+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What tank class should i go with?

What tank class should i go with?

Ok, so I have an 80 DK, and a 80 paladin I have been tanking ICC with. My problem is I find my paladin extremely boring. I was wondering if I should finish leveling my warrior, or just go with my dk? I havent really touched my dk in some time and last time I tanked with him I found the play style not quite to my tastes. What do you guys think I should roll into Cataclysm with?

Whatever class you find the most fun.

Fair warning: First flame gets this thread locked.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

If you're not liking the Paladin, definitely give the DK a try. What is it about the Paladin you find boring? What was it about the DK that wasn't to your taste?

Often, I notice a lot of people like the idea of tanking more than tanking itself. They like the attention and it's fun when they're getting loot, but farming as a tank is just tedious for them. It may be you are just this type of person that doesn't actually enjoy tanking. Now, I'm not saying that's you, but try to identify what made you want to use the Paladin the first place. What is different about the Warrior that you think will make tanking more fun?

Basically, you're being pretty vague right now and what you're asking isn't something we'll likely be able to answer well without a lot more specifics.

The DK style may change a bit with the re-working of the tri-tanking specs into a single tree with the start of Cata. You might want to give it a go round once the talents have been redone, to get an idea of how it plays, it could be significantly different.

The difference between my pally tank (who is admitedly, only level 63) and my warrior tank is that I find myself waiting for CDs more on my pally where as my warrior I am constantly using different moves. My dk falls imbetween (there is usually something to press, but once in a while I spend all my runes and my runic power & find myself waiting on CDs).

Everything else aside, I would suggest warrior. Simply for the reason that new expansion, new class, it seems like that would make the game the most fun for you. Personally, having tanked up both my DK & warrior, I will probably be going into Cata with my pally, just because he's newer than the other two.
    Last edited by Smaken; 04-13-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling is fun!
    I'm so tanky I get up at 5:40 in the morning.

What I'm finding boring is the set rotations, there is no variance, any variance my threat drops and its a wipe lol. 969 all the time is extremely boring to me, I do love tanking tho, Ive tanked on one toon or another since WoTLK was released. To me its the funnest roll to do, having to be aware of everything thats going on in the raid, lol I dont like to just smash buttons to put out the highest numbers.

Toronto, Ontario. (I understand I play an EU server.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitus View Post
    What I'm finding boring is the set rotations, there is no variance, any variance my threat drops and its a wipe lol. 969 all the time is extremely boring to me, I do love tanking tho, Ive tanked on one toon or another since WoTLK was released.
    You know, I dont use 969. I found my own way that I like much better. Try experimenting with your class, and not listening to what all the others have said. You'll find a sweet spot somewhere Guaranteed.

Warrior by far. If you find your pally boring you'll eventually find your DK boring too, and sometimes even frustrating (d'oh runes on cd, can't do this or that when you really need to). Blood especially I find has too much dead-time gaps b/t cd's and rune cd's, Frost is more fun with massive Howling Blast AoE crits that sometimes shoot you to the top of dmg meters, but even that gets boring after a while.

Warriors are by far the most fun tank - exceptionally mobile w/ Warbringer (possibly the most fun talent in the game imho), Infinte rage in any encounter you don't overgear, lots of abilites to use, never a free gcd. I forgot who said this but, "All the other tanks just have to hold aggro and eat the damage, warriors actually have the tools to do something about it." Very true.

I got a 80 prot pally, an 80 blood dk and my main a 80 feral druid tank. My prot warrior is only 53 but it's coming up. I love tanking, I have other alts but at the end of the day I would rather be in front of the mob getting hit then anywhere else. I personally have found out of all my tanking classes, pally is kinda... boring. To a degree it's kinda the 969 deal, but as Insomnia pointed out there is a lot of variance there once you get comfortable. On the other hand... there are a lotta times where 969 is the best and only way to go. For me it was the micro manging of all my buffs. Divine plea and Holy shield, on top of making sure I have the right seal up.

Doing my DK is a lot simplier, especially as blood. You throw up your diseases, make sure they don't fall off, then you get to play around with your runes as the situation warrants. It takes a while to actually get the hang of it but it's pretty simple once you got it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitus View Post
    Ok, so I have an 80 DK, and a 80 paladin I have been tanking ICC with. My problem is I find my paladin extremely boring. I was wondering if I should finish leveling my warrior, or just go with my dk? I havent really touched my dk in some time and last time I tanked with him I found the play style not quite to my tastes. What do you guys think I should roll into Cataclysm with?
    It really does depend on your playstyle. That being said, if you aren't having fun in a class, then switch out. There's also nothing wrong with having them all right there waiting, and playing around with them once Cataclysm rolls out. Personally, I do not like tanking on my DK. I can't stomach leveling my warrior. (She's my bank alt). And I love my pally.

Look over the planned changes, play with specs. In short, if you aren't having fun, you're doing it wrong! It's your $15/mo, and if you aren't having fun, then it's not worth the time and money you are investing.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
    You know, I dont use 969. I found my own way that I like much better. Try experimenting with your class, and not listening to what all the others have said. You'll find a sweet spot somewhere Guaranteed.
    You know, I've found too many cases where 969 isn't feasible. (Saurfang comes to mind). My threat is fine, my dps is fine. Have fun! 969 is a good STARTING point for people.
    I'm an alt-oholic. I'm ok with that.
    http://warcraftid.com/card/170/n/73a...f/sholozar.jpg

If you like mobility and warping around the map at high speeds then go warrior.. heroic leap is making a comeback so thats just another move. I have found dk's to be rather boring.. once you get the rotation down its really all you have to do.. A warrior has a trick for almost every encounter and situation.. Theres so many way to go about doing the same thing.. what to mass pull? charge/SW, intercept next pack tc intervene healer :P ALot of flexability.

I retired my old warrior for a rogue, cleared icc and guess what now i haev a 76 warrior on the go :P.. this time as pure arms/fury mybe do some tanking at 80.. its a great class imo anyway you want to cut it.

The only issue i have with the warrior class is at low gear lvls and rage in pvp situations, happens every xpac, warrior are just a hugely gear dependent class..

+ Reply to Thread