+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rawr modelling of Fury vs Arms

Rawr modelling of Fury vs Arms

So I normally have two tank specs, but I've put together a reasonable DPS set (T9 with the left over scraps of T10 gear that our melee DPS already has won) and sometimes even use it (i.e. on Dreamwalker, which only needs 1 tank and our bear's offspec is resto). When I DPS I've been going Arms, as I started this project last summer before the ArPen nerf and it was the best way to go, and I do fairly well with it (i.e. I usually hit very close to what Rawr indicates I should be able to hit).

I've been planning to try out Fury when I get a chance, and last night I acquired Oxheart to compliment the Citeadel Enforcer's Claymore I already had, so I hopped into Rawr to see how it would model my DPS. After many hours of plaing around in it, after respeccing, reglyphing, regemming, swapping the abilities around, and even adding in some upgrades I can reasonably expect the next few weeks, Rawr continues to show my DPS potential as Fury as substantially lower than in Arms, which is the opposite of my understanding once you get the gear to support Fury.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if Rawr is actually doing an accurate job of comparing Fury to Arms. I don't have Excel on my new computer so I haven't been able to use Landsoul's spreadsheet since it was updated for 3.3, but I recall there were some discrepancies between the two. Anyone out there with the experience to clear this up?

Thanks!

(note: I don't want to link my armory here as the issue I'm concerned about is whether Rawr is being accurate in this case, but I am over hit soft cap, at the expertise cap, and don't have any other glaring deficiencies in my gear; it is a little ArPen heavy because I hit passive ArPen cap in battle stance as Arms, but I assumed that wouldn't hurt too much, and I tried regemming both all strength and all ArPen to very similar results).

I've heard the same, but I, too, do more damage as arms then fury. And find the playstyle more interesting anyways. So I DPS arms.

Well then. I downloaded rawr and have been playing with it and it says I do more damage as fury then I do as arms. Where as landsoul's says I do more as arms. Go figure. Time to spend way too much time deciding what I should be even tho I don't do any PVE besides ICC pugs and daily heroics...

arghhh

Yeah, this is mostly academic for me too. Half the time I have two tank specs, and I only DPS on Dreamwalker (depending on the OT) or in random heroics and once in a great while an Ony or VoA pug. Still, I've always felt that if it's worth doing something you should give it your best attempt, and I'd like to solve this (although I suspect it'll just require spending the coin to try it out). And the extra utility of Fury would be nice in 10 man raiding.

Arms vs. Fury propably has become awfully close.

You will see differences between fights with lots of adds and fights with one target.

I have been wanting to go back to arms since fury bores me to tears. Once I get a decent weapon I will switch back.
    The problem is, everybody wants a well geared tank with a good reputation. Decent DPS is a dime a dozen.
    Funny thing is, my DPS spec was my entry ticket into raiding as a tank.

IMHO you need to take the RAWR models with a grain of salt. It has some trouble with coouldowns and I dunno if it factors in change of rotation when you get a DPS proc.

SIMON DE MONTFORT, EARL OF LEICESTER
    pioneer of representative government who was
    killed in the Battle of Evesham on 4 August 1265.

Rawr does do a good job of modeling. Go in & check your stat values, while ArP is usually the best stat to have, a low crit for fury is substantial loss of dps and rawr might be telling you that.

The arms model for both rawr and the spreadsheet have issues because arms is very RNG based. I cant say for sure what one is more accurate for arms, but the spreadsheet is very accurate for fury (normaly off by only 2-4%)

These are good thoughts, thank you. Fledern, what is too low of crit for fury? I just switched and I have 47% crit self buffed, a hair over 50% with good 5-man buffs (don't raid till Wednesday). I seem to get decent numbers when I get into the rotation, but it's a very diffferent mindset from Arms (as you guys well know). I think I was doing a bit over 6k on the better 5-man boss attempts, although we'll have to see how that translates to Dreamwalker this week. As Arms I was hitting 5-6k on raid bosses, so I'm hoping to beat that with Fury as I get better with it. At the least I've got something to learn about and get better at while I finish tanking ICC 10 and wait for pre-Catc content to launch.

@squats: I know the rotation of Arms is more priority/RNG based, but I also seem to have pretty consistent results in terms of actual DPS. Plus a string of insta-slam procs seems to really elevate my Fury DPS, so while the FURY rotation is less RNG I'm not (yet) convinced that the DPS results are.

+ Reply to Thread