+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Almost "Scared" to tank?!

Almost "Scared" to tank?!

Hello,

I am a DK tank seriously thinking about going DPS, the only real reason I can think of is because im "Scared" to tank?

Any other tanks got this? I can tank toc fine but i am scared to venture into ICC! !

I am lacking in confidence! Anyone got any advice, I was thinking I just stay tank because its what I inspire to do and *hopefully* overcome my "fear"

!!!!!

I can't say that I understand your mentality there, but I would guess the cause has something to do with you not having much knowledge about what you're doing when tanking. Improve that and any confidence you lack will not be something any of us can help with.

The best way to conquer your fear is to actually go in there and give it a try.
    if you are doing it with mates or a guild for the first time is always easier

I had this problem for a long time. Groups can be difficult, especially if you're pugging something - from incompetent to downright rude and everything in between. A few things helped me:

1. Being as familiar as possible with the encounter before venturing inside.

2. Bringing my own healer - definitely a confidence boost to have someone you know healing you the first time round.

3. Having someone who's more experienced in that raid with you, and talking over what you did later on. Sometimes a knowing eye cast over a pull which went inexplicably and horribly wrong can be really helpful to get you tanking more smoothly the next time.

What can also sometimes work is letting people know upfront that you're running the raid for the first time, being specific about how they can help, e.g. keeping an eye on their threat, giving you time to pull where you're uncertain. It really depends on company: sometimes you'll get snarked at in a hail of "noob" but you'd be amazed at how many people are willing to cut you a little slack about your performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalousie View Post
    I had this problem for a long time. Groups can be difficult, especially if you're pugging something - from incompetent to downright rude and everything in between. A few things helped me:

1. Being as familiar as possible with the encounter before venturing inside.

2. Bringing my own healer - definitely a confidence boost to have someone you know healing you the first time round.

3. Having someone who's more experienced in that raid with you, and talking over what you did later on. Sometimes a knowing eye cast over a pull which went inexplicably and horribly wrong can be really helpful to get you tanking more smoothly the next time.

What can also sometimes work is letting people know upfront that you're running the raid for the first time, being specific about how they can help, e.g. keeping an eye on their threat, giving you time to pull where you're uncertain. It really depends on company: sometimes you'll get snarked at in a hail of "noob" but you'd be amazed at how many people are willing to cut you a little slack about your performance.

I agree with these point whole heartedly. Honestly everyone makes mistakes but on most realms someone will try to hang you for it. But give it a go.

Also, grow a thick skin and stop being a pansy when it comes to internet nerds (trolls, asshats, etc)

If you don't think you can tank ICC because you haven't had much experience actually tanking, I'd say don't go to ICC, focus on tanking other things, run your friends alts through lower level instances (err, in gear level not char) until you're more comfortable actually tanking

If you do have the experience, what the hell are you waiting for? The worst that can happen is you'll wipe over and over due to retarded things that aren't your fault whatsoever... or the group can fall apart halfway through the trash... or hell, maybe you didn't quite read up on that fight nearly enough, and were surprised by something and you wiped the raid, fess up to it and move on

I kind of know what you mean. I jumped into this game over this past summer, and was absolutely clueless as to the mechanics of the game. At level 80, my cousin helped me to learn the game, but i had to learn how to tank on my own. To be honest, it just takes practice. when i first stepped into an ICC, (this is going to sound kind of lame but...) i felt kind of nervous. Now i can clear up to the LK with my eyes closed as a tank. You really have to just do heroics and lower tier raids until you really get the hang of the role, key binds, rotations, and mentality of tanking. Before you know, you will feel so comfortable tanking, that when you switch to a DPS off spec, it just feels weird.

Also, the tips that everybody else above me are veryyy useful in becoming a good tank.
    Last edited by eazo; 04-12-2010 at 08:30 PM.

I was a total noob when I first started tanking. I was lv 68ish and I got that far almost exclusively by solo questing. I had next to zero instance experience and I had no clue what the prot talents and defensive stance were all about. I didn't even understand why I'd want to taunt something lol. I realized around this time that it's much easier to get into instances if you "tank" and I did a little research and started tanking pug 5mans (after realizing that I COULD re-do my talents after all....). I ran 5mans alllllll day long until I learned every pull in every instance and was able to easily lead groups through the dungeons. I'd suggest you just keep pugging 5mans as much as possible until you are super comfortable with tanking and leading ppl. If you want to learn some of the ICC fights, look for pugs and tell them you'd like to join as an offtank. Let them know you aren't super experienced, and try to ask the other tank for help.

Its all about doing it enough times. I remember feeling very uncertain at different points in my tanking career and there are still moments where I dont feel 100% secure in what I am doing but knowing the fights and knowing your class well (or even better than most) really helps so go for that.

I'm meeting a lot of new tanks lately, mostly because I'm into my 70s on my healer. Having tanked all these instances before, I often share my knowledge with the new tanks. You'd be surprised how many people there are that still don't know the Ingvar fight. Some are receptive, some just queued tank to skip the queue.

You get experience by doing. Doesn't matter if you've been tanking since level 15, or 80. More you do, the better you will get. Soon you will be picking out the mistakes in others in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sjk View Post
    Hello,

I am a DK tank seriously thinking about going DPS, the only real reason I can think of is because im "Scared" to tank?

Any other tanks got this? I can tank toc fine but i am scared to venture into ICC! !

I am lacking in confidence! Anyone got any advice, I was thinking I just stay tank because its what I inspire to do and *hopefully* overcome my "fear"

!!!!!

I did this too, but I made a decision. I had only ever DPS'ed and wanted to know what tanking and healing was like. So I took in my pride and went to study. Watched Videos, looked around on forums, asked people in the guild and my server for help and just went and did it. Now I love tanking. Healing is still a bit stressfull, but as with anything...it's worth doing right. So just take some time to put for a little bit of effort to empower yourself with some know how and you should be fine.

Good luck mate.

I had the FEAR back when i started tanking.
    half the time i didnt actually know when a wipe was my fault or if i was just getting blamed which didnt help

dont be afraid to speak up when its obvious it wasnt your fault..
    keep in mind that its alot easier for you to get a new group

i always take my own healer these days ill very very rarely pug a healer....if they r bad its just makes u look bad.
    keep at it an dont let people put you down
    we where all bad once (especially me)

+ Reply to Thread