+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boomkin missing the Boom "Talents and Specs?"

Boomkin missing the Boom "Talents and Specs?"

hey i'm a level 80 balance druid in a radinging guild i have gear of Triumph level or higher. Problem is I can't seem to get a fair dps.
    i using the rotation of wrath until proc lunar eclipes-> then switch to starfall until the proc runs out-> then i got onto putting my DOTs on-> and countinueing Starfall until the Proc cooldown is done-> then rinse and repeat.
    I think it may be a problem with how i am dispering my stats because i can't seem to find a comprehensive guide on what the minimums for icc moonkin stats should be.
    Due to some quick talent shifting my talents may have a few points off and any advice in this would be very apreichated
    I will link my character below:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...ge&cn=Garadoth

Thank for any advice you have, hopefully this will help and i won't have to be the lowest on the list anymore.

Hows your latency? -try using quartz (addon that shows, latency on cast bar and when that next spell should be casted)
    Even with 200ms you kinda need to notice the latency.

Using Starfall/Treants on each CD all the time?

Cant say much from this info. I would believe that try out get Quartz and spam the spells. If its still quite alot behind, well hopefully somebody that has more experience on Moonkins answers.

When you say you think you should be doing more DPS, please provide an actual number and the context. "Self buffed, I only do XXXX DPS against a boss target dummy." Knowing how far off target you are is helpful in gauging what the problem is. At a glance though I can tell my response will take a little while to write up.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Currently your optimal rotation is the standard 3.3 rotation, however that is because you are glyphed incorrectly. Because you are still using the Glyph of Insect Swarm that artifically bumps up your priority on Insect Swarm from after one Eclipse to after both Eclipses. Correct Glyphing would have your optimal rotation as Insect Swarm only being refreshed after during Post Eclipse(Lunar) / No Eclipse phases leading into Eclipse(Solar). Because you still have the tier nine two piece bonus, Moonfire is refreshed in any Post Eclipse / No Eclipse phase.

Running your numbers through WrathCalcs you should be doing against a boss training dummy only self buffed without consumables or using trinkets 6101 DPS. Using trinkets on cooldown about 6372 DPS. These measures also include estimating the Nibelung effect, it not procing or procing multiple at once would scew results. Also this doesn't account for Starfall targeting other target dummies and dealing additional damage.

Spec
    Fine. Two points in Genesis however nets you about 10 DPS gained. Many balance druids will actually only put one point there or only one point in Moonglow to open up tier 3 and instead allocate extra points that were freed up to Gale Winds for additional AoE damage when necessary. However these are optional points and Genesis is better for single target DPS (by about 5 DPS per point).

Glyphs
    Insect Swarm is no longer the strongest glyph post 3.3.3, Glyph of Starfall is now the strongest Glyph. Because you are running two piece tier nine bonus the other two are Starfire and Moonfire without question. At very high end of tier 10 content Glyph of Focus may overtake Glyph of Moonfire, however most Balance druids are using Glyph of Starfall, Glyph of Moonfire, and Glyph of Starfire.

Gear
    You have two pieces of gear with MP5 on it. MP5 has no value at all as a DPS stat, even Spirit as weak as it is offers significantly more benefit than MP5 to a balance druid. Not only do you outgrow all of your efficiency talents but you should also outgrow any pure efficiency stat. Which by the way, you have the Ashen Verdict ring that has MP5 on it. That's a healer ring. Get the caster DPS one. When it is upgraded to the Revered one you will get a proc on it that only procs off heals, you have to change it.

Your trinkets are quite weak. Did you for instance know that Sundial of the Exiled, the Emblem of Heroism trinket is stronger than your Talisman of Resurgence you spent Emblems of Triumph on? Just because it is higher item level, does not mean it is better. There are a large quanity of trinkets of lower item level which would be significantly better. Dying Curse would be a better hit trinket if you need a hit trinket however you should't really need it. Replacing your MP5 gear with hit gear should remove the need for a hit trinket anyway. Trinkets which stack spellpower passively work exceptionally well for a Balance Druid such as Illustration of the Dragon Soul, Eye of the Broodmother, and Muradin's Spyglass would all replace either of your existing trinkets. Reign of the Unliving is still one of the best if you can get your hands on it.

Badges need to go towards getting your tier 10 pieces. Two piece tier 10 is better than 4 piece tier 9. Four piece tier 10 is better than two piece tier 9. So you have a clear progression path. Gloves and legs drop in VoA so you will likely save those for last, despite them being the best pieces to replace first because you'd be getting rid of spirit items. Once you have all at least four of your tier 10 you can buy the Emblem of Frost belt, Belt of Petrified Ivy. Last you'd get the upgrade idol. You should only buy tier pieces, belt, and idol with Emblems of Frost. Don't even think about anything else like the cloak, trinkets, or offset pieces.

