+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tankertots:Gear your Tank in LFD

Just wanted to thank you for the time spent in this thread. I'm new to prot/tanking, and I'm currently leveling my warrior through wrath...this is EXACTLY what I was looking for

Glad it could help.

Great guide. It would be useful to add in pvp gear when you get the time, as I think it may often be accessible and useful to newly dinged level 80 tanks. It is not designed to be tanking gear, but can contribute a lot to EH and uncrittability - the two top concerns of a new tank. Yes, it lacks avoidance, but for most heroics, where dps and healers outgear the content, this may not be a big issue. The increase in threat and dps is some compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinytankz View Post
    However i will be honest after tonight my armory will show me in a wrathful hit cloak for the gobs of stam and AP
    The resilience on PvP gear will also help new level 80s get uncrittable (unlike the durable cloak, which is wholly lacking in defence). Most of the wrathful and relentless off set pieces available solely for honour are potentially interesting to new level 80s. Aside from the cloak, they may not be best in slot pre-raid, but the relentless belt and boots - for example - may be better than the emblem gear. I would recommend them if the tank has some interest in PvP: these kind of pieces can be a stop gap for PvE and have a long term value for PvP.

As the tank that taught u everything ben i am OFFENDED

Just a small note but The Black Heart actually drops in normal ToC not Heroic. I intend on farming it today Thanks again for this guide, very helpful.

@detour Thank you great catch i proof read this at 11 at night then editited it in a late night class so i know there is another error floating around.
    @Sek OH HO JOE Where's My news SON

Quote Originally Posted by theodisius View Post
    Great guide. It would be useful to add in pvp gear when you get the time, as I think it may often be accessible and useful to newly dinged level 80 tanks. It is not designed to be tanking gear, but can contribute a lot to EH and uncrittability - the two top concerns of a new tank. Yes, it lacks avoidance, but for most heroics, where dps and healers outgear the content, this may not be a big issue. The increase in threat and dps is some compensation.

The resilience on PvP gear will also help new level 80s get uncrittable (unlike the durable cloak, which is wholly lacking in defence). Most of the wrathful and relentless off set pieces available solely for honour are potentially interesting to new level 80s. Aside from the cloak, they may not be best in slot pre-raid, but the relentless belt and boots - for example - may be better than the emblem gear. I would recommend them if the tank has some interest in PvP: these kind of pieces can be a stop gap for PvE and have a long term value for PvP.
    If you do any tanking on your way to 80 you should have a good start on gear to tank heroics to begin with. The two main slots I found hard to fill pre-raid is cloak and ring.

For the ring slot, you want the 245 ring purchased with triumphs, and for the second ring, wear anything until you have the gear to tank for ICC rep runs. I wore the wrathful pvp ring in the second slot for a short period of time until I could get the tanking ring from the Ashen Verdict.

For cloak, I believe the wrathful pvp cloak is the best choice pre-raid and pre-frost emblem cloak. Once you get 50 frost emblems the cloak is probably going to be the first thing you'll want to replace.

If you have the honor to buy the other offpieces and want to get into pvp I'd say go for it, but in my experience gearing up to tank ICC, only the ring and cloak were necessary to buy until I could get into raids.

I can say that when i started heroics at 80 i had the following slots filled with level 80 blues or epics

Head-tempered titansteel
    neck- burning skull pendant
    cloak- durable nerubihide
    bracers-saronitesword breakers
    hands-refined ore gloves-
    belt- the BoE blue
    feet-temepered titansteel
    shield-titansteel shieldwall

All the otehr slots were from dungeons or quests but, gemmed and sons of hodir starter enchant i was at 29k hp and uncrittable so i started rocking

As a note i will be checking the PTR's for BoE and such to make sure this guide stays relevant 3.3.5

Something to maybe list are the tank items you can get from the various Rep Quartermasters.

Thank you sooooo much for this thread! With 7 80s, my new 80 paladin will be my first ever tank and I feel like a complete noob because she leveled Ret spec.

I'm finding it hard to actually reach 535 defense, so this guide is awesome for where to go and what to look for. Just starting out, I have the Nerubhide cape but the Tattered drape has defense so I've included that for now. Also, the EB Toxin-Tempered Sabatons have better values for starting out than the Tempered Titansteel Treads. Both of those pieces are in my bank but not equipped until I'm def capped without them.

All my tank friends are saying I don't dare step into an instance without being def capped so my plan is to run heroics (again) for a tanking T9 set, then start in regular instances until I get the hang of the new rotation.

Thanks again for all the help, guys!

Great list. Thank you very much. Its really nice to have such a list when starting new class/spec gearing.

Is there any compatibile to this guide gem/enc list? If not, what geming/enchanting guide do you recomend to read for pre-raid gearing?

Gemming and enchanting should be hardily covered in Agg's lovely guide. It can be found Here. I may add a Gem and enchant section to help out but,it is all very straight forward Stamina is king, and threat is handled via proper use of talents (this is to say that threat issues do not come from not enough hit/expertise they come from improper usage of your threat generating abbilities.) You look to put Hp or armor on everything but i have a certain love for Tuskar's even though you can get a 7 more stam enchant.

Thank you for the link. Looks like I'll need to do some re-geming .

I'm just not sure can I gem belt slot with meta gem and would that be smart?

Metagems only go in metagem slots, which only appear in helmets.

Be sure to grab sesonal boss clack, it's nice.

seasonal cloaks while awesome are just what is noted seasonal. Adding it here would only taunt people who look next week.

Thanks so much man!

Is the midsummer event...with lord Ahune cloak any good?http://www.wowhead.com/item=54801

at 80's where you will be able to go through and get heroics, I would have liked to see Emblem of Frost gear here.

+ Reply to Thread