+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unholy DK Dps Low

Unholy DK Dps Low

I am having a great deal of trouble trying to get my DPS up. I have been watching videos on youtube and reading forums on here and on eliteist jerks about blood, and unholy DPS. I was using blood doing about 3.8K on the heroic test dummy. After reading the above mentioned forums, I switched to unholy, as they all idicated that unholy does more DPS with 3.3 than blood. Now, I'm pulling 3.4K on the heroic test dummy. I am using the correct rotation:

PS – IT – BS – SS – BS – DC – HoW SS – BS – SS – BS – DC – DC– (DC)

Source: http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t72364-unholy_dps_heres_night/#Single_Target#ixzz0lvpuotPh

Here's the armory link: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...Soul&cn=Briael

I know I have several PvP items, does that make that much of a difference?

With your gear, you should be using a reaping build and the ScS heavy rotation or the Unholy/Frost build. The reaping build makes the most of your Unholy talents but the Unholy/Frost build will let your rotation remain essentially the same. Personally, I liked the reaping rotation back when it was not so reliant on gear and look forward to getting my gear in shape to use it again.

You can find a good guide to that on elitistjerks.com
    Google
    "unholy dps site:elitistjerks.com"

Basically, with the 2p T10 bonus, Scourge Strike hits hard enough that you want to maximize it. With reaping, you will be taking advantage of the death runes to squeeze in more ScS. An important part of this is to use the Glyph of Disease so that you can refresh your diseases with Pestilence. You will use your blood runes to keep up Unholy Strength with a BS and to refresh diseases with pestilience. Otherwise, you will be spamming ScS as much as possible. The guide referenced will give you a good run-down of how this works.

ok first I would like to say testing you DPS on a test dummy will NEVER give you a proper read, so spells and effect will not work on the dummy. This means we will alway see the wrong numbers. The only true way to test your DPS is in a 10 or 25 man raid on a boss with proper buffs.

That being said you I would use the reaping-less spec for your single traget. I use this spec on Kori.

You are using the proper rotation for the reaping-less spec and I would still use it. I use
    Code:
    PS, IT, BS, SS, BS, Gargoyle, DC, (DC), SS, BS, SS, BS, DC (burn), HoW
    . You will see I have the Gargoyle in this rotation. I use it every chance I get and do not wait for buffs. This is because the DK dps rotation is so tight you just may not have the time to wait for the right buffs to stack. Also popping it at the start and at the end of a fight is for the most part better then popping it one time buffed.

I would also try and hit Naxx and try to get [Grim Toll] or hit The Forge of Souls and get [Needle-Encrusted Scorpion]. Both are easy to get and both are better then [Battlemaster's Rage].

Now you will not max out your DPS if you do not use the proper Professions or Macros. I would if you can try and level up Jewcrafting or Engineering to replace your mining. Here are some macros I like to use:

The following are only for people with Engineering:
    Army of the Dead

Code:
    #showtooltip Army of the Dead
    /use Potion of Speed
    /use 10
    /cast Army of the Dead

This will pop AotD with both the haste buff of Hyperspeed Accelerators and Potion of speed. Unbuffed this puts my haste rating at 888. I put /use 10 to proc the Hyperspeed Accelerators. Make sure you have your AotD before the fight because you can only use Potion of Speed on time in combat. If you use the Potion of Speed before combat you will be able to use it again with your Gargoyle.

Death Coil

Code:
    #showtooltip Death Coil
    /use 10
    /cast Death Coil

This will proc the Hyperspeed Accelerators when ever you use Death Coil. Remember that Hyperspeed Accelerators has a one min CD but it is off the GCD. I macro this to Death Coil because it is the best spell to effect your rune CD the least so that your rotation does not get messed up.

Blood Boil

Code:
    #showtooltip Blood Boil
    /cast Blood Boil
    /use Global Thermal Sapper Charge

This will proc Global Thermal Sapper Charge at the same time as Blood Boil. You will need to make sure you are not low in health when doing this as you will take 2188 to 2812 DAMAGE.