Enchants
    Missing enchant on cloak however you will find it replaced when you get to Dreamwalker on either 10 or 25 man ICC. Do not buy the badge one.
    Change your boot enchant to Tuskar's Vitality, it will net you more DPS than 18 Spirit on just about any encounter that involves movement. I ran the numbers once on Festergut as a test case (with a very predictable amount of movement) and came out to about 20 DPS gained. 18 Spirit by counter example is about 6 DPS gained. Festergut has predictable, and small amounts of movement. A fight with significantly more movement like Putricide it will net you significantly more DPS gained. Your meta gem will change because it is very wrong and I'll talk about that in the next section.
    All your other enchants are fine.

Gemming
    While you are currently under the haste soft cap, getting up to the cap will likely come in the next few upgrades so I will focus with that in mind. When you are above the haste soft cap, crit is a better stat until you reach the crit soft cap. When both stats are soft capped (crit over 100% during Lunar, haste over 50% during Solar) then crit and haste tend to even off in value. Because the crit soft cap is significantly higher than the haste soft cap, once haste soft cap is reached you gem for crit and when you reach the crit soft cap you just keep gemming for crit because they even off.

First off, the meta gem should always be Chaotic Skyflare Diamond. Self buffed this would give you about a 150 DPS increase because of the increased critical strike damage. No other meta gem can compete with this effect on any level of progression. The Chaotic Skyflare Diamond requires two blue gems to activate the effect.

Gemming Rules...
    Since you are a Jewelcrafter, you should try to use your Dragon's Eyes in pieces you intend to go for the socket bonus on that have red sockets. This reduces the amount of regemming you have to do as your replace pieces. If the bonus is worth getting regardless, you will never say I need to take a gem out of there because something else is better. Putting them in different color sockets is actually counter productive since as you replace gear you may find yourself wanting to use that other color socket to activate a meta where previously you didn't need to use it.

Prismatic (extra colorless) Socket = Runed Cardinal Ruby

Red Socket = Runed Cardinal Ruby

Yellow Socket =
    If 1 socket (5 spellpower), Potent Ametrine, else Runed Cardinal Ruby.
    If 2 sockets (7 spellpower) and the other socket is red, Potent Ametrine, else Runed Cardinal Ruby.
    If 3 sockets (9 spellpower) and there is no blue socket and there is at least one red socket (2 red and 1 yellow or 2 yellow and 1 red), Potent Ametrine, else Runed Cardinal Ruby.

Blue Socket =
    If 1 socket (5 spellpower) and required one of two for meta, Purified Dreadstone, else Runed Cardinal Ruby.
    If 2 sockets (7 spellpower) and the other socket is red or required one of two for meta, Purified Dreadstone, else Runed Cardinal Ruby.
    If 3 sockets (9 spellpower) and both other sockets are red or required one of two for meta, Purified Dreadstone, else Runed Cardinal Ruby.

With these rules in mind, the following gems could be replaced.

Helm
    Tireless Skyflare Diamond -> Chaotic Skyflare Diamond
    Smooth King's Amber -> Potent Ametrine

Shoulder
    Gemmed Correctly

Chest
    Potent Ametrine -> Runed Cardinal Ruby
    Runed Cardinal Ruby -> Purified Dreadstone

Belt
    Gemmed sub optimally but ok to have a spare Purified Dreadstone for when gear changes. Acceptable error.

Pants
    Gemmed sub optimally, it would be better to pursue the socket bonus here than in the belt. Acceptable error.

Boots
    Gemmed correctly.

Bracers
    Gemmed correctly, though I would have put a Runed Cardinal Ruby in the off color socket rather than using the Dragon's Eye there.

Gloves
    Potent Ametrine -> Runed Cardinal Ruby

Weapon
    Gemmed correctly.

I would still be curious what your DPS actually is against say a boss target dummy so we could gauge how far off target you are.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Some additional reading.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...with-no-Guides

Provide there a little breakdown of the DPS phases for balance DPS. The information is a little out of date since it pretains to 3.3 and hasn't been updated for 3.3.3. There is also a video demonstrating the 3.3 DPS rotation. Your rotation wouldn't be far off from that except that you wouldn't refresh Insect Swarm between any eclipse, just after a Starfire one leading into a Wrath one.

Other reading: The Elitist Jerks article by Hamlet
    http://elitistjerks.com/f47/t66856-m...dated_3_3_3_a/
    Attached is the WrathCalcs balance dps spreadsheet.

well i'm not proud of it but i am getting about 4000 after a bit of time with all the procs going off at the right itme

You likely have flaws in your rotation itself because against a target dummy you should be around 6000 even before applying changes.

+ Reply to Thread