+ Reply to Thread

Thread: An Arcane Mage Gemming Question?

An Arcane Mage Gemming Question?

Hey, was just wondering what should I go for with my gems? I currently go for set bonus with my gems and I've been wondering if I could get a better DPS output if I changed my gems to just stack sp or something along those lines.

Here is a link to my armory just so you guys can see how I currently gem, etc.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...ittens+of+Doom

Also, any other suggestions you guys could make that could help me with my DPS output would be great.

~Ách~

Yes and no, your gemming for most your bonuses which you generally isn't always the best idea. You only need two blue gems, in your case; your head the 9 spellpower bonus helps, and either your chest or shoulders would be the next best slot, for their bonus. Your also doing pretty good on spell power, so for gemming you most likely want to go with Reckless Ametrine, in every other slot for some more haste. I also noticed a intellect gem, this is just wrong.

Also a little bit of dps help would be Abyssal Rune. It has about 20% uptime which isn't all to bad, you lose 9 spell power from you Talisman of Resurgence, but you gain 80 haste (~2.5%) which will help a bit more since your haste is kinda low. To find it, farm regular Trial of the Champion (5man instance not the raid). It drops of Eadic the Pure and the Black Knight. This is basically BiS until you can get your hands on Dislodged Foreign Object for arcane mages.

And Black Magic is better then 63 spell power on a 1h weapon. Rule of thumb 2h = 83 spell power, 1h = Black magic.
    Last edited by leethaxor; 04-19-2010 at 08:03 AM.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Ok I switched my int gem.

But I don't understand, Should I just stack Reckless Ametrine and Runed Cardinal Ruby in every slot other than my headpiece,chest and shoulders?

Cheers

In two words; Socket Bonus. Your want to get the maximum useful socket bonus when you are socketing for your meta because most likely the gems for your meta requires aren't 'the best' gems to be using.

Take for example your helmet; For an extra 9 spell power you need to put in a meta and a blue gem, the blue gem your using is a Purified Dreadstone which gives spirit. While spirit gives some crit due to molten armor and a bit of mp5 it isn't that useful for a Mage. The 9 spell power bonus though makes it worth while, 12 + 9 = 21, while not as good as a Runed Cardinal Ruby It helps keep your meta active.By this logic you will want to use your blue gem to get the maximum possible socket bouns. You would go with your chest (I'll edit the original post for clarity it was really early when I made my post and though 5 and 7 were the same number). You could use your belt too for the blue gem since it has the 7 spell power bonus, and your most likely won't replace it soon.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Cheers mate aprreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread