+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Check me if I'm wrong....but 1 pc mage armor = 1 month?

Quote Originally Posted by CatabriOnEarthen View Post
    You don't have full raid buffs. That will significantly help your dps. Change out the purple gems in your gear for pure Runed Cardinal Ruby. +5 SP isn't worth the socket bonus. Read mage threads at EJ, etc.

Done, except pants because I want new pants soon.

90% of the dps casters I see that say they do the proper rotation but still get poor dps simply suck at spamming their abilities. It makes sense, since you WOULD have to be a dolt to hose the arcane mage rotation in any other way. I've seen players with same class/spec and MORE haste than another use 30% fewer spells over the course of the same boss fight. Guess what that does to dps? When I was a warlock back in pre-3.0 BC, I used quartz to attain 2600 dps frequently. Give it a try. I used to hit each action 3 times right as quartz approached the red line.

Wait... you said arcane barrage? Are you really doing that? You should be using AM when MISSILE barrage procs. Arcane barrage is for tossing on the move only, unless something massive has changed in mage land.

Quote Originally Posted by Mawini View Post
    90% of the dps casters I see that say they do the proper rotation but still get poor dps simply suck at spamming their abilities. It makes sense, since you WOULD have to be a dolt to hose the arcane mage rotation in any other way. I've seen players with same class/spec and MORE haste than another use 30% fewer spells over the course of the same boss fight. Guess what that does to dps? When I was a warlock back in pre-3.0 BC, I used quartz to attain 2600 dps frequently. Give it a try. I used to hit each action 3 times right as quartz approached the red line.
    This is a great YouTube video narrated by one of the top Hunters in the world that visually illustrates what Mawini is talking about. You can apply it to any class in the game, and it really is good advice. It's not always about the quality of your tools, but how you use them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgDjG_0ecTI
    Last edited by Raysere; 04-12-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Forgot link.

3.8k dps on a dummy is GOOD. You have no boomchicken and kings and might and god knows what insane lock buffs your missing 3.8k on a damn dummy translates to around 5k in a 10 man ( i dont do 25's i pug em but my knowledge is limited)

Have you run a Trial of the Crusader raid recently? A raid setting with buffs from other players will greatly increase your DPS and give you an idea of what you would pull in ICC. Although now with the 10% buff to damage done in ICC, your numbers will be even higher.
    So if I pull higher numbers in TOC or whatever, rather than on dummies, that is my DPS? I thought it had to be what you could do on your own, not counting other players' buffs.

Also, when folks say that my dps is too low, where are they pulling that info? Wowarmory??

When people ask me what my DPS is I tell them what I do in a raid (25 or 10 depending on what we're talking about) on a non-gimmicky fight (IE. Not a fight like Twin Valkyries which gives players huge damage buffs).

I get my DPS numbers from running an addon called Recount. It tracks everything: damage done, healing done, damage taken, deaths, etc. Pretty useful tool for judging how you're doing week to week.

You can download it here: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-a...s/recount.aspx

Unzip it and then put it into your WoW -> Interface -> Addons folder.

Wait... you said arcane barrage? Are you really doing that? You should be using AM when MISSILE barrage procs. Arcane barrage is for tossing on the move only, unless something massive has changed in mage land.
    Huh?? What?? I'm not doing the right one?? When I practice it's Arcane Barrage that keeps my dps up...arc missle seems to only lower it. HELP!!!

3.8k dps on a dummy is GOOD. You have no boomchicken and kings and might and god knows what insane lock buffs your missing 3.8k on a damn dummy translates to around 5k in a 10 man ( i dont do 25's i pug em but my knowledge is limited)
    HUH?? Is this right? Because it feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels right..and sooooooooooooooooooo good!!?? Thoughts? When folks look at my dps in game, where are they looking? Maybe just at my gear? It seems they are 'pulling actual factual numbers' but how?

I got the GEARSCORE addon and it says my gear score is 5100. That's good, no?

gearscore is stupid, don't use it, for the love of god. it creates false senses of security in people. the reason your GS is so high is because you're rolling in high end pvp gear, which like we've been saying over and over again, is NOT ideal for pve.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Liltuscany View Post
    I got the GEARSCORE addon and it says my gear score is 5100. That's good, no?
    The only thing gearscore is good for, is to get a general sense of what level of gear the person has. It can't tell you:

1) If they're wearing the correct gear
    2) If they have gemmed, specced, glyphed and enchanted correctly (at least you can't tell from the raw number it gives you)
    3) If they are any good at all.

I think you're missing the point. You're not supposed to be able to level to 80 and start getting the highest tier immediately. While you can get pieces slowly over time like you are originally saying, how you actually are supposed to be getting tier 10 is by raiding in tier 10 content. You have to get up to the point where you are able to enter ICC (mostly tier 9 level gear) and then you can actually earn tier 10 pieces significantly faster. For people that started in ICC all they are doing now is farming emblems and selling Primordial Saronites because they have already purchased everything they needed.

If you run tier 10, you get tier 10 faster. Don't complain about the rate you can gain the highest tier's gear when you can't even go to the highest tier.

You don't gain tier 10 by farming just heroics for 6 months. You gain tier 10 by obtaining tier 9 and raiding tier 10.

There are steps to reaching your goal. It isn't just one big hurdle.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Ok. Let's start over since a ton of this is my fault.

