+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Tank

New Tank

Hey guys, I'm a fairly new warrior tank and I have a few questions I hope you can help me with. I did a lot of searches but most of the info I found was outdated so I want to make sure I have the most up to date information.

Multi Target Tanking - First of all I want to make sure my rotation is correct. Im toying with a couple right now.

1. Charge-TC-SW-Spam Cleave when above 40 rage - use TC and SW when off CD.
    OR Charge
    2. Charge-TC-SW-Tab between targets and apply Dev - use TC and SW when off CD.

Should I use demo shout as well? Does it produce threat?

Single mob tanking
    1. Charge - stack Dev 5 times, spam heroic strike, and use shield slam, rev when off CD

Is it better to let your 5 sunder stacks expire and apply 5 more? or keep refreshing so it doesn't expire?

Take a look at the below, it will give a lot of info on PROT Warrior .

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...-tanking-guide

That said, for mobs I normally open up with running into the mob, dropping a T/C, then as i run in face them away and hit a shockwave and a cleave. At that point I start using my tab button and hitting Shield Slam, Revenge and a macro that does Devastate and Sunder Armor. Just keep an eye using tidy plates threat addon ( or omen ) and rinse and repeat.
    If I have them not on cooldown i'll throw my shield or one handed weapon to open the fight and get some aggro. Just remember to keep vigilance on someone to get the taunt reset available. Personally, I'm a noob at this, but cleave isn't all that great for me; i'd rather tab around and use other things.

Single Target is just Revenge, Dev/Sunder SS and whatever isn't on cooldown that creates threat. Demo shout would be fine to throw up, but to be frank i seem to most times just forget to do it.

Just keep stacking Sunder. And now that Revenge is a monster threat when glyph'd, it's really pretty to watch omen spike up on hits.

Charge is great, and TC will get the mob's attention. But do not use SW right away, because if the whole mob gets stunned, there goes your aggro. Also, Cleave will consume massive amounts of aggro. You will probably have to get used to tabbing, and devastate and Shield Slam are your primary attacks. After you charge and build up a little aggro, back up a touch and line the mob up for a Shockwave. Then slap devastate on the whole mob with some shield slams or revenge (it now hits 2 targets) mixed in, depending on cooldown.

Shockwave and TC are great for multiple targets, but don't use shockwave to early.
    Always stay behind your tank and in front of your healer.

Quote Originally Posted by jh7468 View Post
    Charge is great, and TC will get the mob's attention. But do not use SW right away, because if the whole mob gets stunned, there goes your aggro. Also, Cleave will consume massive amounts of aggro. You will probably have to get used to tabbing, and devastate and Shield Slam are your primary attacks. After you charge and build up a little aggro, back up a touch and line the mob up for a Shockwave. Then slap devastate on the whole mob with some shield slams or revenge (it now hits 2 targets) mixed in, depending on cooldown.

Shockwave and TC are great for multiple targets, but don't use shockwave to early.
    Just for clarification, Mob = Movable Object (one creature), not a mob of creatures like your context suggest. Also there's nothing wrong with SW right after TC + positioning, most warrior specs include improved charge, you'll have plenty of rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

You know I never actually knew what mob stood for, and I first heard it over a decade ago in EverQuest... I feel dumb.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Thanks for the advice guys. So stunning the targets with SW resets threat? I didn't know this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    Just for clarification, Mob = Movable Object (one creature), not a mob of creatures like your context suggest. Also there's nothing wrong with SW right after TC + positioning, most warrior specs include improved charge, you'll have plenty of rage.
    I always thought mob (singular) = monster or beast and mobs (plural) = more than one

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexrus View Post
    2. Charge-TC-SW-Tab between targets and apply Dev - use TC and SW when off CD.
    Glyph Devastate, and also Sunder Armor optionally.
    Should I use demo shout as well? Does it produce threat?
    Absolutely, use it right after TC or SW, then keep the debuff up.
    Is it better to let your 5 sunder stacks expire and apply 5 more? or keep refreshing so it doesn't expire?
    Don't let it expire. This should never be an issue anyway as Sunder Armor lasts 30s and you should be using Devastate much more frequently when Rev & SS are off cd.
    So stunning the targets with SW resets threat?
    No it doesn't, it deals alot threat. I think what jh meant is that if you use SW right after Charge, you'll have 3s of no mobs hitting on you, hence no rage gen, hence you can't hit mobs and build more threat. This creates a window where your dps might pull aggro.

That's only an issue if you start the pull little or no rage. If you're chain pulling b/t mob groups and already have at least 1/3 to 1/2 rage bar or more b/f you charge, it's fine to do this.
    I always thought mob (singular) = monster or beast and mobs (plural) = more than one
    That's correct. mob = a single mobile unit. mobs = multiple mobile units.

Best tip ever for multimob tanking is to throw a skull mark on whatever you happen to be hitting. That way, if some random AoEing mage pulls aggro, it's his fault for ignoring marks.

It may sound silly and petty, but by simply putting up the mark, people seem to pay a bit more attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Best tip ever for multimob tanking is to throw a skull mark on whatever you happen to be hitting. That way, if some random AoEing mage pulls aggro, it's his fault for ignoring marks.

It may sound silly and petty, but by simply putting up the mark, people seem to pay a bit more attention.
    if i ever mark these days, i find that dps will just ignore skull and it always seems to be the last one to die every time >8(
    http://www.zetbit.com/sig-1341818.jpg
    " 'Thin' is a relative term..."

Thanks for the advice guys. So stunning the targets with SW resets threat? I didn't know this.

It does. But the origination is nerd speak for movable object.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

+ Reply to Thread