+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Lvl 60

New Lvl 60

Hello, I just hit 60 and I could use some help.
    I need to know about my spec, glyphs and what my rotation should be.

also, I hear that at 60 my heirloom mace and crusader chant might not be a good choice? at what level should I start ditching my BoA mace and start looking for other options?

I have been running prot a lot and I did my first BC dungeon last night. I was having a hard time with the new spells I had and I think my glyph of concecration is causing me problems, I read about the 969 rotation.

What should my first "9" be

any help is appreciated. I have been readin on the net but it seems a lot of info is targeted to lvl 80s and raiding vs lvl 83 bosses.
    have a good day

/bump

I'm not a paladin tank, but it has to do with your spells that have a 9 second cooldown (in some cases 8, that you just wait an extra second to use).

The problem with BoAs is that plate ones don't have defense. As a priest healer, I find that as you get into WotLK dungeons crits will start to become a problem. As I have stated elsewhere, healing through the crits isn't so much the problem, it's going oom more often because there's avoidable damage that didn't need to be healed.

BC plate tends to itemise poorly for tanks. Just pickup what you can and hope for the best. As soon as you are 70, make sure you have a set of the cobalt crafted defense plate from a blacksmith. It's about that time that you should weigh up whether the +10% exp is worth the extra strain on your healer. If your dps is downing trash fast, wear it. if they struggle, turtle up.

definately get rid of it at 80.
    Last edited by Metasynaptic; 04-21-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Reading this few times, noticed that your prot paladin, well glypts, specc rotation. Not quite needed. Seen quite few Retridin, even holydins tanking on 50-68 randomly.

Basicly, your just going to need learn basics about on tanking like if you want to maximize survival and get less load on healer.
    Well everything is about avoidance and "def cap" one way to find out those just google about them.
    Find alot information about them wowwiki etc..

Defence cap against +2 (levels from your own is 5,4% this means that you got avarage chance of 5,4% avoided to get hitten by critical blow), but generally you wont have much gear to available to yourself.
    So if you can stacking stamina would be nice specially, when you can get uncommon and rare stamina gems from WotLK are cheap.
    Since you start finding on dungeons some gear that have gem slots and stacking there stamina.

Also you might wanna notice that if you go against +3 level creatures on dungeons.
    Your healer should be able to heal the critical hits, thought if you get three times row those.
    Your going to be pretty dead specially if it comes by in less than 3 secounds.

But what can you do if you dont feel to be enought geared, or your doing horribly on dungeons? Take those "green colored instances." when you got more defence against green mobs (asuming you have defence almost maximized).

Maximize threat and poping cooldowns that reduct dmg taken, giving healer more time to heal.
    Aswell always notice if one or more mobs (monsters, a greeps, enemies) on loose and you dont have threat on them.
    They are usually end up attacking healer and then healers usually strugle on healing, thats gonna cause wipes.

I dont know if this helped, but well seemed that I was only one to willing to help you out.

edit1/ umn resilence will do the work (so if you got WG heirlooms that have resilence), if your missing defence also.
    Just remind overall avoid to get hitted by critical blow on +2(your own level) mobs is 5,4% and from +3(your own level) is 5,6%
    Last edited by Paranoid; 04-21-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Adding info

Use other weapons as you find them, and swap them out for the BoA mace again as the mace grows in power again.

969 is the following (which you can't use completely until the mid-70s.)

Judgement(9)-Hammer of the Righteous(6)-Holy Shield(9)-Shield of Righteousness(6)-Consecration(9)-HotR-Judge-SoR-Holy Shield-etc.

I prefer starting with judgement, since it has range enough for you to hammer soon after the mob gets in range. For optimal results, precast consecration and holy shield, but that may drain your mana too fast. The rotation requires several points in the retribution tree for improved judgements, and I strongly suggest going deep enough for seal of command. (Which would probably be at level 70, since Hammer of the Righteous kicks serious ass.)
    For the time being, you'll have a 10 second judgement, and you'll be lacking SoR, so a real rotation is hard to create. It would probably best to stick to a priority system for the time being. So, if HotR is off cooldown, cast it. If judgement is off cooldown, cast it. If Holy Shield is off cooldown, cast it. If Consecration is off cooldown, cast it. (I'd stick to that order of priorities.) You could use Avenger's shield in combat, but I'd save it as a pulling tool.
    Don't forget about holy wrath if you are fighting undead mobs and mana permits.
    There will be some gaps in that rotation, fill them up as you see fit. You could swap seals to suit the occasion, throw some hammers of justice and wrath or dispel some nasty poison. Don't use anything with a casting time, though - when casting, you won't block, dodge or parry anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid View Post
    Seen quite few Retridin, even holydins tanking on 50-68 randomly.
    I have a baby paladin that is level 28, that is 'untalented'. I regularly get 'nice tanking' comments at the end of the run, then I whisper them to inspect me. laughing ensues. I'm wondering hw long I can maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Metasynaptic View Post
    I have a baby paladin that is level 28, that is 'untalented'. I regularly get 'nice tanking' comments at the end of the run, then I whisper them to inspect me. laughing ensues. I'm wondering hw long I can maintain it.
    I remember when everyone had proplems on keeping my warlocks threat down. I had two engineering trinkets (well those ilvl200 ones) on Sunken Temple and etc.

