+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior gearing

Prot Warrior gearing

Hey guys, I could use your help a little bit.

I just purchased the 251 t-10 pants (for my 2-piece bonus), only to get the 264's to drop off Marrowgar off of ICC-25 last night. I'm fairly certain that it is a no-brainer to throw on the 264 legs, but I am wondering where this leaves me in terms of my next frost purchase, because I'm already missing that 2-piece bonus. Feel free to take a quick look at my toon (Realm: Anvilmar, Toon: Galarungi) and let me know your thoughts.

Helm or shoulders next? I'm also having some trouble finding some decent trinkets. I know that the skeleton key is a great stamina trinket, but that 6400 damage absorption seems pretty worthless, as bosses are hitting for around 15k at the moment, and I have issues with "over-stacking" stamina since I'm already sitting around 56k fully buffed. It just seems a little redundant to boost stamina with no other gain. I'd really like to get some trinkets that give me avoidance/armor, if anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Also, last question , what are your thoughts on shifting dreadstone? I've started gemming for it, and they seem to be AWESOME, as they cover all the bases for a warrior tank (dodge, armor (which gives AP, though I know its basically nothing), and crit). In terms of obtaining socket bonuses, at what point should I gem for the socket bonus over pure +30 stamina? I usually set the bar at +9 or higher.

Thanks for your help and I'd appreciate any comments/constructive criticism you have in terms of my gear

Here is the link to my armory page: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...r&cn=Galarungi
    Last edited by Galarungi; 04-14-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Link to armory

Link to your Wow Armory helps (you just copy paste it in here), and I'll move this to the HALP forum.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

If anyone has some pointers, I'd appreciate it!

Gearing

For your question about the t-10 legs, the 264's are way better. Unless you plan on upgrading the tier pants the 264's are better in every way. A lot of ICC raiders think that the tier set is a mandatory thing. It really isn't, especially for warriors. The 2 set bonus imo is crap. It only adds a 20% increased damage on your shockwave and SS. Unless you are having threat issues which most tanks these days aren't, this bonus is a real throwaway. For those who go for the full 4 set bonus it is also the same. The only good thing from this is a 10k hp bubble once every minute at most. This does add a cooldown but the stats from other 264 gear with additional sockets can easily outweigh that bonus.

As for the skeleton key it isn't an AMAZING trinket, but if it is all you have access to atm it is a great health booster. You said that the 6800 dmg absorb is crap. But coupled with the scarab I have I can put up a 10k health bubble. I use this as a mini last stand and it really does helps for fights where you can anticipate incoming damage such as PP phase 3 or festergut after 3 inhales. A tank with 50k health with last stand can generate 15k health, but that health is only a health cushion, the key actually absorbs and negates that damage. If you want a more avoidance heavy trinket you can simply get the organ off of PP or Glyph always works.

For gemming the simple way to explain it is if you like hp more, socket blue with stam and hybrids to reach the set bonus if its 9+ stam or higher. If you like avoidance more stack hybrids regardless.

You also act like having a ton of hp is a bad thing. Having a lot of hp is not bad as long as you are gemming correctly. If you start to gem say pure dodge or pure defense in reds and yellows I would highly discourage it. The majority of the tanking community and myself look down on people who do 100% stam, but if you gem smart and grab stam bonuses coupled with avoidance hybrids that would be the smart thing to do.

If you still are unsure just gem +10 dodge +15 stam in reds, +30 stam in blues, and +10 defense +15 stam in yellows, that will give you balanced stam and avoidance.

I think the idea with T10 is to collect it, but use other 264 pieces till you can upgrade the T10 with trophies. For tanks, 264 stats > 251 T10 set bonuses.

56k buffed health is ok, but on fights like Festergut and LK you can never have enough. My DK has 61k 10man buffed, and even in my Blood tank spec w/ the newly buffed Will of the Necropolis, Festergut 25 and LK 10 can still take me down to around 10-30% with single hits (the LK has a Phase2 strike that does 50k). So EH gear and trinkets still > all.

I would snag your 4 set 251 with the first 4 tier items you can, and upgrade those to 264 and then get your 5th item as a 264 offset piece. Like my current situation, I ended up with T264 Helm, Shoulders, Gloves and Legs....thats just the ones I got bc 264 offset didnt drop so I upgraded my 232, 245 and 258 level stuff with the 264 tier gear, and snagged the 264 chest from Marrowgar. From there you can just gobble up offset gear and rotate it in when / as needed. I now have Bone Commanders Pauldrons and Gloves of the Kraken that I can rotate in, break my 4 set 264 yet have more EH since the offset items each have 1 more socket to their name

+ Reply to Thread