+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank healing logic

Tank healing logic

Based on a two healer setup in 10 man icc is it normal for a tank healer of any class to only heal the tanks or should they make an effort to assist the raid healer?

The reason for this question is last night in one of our 10 man normal farm runs our druid healer died on putri while running away from the orange gas, his hots couldn't keep him up and the H-pally tank healer never cast a heal on him.

Being a disc priest my self I always try assist the raid healers when I can but is it not the same for every tank healer? or is it just a pally thing

On this fight, the Paladin should be putting the beacon on the tank and healing the raid. There's enough raid damage (the Abom has that aura) where he can keep the tank up with ease.

It really depends on the situation.
    A Holy paladin can easily heal a small group of people (Beacon the tank, Holy light in melee group), but sometimes healing someone outside that group is tricky. In the situation you describe, I think the pallie should have thrown a few heals the druid's way, and tell the tank to use a survival cooldown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

On my pally I'll normally throw the raid some heals if it looks like the other healer could use some help - I am especially mindful of whether or not my healing partner is taking damage. Even if it's throwing a Holy Shock to help buy some time and try to get a proc for a instance FoL, I get a heal off.

my first question as a druid healer myself is why did he not shapeshift cat and dash

but on a serious note i run disc priest|and myself in 10 mans and often find the shields do minimal damage

as the paladin he should easily keep himself unbored by healing low members of the melee at the minimal. If he gets healer tunnel vision however, then you will have to rework some of the strat.
    Druid heals of Haomarush|US|Horde

You have to be flexible when your other healer(s) are in trouble. We 3-heal because we're wimps, but when one of our healers has to run around like a chicken with their head cut off (like when our tank healer is trying to merge an ooze on Rotface and has to wait because of the slime puddle) I know to pay more attention to the tank, and I will warn him if there's too much other stuff going on for me to give him enough healing and he should pop cooldowns.

Sometimes its RNG on who gets ooze that can just wipe you if your healers can't deal with having to run around. But in PP, since there's only really damage to heal on one tank, the healadin should beacon the tank and spot heal other people when they can.

So it seams the general idea is healers are supposed to help other healers when they can, I guess I will have to keep an eye on him to make sure he is not just focusing on the tanks or I suppose he could be one of those healers who assumes he is supposed to focus only on the tanks and the raid healers focus only on the raid, either way I guess I will have a little chat with him if it keeps happening or what will happen most likely on later fights such as sindra major healing problems should both raid healers get ice blocked or debuffed.

A big part of it I think is if you're used to 25-mans people seem to be more strict about healing assignments because there are so many healers. You can have three healers on the raid, so when one is running around it's not as big a problem, and two healers on the tanks. Or whatever. If they're not used to 10 man raiding or just taking their advice from "conventional wisdom" (paladins are tank healers and if they heal the raid you will fail and if your tank healer isn't a paladin the world will implode).

The big thing though is that beacon should let them spot heal and the tank still benefits. Healing your beaconed target is kind of a waste, isn't it?

If I had another healer be so oblivious like that... they'd likely be booted from the progression team. Actually, they likely would never make progression. what happened is a cardinal healing sin in my book.

Healing is a team effort. That would be like me never tossing an ES or riptide up on the tank. you help each other out and figure out your roles in each fight. They can change. Generally it's nice if you have a good healer who can coordinate healers fight by fight although regular groups generally know each other already and can do it without chatting about it. Putricide is a VERY minimal tank heal fight that requires the tank healer to assist with heals as possible. A tank healers primary role should be the tank but the secondary role is to make sure others live too. AS the tank takes NO big damage there (doing her job right) that pali should have been assisting on raid heals PARTICULARLY on that portion of it.

Ultimately, after I finish cursing in my head over a healer like that, it's up to the team to communicate what needs to happen and for the healers to figure out how to work together. Healing is a shared burden and the purpose of the healers is to keep people alive long enough to be successful in the kill. Good healers adapt fight by fight and situation by situation.

IMO a healer should never sacrifice another healer regardless of the situation. Fights where the tank does not take a lot of damage (PP) a healer should NEVER neglect to heal someone simply because, "i wasnt assigned to heal that QQ." To further this logic, the haler that died was a druid healer. This means that:

1. You lost a battle rez
    2. You lost 50% of your heal base
    3. You are going to wipe since P3 is impossible to solo heal

All because your pally healer did not see the need to heal. You must also ask the healer:

1. Was it an accident?
    2. Did you miss click?
    3. Were you healing someone more important? IE himself or the tank.

If he says no to all of those then you are simply raiding with a careless healer. Don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakhammer View Post
    On this fight, the Paladin should be putting the beacon on the tank and healing the raid. There's enough raid damage (the Abom has that aura) where he can keep the tank up with ease.
    This is what I did on my Pally alt, and it worked like a charm. Beacon/SS the tank, keep the FoL HoT on him/her, and then heal the raid. No need to spam heal the tank for Phase 1 and 2.

Putting the FoL hot on the tank is about the only time a paladin healer should ever directly heal them anyway. As long as beacon is up they can just raid heal the entire time. Usually on putri if there's no-one that immediately needs healing I'll just heal myself. I stay in melee range of putri and follow him around so I usually get the glyph splash on him too.

Ka Pai, GMT+12 recruiting now!

A healer who single mindedly sticks to his assignment and fails to adapt to a changed situation is a liability.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Quote Originally Posted by Mačl View Post
    A healer who single mindedly sticks to his assignment and fails to adapt to a changed situation is a liability.
    ^ This.

...but to play devil's advocate, are you sure the paladin *could* heal the druid at all? Depending on positioning while avoiding malleable goos, puddles and other stuff, the paladin may have just ended out of range and the tank taking too much damage for the paladin to move into range without sacrificing the tank. This is not uncommon. Although, the biggest question is, why couldn't the druid stay alive? Between rejuv, lifebloom, WG and heck even a NS + regrowth or healing touch, they can put out a lot of healing on themselves on the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Amamaeth View Post
    ^ This.

...but to play devil's advocate, are you sure the paladin *could* heal the druid at all? Depending on positioning while avoiding malleable goos, puddles and other stuff, the paladin may have just ended out of range and the tank taking too much damage for the paladin to move into range without sacrificing the tank. This is not uncommon. Although, the biggest question is, why couldn't the druid stay alive? Between rejuv, lifebloom, WG and heck even a NS + regrowth or healing touch, they can put out a lot of healing on themselves on the move.

Good point, I am not totally sure as to the entire situation since I was in another group but I can relate to issues such as range like in my group the same situation happened but I assisted the druid and the tank ran to the other side in which case I told him to come back a few steps if he wanted heals ( there was no chance in him dying from such little damage anyways ). But yea I don't know all the details fully so I can't really judge his performance for my self but at the same time the druid healer wasn't to happy with the lack of support on all the fights so I am guessing this was the first encounter that the raid healer really needed assistance but didn't get any.

+ Reply to Thread