+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paladin Tanking Questions?

Paladin Tanking Questions?

First off i just got back from a 9 month deployment so i'm kinda behind on all the new changes for us paladin tanks. Although i have read some forums on here some of the things just dont make sense to me in terms of probability. Well here are my questions.

1) What is better for threat a fast swinging weapon or slow? ( I seen in the one forum that they seemed to conclude overtime that a slow weapon is better, but if you use a faster swinging weapon wont you get more procs from SoCorruption as well as have more chances at critically hitting your opponent due to more swings over time?)

2) What is better to gem 10 Agi 15 Stam or 10 Str 15 Stam? (10 Str 15 Stam will give you more threat due to the change to Touched by Light talent)

3) What are your opinions on Reckoning? ( I happen to like it very much its a good threat boost and i currently have 3/5 points in that talent. Is there an optimum ammount of points to put into that talent?)

4) I have always gone to the holy tree and gotten the 15% dmg increase for Seal of Corruption. I see most tanks do not take this talent and instead go into the ret tree to get the Crusade talent in ret. Wouldn't Seals of the Pure provide more damage over time.

Thanks for the Help All who answer.

Also as far as reckoning is concerned.
    5) What does blizzard or anyone deem a "damaging attack to be?" Is it any dmg whatsoever or does an attack have to take a certain percentage of health in order for it to have the chance of a proc.

Slow is better when using seal of command because the prov of the seal will do more damage, im presuming faster is better with seal of vengeance at start of fights due to the stacks building up quicker, 10 agi 15 stam is the best to gem because it gives dodge, crit and armour. Reckoning shouldnt be used to be honest, its a terrible talent for threat, Crusade gives 6% damage increase to everything, seals of the pure gives 15% to judgement and SoV, the 6% damage to everything gives more threat while seals of the pure only gives it 1 one ability and a DoT therefore less threat. a Damaging attack i presume will be just any melee attack regarding to reckoning. Im sure someone will elaborate if i didnt explain it very well and apoligies if i didnt.

Quote Originally Posted by kwo2328 View Post
    First off i just got back from a 9 month deployment so i'm kinda behind on all the new changes for us paladin tanks. Although i have read some forums on here some of the things just dont make sense to me in terms of probability. Well here are my questions.

1) What is better for threat a fast swinging weapon or slow? ( I seen in the one forum that they seemed to conclude overtime that a slow weapon is better, but if you use a faster swinging weapon wont you get more procs from SoCorruption as well as have more chances at critically hitting your opponent due to more swings over time?)

2) What is better to gem 10 Agi 15 Stam or 10 Str 15 Stam? (10 Str 15 Stam will give you more threat due to the change to Touched by Light talent)

3) What are your opinions on Reckoning? ( I happen to like it very much its a good threat boost and i currently have 3/5 points in that talent. Is there an optimum ammount of points to put into that talent?)

4) I have always gone to the holy tree and gotten the 15% dmg increase for Seal of Corruption. I see most tanks do not take this talent and instead go into the ret tree to get the Crusade talent in ret. Wouldn't Seals of the Pure provide more damage over time.

Thanks for the Help All who answer.
    1.) Given equal other stats, slow weapons, but not because of the number of swings, etc, but because of HotR seal procs.

2.) Go with AGI/STAM. There isn't a "better" in a general sense, since both gems tackle different problems. Address survivability first, then threat/dps

3.) Optimum is 5/5, HOWEVER, 3/5 is pretty darn close to 5/5, so just stick with 3/5 and use those other 2 points elsewhere. As for it's worth as a talent as a whole, it is one of a few choices you have (the other big contenders being 3/5 Divinity and DivSac/DivGuard and ImpHoJ+somethingelse. Honestly, the DivSac/Guard combo is better from a progression standpoint, but I too choose reckoning most of the time (mostly for heroics).

4. SotP is SLIGHTLY better against mobs that are not Demon, Undead, Human, or Elemental. However, Crusade is MUCH better against those types. Go with Crusade, the slight decrease against Giants, Robots, etc. is not really worth losing out on the large increase on everything else (especially given ICC is the main content available).

Quote Originally Posted by kwo2328 View Post
    Also as far as reckoning is concerned.
    5) What does blizzard or anyone deem a "damaging attack to be?" Is it any dmg whatsoever or does an attack have to take a certain percentage of health in order for it to have the chance of a proc.
    Any damaging hit, including blocks will proc reckoning. Dodges/Parries/Misses will not though.

1) Slow weapons are better for threat by a moderate margin. You can use one if you like, I highly recommend a slow DPS weapon for tanking heroics and the like, but for real progression tanking you should usually use a "proper" tanking weapon. Because the 33% weapon damage from Seal of Vengeance procs off of Hammer of the Righteous as well as your melee autoattacks, a slower weapon is better for threat. The same logic applies to Seal of Command, although I don't know specifically which abilities it procs off of.

2) Apples and oranges. Strength is a pure threat stat (block value is so weak defensively that it hardly counts towards survival), Agility is primarily a defensive stat with a small amount of crit for threat.

3) Reckoning is nice for heroics (I wouldn't recommend more than 3/5 in it though, just grab enough points to advance to the next tier), but if you're doing any kind of raid content you would be better served with the cooldown from Divine Sacrifice/Guardian. Not only does it give you a very useful cooldown, but it also buffs your Sacred Shield.

4) As jere noted, Crusade is better against the vast majority of mobs and bosses, especially in ToC/ToGC and ICC. It's also worth noting that subbing into the Ret tree lets you pick up goodies like Vindication (which is a required damage reduction talent for any serious raiding tank - skippable for heroics though), Pursuit of Justice (not required but the mobility is very nice), and Seal of Command (great for AoE tanking, especially for heroics).

No one tanks in a void.........

+ Reply to Thread