or they run the risk of wiping their raid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Closed Thread