You can land around 40 frost badges a week this way:

One random heroic each day for 2 badges (7x2) = 14
    Complete the weekly raid (1x5) = 5
    Run VoA (wintergrasp bosses) in 10 AND 25 man mode (2x2) = 4 (plus the chance that your bloodmage gloves or pants drop - Bloodmage drops in VoA10, Sanctified Bloodmage drops in VoA25)
    Pug a 25 man and 10 man ICC, assuming you only down the first wing (4x2 + 4x2) = 16 (plus the chance for gear you can use)
    Do the weekly in the 10 man ICC (assuming the group isn't fail) (1x5) = 5

This nets you between 39 and 44 badges depending on the weekly quest in ICC and if your group can clear it or not.

Your priority list as an Arcane Mage for frost gear is this: Bloodmage Hood (95 Frost), Bloodmage Shoulderpads (60 Frost), Meteor Chaser's Raiment (95 Frost), Circle of Ossus (60 frost, assuming you don't get the Crushing Coldwrath Belt off Marrowgar 25), Bloodmage Gloves (60 Frost, assuming you don't get them off VoA 10/25), Bloodmage Leggings (95 Frost, assuming you don't get them off VoA 10/25). I put the gloves and legs at the end assuming that you don't want to buy them and just want them to drop off the ice boss in VoA.

You need to fill in your other gear from Triumph Badge gear and drops in heroics. Get Seethe (weapon) from HPoS, Shriveled Heart (offhand) from HHoR, Brimstone Igniter (wand, 25 Triumph), Talisman of Resurgence (trinket, 50 Triumph), Arcane Loops of Anger (Neck) from HFoS, Band of the Invoker (ring, 35 Triumph), Khadgar's Hood, Shoulders, Leggings, Gloves of Conquest (T9 - 232 set pieces) for whatever you don't have T10 of. Have someone make you a Merlin's Robe (Tailoring) for your chest (Ilvl 245) until you can afford the Frost chest, and have some Bejeweled Wizards Bracers made (Tailoring) for your wrists (Ilvl 245). There are a set of caster boots in one of the new heroics, but when you can afford it get Sandals of Consecration made.

As for the Sanctified gear, you have to be in a 25 man group that kills Saurfang, Putricide, Sindragosa, or Lanathel and they drop a token called the Vanquisher's Mark of Sanctification. If you win that item, you can go to the vendor and upgrade one of your existing bloodmage pieces to a sanctified bloodmage piece.

Go to http://www.wow-heroes.com and enter your server and your name into it. It will show you what content you should be raiding and highlight your errors, as well as show you armory links to gear upgrades you can get. Gearscore as an addon is pretty fail.
    Last edited by Goros; 04-13-2010 at 10:33 AM.

Cry Havoc! And let slip the Ghosts of War..

Huh?? What?? I'm not doing the right one?? When I practice it's Arcane Barrage that keeps my dps up...arc missle seems to only lower it. HELP!!!

HUH?? Is this right? Because it feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels right..and sooooooooooooooooooo good!!?? Thoughts? When folks look at my dps in game, where are they looking? Maybe just at my gear? It seems they are 'pulling actual factual numbers' but how?

Hi liltuscany,
    A couple of things, I wanted to give you kudos for sticking with it trying to better yourself. Visiting this site is a start and the prgress of this thread are proof of that. I have been following this thread for a couple of days now.
    Don't take everything that I say as verbatim or gospel.

After reading your post above I am unclear if you are using the correct rotation.

This is what I do
    Arcane blast 4 times, and then utilize my missile barrage proc and then cast arcane missiles.

It sounds like you are doing arcane blast 4 times and then casting Arcane barrage, is this correct? If so you will want to change that out.

You have a choice of two different methods, I dont know which is better I mix it up a little bit myself. but here they are.

Cast Arcane Blast 4 times and then cast your arcane missiles (With proc)
    or
    Cast arcane blast until you get the proc and then cast arcane missiles.

I have not found a definitive as to which is better myself.

I use two mods for this Power auras to let me know when I have arcane blast debuff x4 and missile barrage sound
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...rageSound.html
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...asClassic.html

You can do it with just power aura's since they can make a sound as well, I just really like the missile barrage sound is why I continue to use it.

Hi liltuscany,
    A couple of things, I wanted to give you kudos for sticking with it trying to better yourself. Visiting this site is a start and the prgress of this thread are proof of that. I have been following this thread for a couple of days now.
    Don't take everything that I say as verbatim or gospel.

After reading your post above I am unclear if you are using the correct rotation.

This is what I do
    Arcane blast 4 times, and then utilize my missile barrage proc and then cast arcane missiles.

It sounds like you are doing arcane blast 4 times and then casting Arcane barrage, is this correct? If so you will want to change that out.

You have a choice of two different methods, I dont know which is better I mix it up a little bit myself. but here they are.

Cast Arcane Blast 4 times and then cast your arcane missiles (With proc)
    or
    Cast arcane blast until you get the proc and then cast arcane missiles.

I have not found a definitive as to which is better myself.

I use two mods for this Power auras to let me know when I have arcane blast debuff x4 and missile barrage sound
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...rageSound.html
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...asClassic.html

You can do it with just power aura's since they can make a sound as well, I just really like the missile barrage sound is why I continue to use it.

+ Reply to Thread