On protection they did give me a protecting bubble, but when I started on destro specc rain of fire. All monster just attacked me!

So I found out, that Retridins were the only ones to keep this threat away from myself.. Since concentration was making most of the AoE dmg anyway compaired to other dpsers (not included myself).

Reading this few times, noticed that your prot paladin, well glypts, specc rotation. Not quite needed. Seen quite few Retridin, even holydins tanking on 50-68 randomly.
    I've healed quite a few retridins tanking like that.
    At about the time you hit outland dungeons this stops being fun. They take too much damn damage then.

Quote Originally Posted by Metasynaptic View Post
    I'd say for quite a bit. If you know what you are doing, your base skills are all you really need for tanking untill you hit outland, especially if you have some heirloom gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Yeah I have the plate, shoulders and a 1H mace BoA.

Once I got some guy going 'dude wtf you have no talents.' someone else said 'dude, shut up, this is the best gnomer tank I've had in a week.'

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    I've healed quite a few retridins tanking like that.
    At about the time you hit outland dungeons this stops being fun. They take too much damn damage then.

I'd say for quite a bit. If you know what you are doing, your base skills are all you really need for tanking untill you hit outland, especially if you have some heirloom gear.
    Id definedly use WG resilence heirlooms for tanking. High stamina growing stats and still giving small bonuses what comes avoiding critical hits.
    I dont know about paladins thought, yeah we I remember stopped seeing them on Outland.
    But I still remember overaggroing bosses, thought might of needed waiting then.

As I said, I seen randomly. Usually then either DKs were taking loads dmg them selves aswell or something oddly happened, but it was possible.
    I tanked on release WotLK DK to 58-80, but it seems nowadays that I rerolled to Druid they take annoying amounts of dmg.

Well, nowadays since you dont need badges to buy PvP-gear if you got stocked like my main and alts, Stone Keeper shards, buy PvP gears for baby classes, just got my full Warsong and Arathi Basin gears to priest at level 30.

edit1/ umn resilence will do the work (so if you got WG heirlooms that have resilence), if your missing defence also.
    Just remind overall avoid to get hitted by critical blow on +2(your own level) mobs is 5,4% and from +3(your own level) is 5,6%
    I had a bit of a read of this and I like your thinking.

Yes, the [Strengthened Stockade Pauldrons] are about the best shoulder tanking boa you can get because while they don't have defense, you have resilience. Better yet, in theory you can put the pvp shoulder enchant [Greater Inscription of the Gladiator] on them.

does resilence have any effect on MOBS? I thought resilence only effected pvp.

I generally dont die in dungeons, in fact the only time I died was in BRD in the bar when everything attacked after a hunter shot prematurely.

I appreciate everyones responses, thank you.
    I felt it was easy tanking up till BC. Still not dying, it was all the new spells and I was not sure if my glyphs were right for all the new spells.
    My trouble is keeping aggro from all the mobs, casters hanging out side of consecration, holy wrath range seem to be turnning there attention.
    also, sometimes DPS hits them before I do.
    I appreciate you noticing the situation I am in with being short on Seal of Vengence, not enough talents to hit Seal of Command and in general having holes in my rotation.
    That is where all the web sites that assume I am 80 make it hard for me to figure out.

Does anyone have a good addon for comparing gear drops tanking potential?
    I was using tankpoints but wont ignore the enchants I have put on items. My main is enchanting so everything I get gets the best enchant I can put on it.
    maybe I never figured out how to use pawn but it wasn't really clicking for me.
    thanks again for all your help(my tank is Jewelcrafting and inscription) so I will be gemming the best that I can.
    have a good day and thank you

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbadger View Post
    does resilence have any effect on MOBS? I thought resilence only effected pvp.
    I strangly doupt people here. There is still tons info on internet to check thies things, if you dont believe on them try testing out them.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Defence

(edit/
    The critical hit % reduction from Defense and Resilience % may be combined to reduce the chance of being critically hit by a raid boss by 5.6% making the player immune to critical hits.
    )

There is a link that tells you about Defence generally as ability, thought remember in about 6 months we dont need to worry about defence anymore.

+ Reply to Thread