Other macros

Quick Respec

Code:
    /script PetDismiss(); 
    /usetalents [spec:1] 2; 1

Bone Shield

Code:
    #showtooltip Bone Shield 
    /cast Blood Tap
    /cast Bone Shield
    /cancelaura Blood Tap

Summon Gargoyle

Code:
    #showtooltip Summon Gargoyle
    /use Potion of Speed
    /cast Empower Rune Weapon
    /use 13
    /use 14
    /cast [target=Player Name] Summon Gargoyle
    I also made a video a while back if that would help you any.

Video
    Streaming - http://vimeo.com/10517226 (Best to watch it in full screen)

I hope this helps you become a better Death Knight.

Your spec is correct and rotation is correct but pvp gear is completely garbage for PVE content. And as a DK you should never have ap over str unless you have no other choice ( such as DW frost). The previous poster is correct as you do not have the gear yet for reaping and the fact that the target dummy is good for rotation practice and that only.

Moved to HALP!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Casja View Post
    Your spec is correct and rotation is correct but pvp gear is completely garbage for PVE content. And as a DK you should never have ap over str unless you have no other choice ( such as DW frost). The previous poster is correct as you do not have the gear yet for reaping and the fact that the target dummy is good for rotation practice and that only.
    Not doubting you as my unholy dk could do better dps (gear is not very good, but I suspect I could do better even with that), but everything I have read is that 2p T10 and the bonus was the catalyst for the reaping change. The OP is sitting at 3p T10. Why would he not change? Yes, the PvP gear needs to go, but he is still getting the bonus.

Putting a Nightmare Tear in your BS socket on gloves is just yuck! It should go in a normal socket (preferably blue) on a piece that gives +8 or +6 strength as the bonus. They pretty much covered everything else except that you should drop some hit since the goal is 8% and no more.

Quote Originally Posted by sifuedition View Post
    Not doubting you as my unholy dk could do better dps (gear is not very good, but I suspect I could do better even with that), but everything I have read is that 2p T10 and the bonus was the catalyst for the reaping change. The OP is sitting at 3p T10. Why would he not change? Yes, the PvP gear needs to go, but he is still getting the bonus.
    The catalyst is when Scourge Strike does more than double the damage of Blood Strike (fuzzy number here: 'double'). The breakpoint is probably a good bit higher than double since Frost subspec got buffed (it used to be you gave up 2 blood strikes and 3% crit to take reaping, now you're switching from frost subspec all the way back to blood which is really hard to compare straight up).

Anyways, so that's why an easy rule of thumb is 2 pc T10, since 10% harder ScS is almost certainly going to take you past the break point.

But when I look at the OPs gear (specifically his Axe) I have my reservations despite all his T10 gear. He can judge for himself if he's ready for reaping or not. I suspect he's doing a lot of disease damage compared to strike damage, but maybe not.

Actually, I was curious and ran his toon through Mr. Robot with full raid buffs: 17% ScS dmg versus 7.9% Blood Strike dmg. So it's close, when I tried reaping reaping I saw an every so slight dps gain, but I only ran the sim once for each spec so take it with a grain of salt.

Also: OP please at least use a pve meta if you're serious about improving your dps. Also, the mirror or truth is better than battlemasters rage for PvE.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Man View Post
    The catalyst is when Scourge Strike does more than double the damage of Blood Strike (fuzzy number here: 'double'). The breakpoint is probably a good bit higher than double since Frost subspec got buffed (it used to be you gave up 2 blood strikes and 3% crit to take reaping, now you're switching from frost subspec all the way back to blood which is really hard to compare straight up).

Anyways, so that's why an easy rule of thumb is 2 pc T10, since 10% harder ScS is almost certainly going to take you past the break point.

