+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Still possible to arena as a clicker?

Still possible to arena as a clicker?

Have never done Arenas save maybe a season back in tbc. I've tried to stop being a clicker many times in WoW, but it's never really worked out especially with my small hands.

So my question is, is it still possible to arena? Kind of want to start getting into it, but all my WoW friends I know in person, that are kind of elitists, tell me that it'd be a waste of time trying as a clicker especially the warrior class.

Confirm? Deny?

you could. it would be hard because of travel time (mouse) and slow reaction time. I would suggest binding 1 through = to your abilities and doing BG's untill you get the hang of it.

Like the above post you can, you'll just be a bit slower then other people on your reactions, what squats said I'd keybind just a few of your main abilities like if your arms Mortal strike, charge and overpower are the ones off the top of my head.

Just use the keyboard for however long it takes. No matter how much you want to click, use your binds. If you find yourself clicking, stop immediately. I used to click too, it's a real hinderance on your playing skills.

I have small hands too, just take it slow. Start of with BG's and things. Stuff that doesn't really matter. Then after you're semi-confident in your nonclicking abilities, try out some arena.

If you find that reaching buttons on your normal keyboard is a nuisance, especially getting your fingers back to WASD because you have to lift your palm, then you should seriously consider investing in a gamepad.
    It will bring all the keys much closer. As with all new things, it will take time to learn to use keys fast, but bringing them closer to you will overcome your first large hurdle to Arena pwnage.

It's possible to. But generally you're going to tunnel vision your bars and have terrible reaction times and situational awareness. I strongly suggest you set up keybinds for all of your abilities, hide your action bars, and just force yourself to learn to play with keybinds. You will get so much better by doing so.

You will be hugely disadvantaged but sure you can still play Maybe you can click a few abilities but definitely not your primary abilities. Which keys are you not able to reach? I can't imagine your hands being so small that you can't have at least 15 useful keybinds. Take the keyboard turning keys and S(backup SLOWLY) off and use them for macros - mouse turn and strafe sideways to backup. Use alt- and ctrl- combos to turn just those 3 easily reached buttons into 9 keybinds. If you can reach ASD surely you can reach ZXCF? add in alt/ctrl QWE and you've got 28 keybinds within about 2-3 inches of each other. With 28 keybinds you can bind everything you need - then turn off your bars so you can't see them and go spend a frustrating day in BGs until you get used to your keybinds.

A possible option you could try is using a multi-button mouse solely to control movement of your character, freeing up the QWEASD keys to use for abilities (along with shift and alt modifiers).

I'm in the same boat as you, despite using Bloodwraith's great guide on keybinds (linked under his post, thx btw Blood) I still can't get the hang of it, soon as I get into a fight I fail and instantly revert to clicking. And as it was messing me up when tanking, I gave up and went back to normal.

I agree with the others though, in BGs I get flattened by those who mouse turn, they are easy to spot, hard to hit and take me apart quite quickly, as I have to keep looking at my bars, and by the time I click an ability they are almost always behind me.

The hardest part for me was not using the mouse to target, and relying on Tab didn't always target what I wanted. Anyone got any ideas on how I could improve that for the next time I try?

Quote Originally Posted by Anomandaris View Post
    The hardest part for me was not using the mouse to target, and relying on Tab didn't always target what I wanted. Anyone got any ideas on how I could improve that for the next time I try?
    I personally still target by clicking on either their nameplates or the gladius frame. I also use tab but probably no as often as I click those.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorm View Post
    but it's never really worked out especially with my small hands.
    Look at what you can reach and work around that? Try this:

Can you comfortably reach Ctrl and 5? If not, go down to Ctrl and 4.
    Can you reach T? Can you reach G?

There are tons of things you can do to bind your keys, you're not limited to your number-keys. I have things on Q R E T F G V C X etc. and then of course there's modifiers, Shift, Ctrl and Alt namely.

If nothing is working out for you try at least binding the things that require a fast reaction time. I'm not sure what class you're playing but things like, PVP Trinket, Spell reflect, Ice Block, Vanish, things that just have to go off fast.

Have never done Arenas save maybe a season back in tbc. I've tried to stop being a clicker many times in WoW, but it's never really worked out especially with my small hands.

So my question is, is it still possible to arena? Kind of want to start getting into it, but all my WoW friends I know in person, that are kind of elitists, tell me that it'd be a waste of time trying as a clicker especially the warrior class.

