+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not sure if its my gear, but I need some advice

Not sure if its my gear, but I need some advice

Lately I feel like I have really struggled in the new ICC dungeons. I'm talking FoS, PoS, etc. I am no way raid ready at least as MT (in my opinion). I seem to be taking a ton of damage and I am well over cap for defense.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...&cn=Klandathar

I'm frustrated because my wife who is a great healer, says I take more damage than she sees w/ other warr tanks and she seems to be the only one that can keep me alive these days. I don't want to just put blame on the healer since it has been several occasions of late that I have wiped.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks!

First things first. There is no defense cap.
    Now, looking over your gear, here's my thoughts.
    Your armor looks good, but could be better. Consider buying http://www.wowhead.com/item=47735 and using it in place of the dodge trinket.
    Your hit rating is on the high side, your expertise looks good.
    Avoidance ratings are fine.

Your gemming needs fixing. All gems should have a stamina aspect to it, so blue, purple and green are the colors you should use. I consider only socket bonuses of more then six stamina per offcolor gem to be worth going for. I see six yellow or red gems in your gear - even if you keep the socket bonuses and replace them by their green and purple varieties, that's another 1k health for you. If you go all blues, more.
    Since you'll lose hit and expertise, going all blues may drop too much of the stats, so find out what works best for you.

Your defense is high enough, so those defense enchants are rather suboptimal. Put 275 health on your chest, armor on your cloak and the pvp stamina enchant on your shoulders, they'll all get you further.

After you make those changes, see if there are any stats you are lacking that you need to enchant for - my advice will make your hit rating and expertise drop by quite a bit, but threat shouldn't be much of an issue anyway. (Remember - that's what hit and expertise are - threat stats.)

I don't know much about warrior prot specs, but yours looks fine to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Way too many hit and expertise gems and enchants.

As a tank you should only be using hybrid gems to pick up >+9 stam bonus.

Your professions are not the best for a tank. Skinning does nothing for you (as a tank). Mining is much better > toughness = +30 stam.

Change def/hit etc enchants for armour or stamina.

Have you read http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-Tanking-Guide? If not it is an excellent start to gemming & enchanting.

When your wife says you are harder to heal, is that compared to an equally geared tank?

did pick up that trinket, and I will be taking another look at my gems. I was told by another veteran player that I needed the expertise and hit, but I will try to incorporate that w/ the hybrid gems.

I never even considered the professions as an option for tanking buffs, so thanks for that!
    As far as enchanting is concerned, that should be ok right?

My wife is comparing to other warr tanks, but usually they have higher hp or gear scores.

Thank you again for your advice.

With the exception of inscription, herbalism and skinning, all the professions give more or less equal bonuses to tanks, so yeah, enchanting is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

made these changes, lemme know what you think

Looking good you can drop one hit gem 163 is the rating. I get what you are trying to do having your hit and EXP caps as best as possible but, there are tanks tanking ICC herioc with as little as 40 hit. I think more Stam will be better for you than hit and EXP cap. Professions have been mentioned but if you don't need Skinning swap it for mining. There is a better shield from normal Icc dungeon and 2 weapons you can use as a warrior. You don't have much of that delicious bonus armor from Frost Badge Gear which is why you are harder to heal. Good luck you look in great shape though.

EDIT: Your spec is smells like fresh baked cookies
    Last edited by Tinytankz; 04-15-2010 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeynutt10 View Post
    Lately I feel like I have really struggled in the new ICC dungeons. I'm talking FoS, PoS, etc. I am no way raid ready at least as MT (in my opinion). I seem to be taking a ton of damage and I am well over cap for defense.

I'm frustrated because my wife who is a great healer, says I take more damage than she sees w/ other warr tanks and she seems to be the only one that can keep me alive these days. I don't want to just put blame on the healer since it has been several occasions of late that I have wiped.

Can anyone help?
    Thanks!
    I just started tanking a few weeks ago on my paladin, and I can tell you with very little hit and expertise that I still hit things and do just fine. Though, I would suggest that you get plenty of stam to increase your HP pool. But what I have yet to see anyone say is to get stam gems with avoidences. I suppose this is still a topic of contension and much dissagreement. But if you have 30% avoidences total at 50k hp, your effective hp is 65k. yet another tank at 40k hp with 50% total avoidences and mitigations has an EHP of 60k.. Still not more, but avoidence and mitigation does matter.

As for Martie's "no such thing as def cap" yeah, that's wrong in my opinion. At 540 def rating you remove "critical" from the boss mobs attack table completely. So you want that number at least, though more doesn't hurt.

Just add some more stam gems, maybe some combo stam + avoid/mitigation gems, and go from there.

Can't see your armory from work but the advive I read from other people is correct. You shouldn't gem +20 Hit unless you really suffer from misses a lot. You gem the hybrids versions of it, with Stamina combined. But in general you shouldn't have to gem for hit. Try to get a reasonable amount of hit from your gear, same for expertise.
    As said there is no defense cap. There is softcap, where you become uncrittable to raid bosses, the 540 defense you'll see. You'll have no problem getting there. However, defense after that cap will still increase your avoidance and isn't useless. In most cases tho, you don't want to gem or enchant for it if you are above that soft cap.

Again, I can't see your gear but some things you should aim for if you haven't gotten them yet : A tanking weapon from HoR heroic, a shield from HoR normal. cloak from HoR normal. Black Heart (ToC normal) and Glyph of Indomitability (emblems) are nice trinkets until you get to raid. Then, if you don't have them yet, the 245 crafted bracers are quite cheap these days and are very hard to beat until ICC10.
    After you gotten most of those pieces and feel more and more ready, go do ToC10 for a better shield, belt and boots. If there are any icc rep runs on your server, try to join them for 4 runs. 4 rep runs = friendly with Ashen Verdict = a 251 tanking ring.
    If you have the money for it, buy the Tanking ranged weapon on the AH. On my server it's only 2k gold and it's probably best in slot.

Hope it helped.

ok I maxed my mining in two days, did a bunch of re-gemming and got the cloak to drop in HoR reg! I am working on the shield, I also bought that trinket w/ the triumph badges!

Thank you all so much for your advice! It seems to be making a difference!

Sir you have made all the right changes only nitpicks to be had now, all we can tell you is to save frost and start doing Raids cause your ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeynutt10 View Post
    did pick up that trinket, and I will be taking another look at my gems. I was told by another veteran player that I needed the expertise and hit, but I will try to incorporate that w/ the hybrid gems.

I never even considered the professions as an option for tanking buffs, so thanks for that!
    As far as enchanting is concerned, that should be ok right?

My wife is comparing to other warr tanks, but usually they have higher hp or gear scores.

Thank you again for your advice.
    You don't need expertise or hit if you're dead. Additionally, if your threat is no good, more offensive stats will not help you. What is your rotation like? I did most of ICC25 with 16 expertise and 3% hit and had no problems at all. Don't worry about those, more stamina and more armor will help you the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Can anyone link the PVP shoulder enchant and where I can find it, as well as the tank ranged weapon?

Thanks!

p.s. Accidently did HoR on heroic yesterday, only one wipe and that was because i was leading in dps LOL!

You get that shoulder enchant from sw , the place were you buy pvp gear, hes the one of the guys standing near the entrance.

With the gear available to you and badges available to you not inc crafted or frost badge stuff, here is what you could/should/can look like right now

http://www.chardev.org/?profile=394677

+ Reply to Thread