But when I look at the OPs gear (specifically his Axe) I have my reservations despite all his T10 gear. He can judge for himself if he's ready for reaping or not. I suspect he's doing a lot of disease damage compared to strike damage, but maybe not.

Actually, I was curious and ran his toon through Mr. Robot with full raid buffs: 17% ScS dmg versus 7.9% Blood Strike dmg. So it's close, when I tried reaping reaping I saw an every so slight dps gain, but I only ran the sim once for each spec so take it with a grain of salt.

Also: OP please at least use a pve meta if you're serious about improving your dps. Also, the mirror or truth is better than battlemasters rage for PvE.
    Thank you very much for the clarification. Is there any way you can link to this Mr Robot you referenced? I haven't come across this yet in my previous searching.

It's an online sim I found via EJ. Which is great for mac users like myself: http://www.askmrrobot.com/WowSimulator.aspx

Lot of great information everyone! I appreciate every bit of it. I will be working toward the changes suggested. I have already noticed a considerable DPS change between blood and unholy in VOA 25. Unholy is much easier to get above 5K than blood imo. Thanks Again!

The scourge strike dmg compared to blood strike dmg is not all you need to look at. If you already use a blood sub-spec then it needs to make up for 2 blood strikes, plus the change in glyphs to disease, plus the loss of 3% crit. Now if you are using a frost sub-spec you have to replace the loss of the 4% str and the change from glyphs. When you are moving 2 talent points around there is a major compounding of changes that you dont see at first. There is no sure fire perfect time to switch you can only try it in a raid or two and compare it to before. Even the conveniance of having blood runes may make a increase by itself or it may fall flat on its face.

Glyph of Disease isn't used at any point for Unholy anymore.

It's main use before was to wait until everything procced so your diseases were hitting at the hardest possible point, and then use the glyph to refresh them at this 'super' value. But a few patches back Glyph of Disease recalculates your disease damage each time you use it. So it's not worth using anymore, and as far as I know, this isn't dependent on gear level. It just doesn't beat the other options.

You are correct about GoDisease unless you are using unholy for trash. Still doesnt change the loss of other talents by changing to a reaping build though.

I will be going and looking at the changes since 3.3.3 since there is so much agreement about GoD, however, the last I read (during 3.3) was that the point of GoD was not to roll the highest proc based disease damage (as that was going away), but to be able to use more ScS by rolling diseases with a single blood rune rather than having to use an Icy Touch and a Plague Strike to re-apply them.

You dont use glyph of disease as unholy because diseases dont roll there ap bonuses anymore

Then pardon a terminology fail. If I said "refreshing" it may have made my point better. Using an Icy Touch, Plague Strike and Pestilence to refresh diseases seems wasteful of runes vs Pestilence resetting them all back to full duration and having an FU pair to use for ScS.

First off are you concerned about AoE or Single-Target DPS?

Because the DPS that really matters is Single-Target (aka Boss) DPS. To which Glyph of Disease should never be used anyhow, since you shouldn't be using Pestilence in a single-target rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by sifuedition View Post
    Then pardon a terminology fail. If I said "refreshing" it may have made my point better. Using an Icy Touch, Plague Strike and Pestilence to refresh diseases seems wasteful of runes vs Pestilence resetting them all back to full duration and having an FU pair to use for ScS.
    On the surface it would appear that using GoD to do more ScS seems like a dps gain. And I'll do a little speculating (ie no math or research) as to why it isn't.

GCD.

You already end up with gaps in your rotation, so the only reason to add more gaps is if ScS + Pestilence hits harder than Blood Strike + Plague Strike + Glyphed Icy Touch. It's the extra Blood Strike that you lose that makes the difference. Plus you generate more RP this way for more Death Coils.

But again, I'm just looking at rotations rather than doing any math to see if this works out.

RP generation is the main loss. To even make Godisease close you would need a reaping build and then you are losing very nice talent points depending on your sub spec.

+ Reply to Thread