Confirm? Deny?
    Being a clicker as a melee class is going to be a death sentance for you because good arena players will be able to tell you are clicking then just stay behind you for a good portion of the fight. If you really want to get better my suggestion would be to key bind all your moves to the keyboard. Go to arenajunkies.com and look up their key binding help section. I think it's in the forums and then after keybinding everything you have and i mean everything do wsg and fight mid till you have it down pat. Don't forget to move abilities around a bit till you are comfortable with it.

Remember the worst classes to be a clicker are the melee classes then caster damage then caster heals (which is still bad)

Also consider a peripheral if you find your hand doesn't fit the keyboard, or you can't reach as many keys as you'd like. I use a Belkin N52te Nostromo Speed Pad and highly recommend it.

Be a Champion, not a hero.
    Drae

http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1454507.jpg

I would not recommand to play iy as a clicker! i play with key bindings and if u first learn your bindings its ezz mode!

Confirm? Deny?
    Denied!

I don't think you'll do well at all as a clicker. If your goal is just to do something different and have some fun, have at it and have fun! But if you were hoping to get a high enough rating to get some of the better pvp gear/weapons, I think you'll need to ditch the clicking.

Yes, you can.

However you are hindering yourself by doing so.

My hands are quite small, and I play a Feral Druid in PVP. I use keybinds, I bind everything close to me, and have about 55 keybinds. Basically, anything for any concievable situation that has a relevancy threshold of interest. As a feral its easier, and a tip I can give to you for this is because stance/form.

When we switch to a new form your current bar changes, meaning I get to use my 1-6 again, I have advanced on this however, and have added Q, E, F, R. Into this (replacing the higher numbers that are more difficult to reach).

This allows me to have savage roar and all other finishing moves close to hand - but does not mean I waste bars outside of my default casting bar that I use for dispels/forms/cc/pots&trinks&/predatory heals (rgrowth/ht)/racial etc.

You can do the same with defensive/battle/berserking stance, and it may help simplify the bars for you and help your comfort.

Alternatively, stay clicking. My brother was stubborn, and before I taught him how to use hotkeys he got to 2050 rating 2v2 in S2 as a subtelty rogue by clicking. I can empathise with you, I use so many hotkeys and my hand is often throbbing after a few hours of arena, comfort and fun should be more important - as hotkeys will be required for anything about 2k rating in WotLK.

Not to the best of your ability. It can be done well, but you will be about half the player you could be.

Clicking really does hinder your gameplay. Your reaction time is heavily reduced, meaning you will be unable to react swiftly and desively in tense arena matches. Also, your partners can pick up quite easily if your a 'clicker' and believe me, if they find out they can get pretty pissed off. It's simple to keybind and only takes a while to master your keys. The key is to set out a layout you are comfortable with, and have immediate access to. You don't want to be streching all the way over your keyboard to activate one of your most commonly used abilities. There are many decent keybind guides out there, which are very detailed and thorough. Keep in mind that once you've formed a set your happy with, practise in duels/BGs or skirmishes before you head out and do rated.

You can get away with clicking as a healer and possibly as a ranged class... but for most melee classes, clicking and keyboard turning is really, really bad.

When finding arena partners, I always ask potential teammates if they keyboard turn. If it's they respond with a yes, I know I wouldn't want them in my team.

I know some people who simply refuse to try mouse turning and keybinding their abilities. These people will never be successful in the arena, where you have to constantly learn from your mistakes and improve your gameplay. If it's clear that keybinding is superior to clicking in every way, why wouldn't you change? Laziness?

"Small hands" isn't really an excuse... bind A and D to strafe...

1-5
    f1-f4
    q e z x c r f v
    Shift, ctrl modifiers

There's plenty of easily reachable keys on your keyboard.

I might sound like a jerk, but like I said... I really don't see why someone would not put the time in to keybind, both in PVE and PVP.
    Last edited by Genome852; 02-21-2010 at 09:36 AM.

need help! I'm new in WoW and likes to play rogue. starting to read more about the game and specially regarding my toon. in here I notice people talk about key binding - what do this mean, is it macro? I'm assuming a clicker is someone that click the icon in game, like sprinting or other things to make the toon move. Sorry if I sounded to be so dumb, but I wish to improve specially in pvp. is there any other site or even books that I can get more info about how to play my rogue and be a super pvper someday? :-)

thanks in advance,
    Sunshine

Key bindings = Binding certain buttons on your keyboard (Usually some variation of these `12345QERTFGC, combined with Shift/Ctrl/Alt modifiers) to different action bar buttons. They prevent you from tunneling your action bars and increase your reaction time. I have a guide on effective keybinding. The link can be found in my signature below this.

Also some sites to look at for PvP:

http://www.arenajunkies.com/

http://skill-capped.com/ (Should be released very soon)

+ Reply to Thread